Installation Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pborg

Dec 30, 2008
Michigan
I am looking for a little help. I have Direct TV installed in my house and I want to set up a TV in my barn. I bought a used Direct TV 18" dual LNB dish at a garage sale and want to install it on my pole barn (it's about 200 feet to the building from my house. I have D11 receivers and I want to take one from the house and put it in the barn. Do I need to run in two coaxes from the dish? If so do I need a multi switch if I am only going to have only one TV out there?

I am looking for a little help. I have Direct TV installed in my house and I want to set up a TV in my barn. I bought a used Direct TV 18" dual LNB dish at a garage sale and want to install it on my pole barn (it's about 200 feet to the building from my house. I have D11 receivers and I want to take one from the house and put it in the barn. Do I need to run in two coaxes from the dish? If so do I need a multi switch if I am only going to have only one TV out there?
Welcome to the site !
This depends on how many total tuners your using. IF you have the new equipment DISH wise, 5 lnb set up or newer, there will be access to 4 outputs from the dish LNB itself, just run a line to the barn and hook it up to the rec. in the barn.
IF you have more than 4 tuners (remember a dvr counts as 2) you would need a MS.

Jimbo

Jimbo,
The dish that is on the house has two coaxes coming from it. I do not know how many LNB's are on it I assume it is the same a dual (I had this installed in 2007). I thought I read that there is a limitation on distance that is why I bought this used dish thinking that I could just mount the dish on the barn and use one of the boxes in the barn. What I wasn't sure of was the dual LNB did I need to run two coax cables, and if so would I need a multi switch (and which one) to combine them back to one feed to the box.

Since it is 200' from the house to the barn, you are better off putting up the second dish you bought, assuming that you have a good line of sight from the barn to the sats. Otherwise you would need to go with a much better (and more expensive) coax and a power signal booster. In the situation you describe, probably not worth it.

Make sure that the "J" mount is 100% plumb in all directions (place your level on the top - not the sides). Take the elevation number off your current dish to get you in the ballpark. You should only need 1 coax run with that box - no multiswitch needed for that straight run set-up.

In your particular situation, setting a second dish probably is the better option.
Yes, you only need 1 line from the lnb to the rec, unless you want to have a DVR out there.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.