Installation Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulk123

Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I have Directv for 10 years in Manhattan in NYC. I am on the 7th floor in a 22 story building. My directv service died 2 weeks ago and I called for a repairman. I was told it was $79 to repair but $99 to go to HD including the new HD receiver and installation of the new dish, so I figured why not. The installation man shows up last week (with no equipment, tells me it is in the truck) and without going to the roof tells me that I probably can't get Directv because of taller surrounding buildings. I point to my standard directv box and tell him he must be mistaken, I have had service for 10 years and there were no new buildings that went up in the last 2 weeks that would block my view. He then changes his tune and says well I won't be able to get HD. I go up to the roof with him and show him 4 directv antennas (dishes), one of which is much larger and clearly must be for HD. I go back downstairs and he eventually comes downstairs and tells me he tapped into the large dish and he wants to see if I get reception. He flips on the box (still the standard one, the new one is still "in the truck") and we can't get reception, but he tells me my cables from the roof are ok because he can see transponder 101 on the signal strength meter on the tv screen but can't see the other two transponders. He leaves and says the supervisor will call me, but tells me it is unlikely that I will get HD and he doesn't understand why he can't restore standard service. (The supervisor never called, I had to call directv and complain) I trace the wire from the large dish and ask the occupant on the 19th floor if they get HD and they say they do (although I have some concern that they didn't understand me, their english was not good and my japanese is non-existent).

Has anyone out there had similar problems? Is it possible that if I have 10 years of perfect directv that I can't now get HD? Or is it more likely that this installer had no clue? If anyone has any thoughts let me know, because they are scheduled to come back tomorrow and if I get a similar story I want to be able to speak intelligently about something where I have only limited knowledge.

Thanks

Last edited:
My guess is it is unlikely you will get HD because he didn't have the equipment in the truck.

Could it have something to do with the distance of the cable run?

Connect your cable to the existing Ka/Ku dish.........DTV provided that dish.......it can be rigged without interrupting the other service.

You may need more cables for a recorder.

Joe

When he said he wasent getting ny signal besides 101, what was this on the reciever or his signal meter? If the first, he should of reran the satellite setup and selected 3lnb and let it run the setup for that, if u got signal for all 3, then swaping out the standard for the hd box shouldof worked. Do you know by chance what kind of switch is feeding the outhers that have HD? Also the bggerdish does it say slimline on it or does the lnbs loon like 2 seperate sets "sidecar" with 2 rg6 jumpers goin back to the main one?

techman is wrong.

A SD box can't see Ka signals from 99/103. you would need the mpeg4 receiver to tune in. Does he have a super buddy with him during installation? :eureka

Not sure why the OP posted his or her email addy in the thread; no real need for it and it should be removed for a couple of good reasons.

When he said he wasent getting ny signal besides 101, what was this on the reciever or his signal meter? If the first, he should of reran the satellite setup and selected 3lnb and let it run the setup for that, if u got signal for all 3, then swaping out the standard for the hd box shouldof worked. Do you know by chance what kind of switch is feeding the outhers that have HD? Also the bggerdish does it say slimline on it or does the lnbs loon like 2 seperate sets "sidecar" with 2 rg6 jumpers goin back to the main one?

Sorry, but I really don't know any of the answers to the type of switch, type of dish or type of jumper. I do know he had no meter, he just did the test on the tv screen.

A SD box can't see Ka signals from 99/103. you would need the mpeg4 receiver to tune in. Does he have a super buddy with him during installation? :eureka

Super buddy? He had no one with him and the only equipment he seemed to have was some kind of 3 inch telescope that he pointed at the horizon and said I couldn't get HD.

The Super Buddy is a tool. The 3 inch telescope could be a clinometer (elevation measurement) or
a direction finder / binocular........If the existing dish was an HD Ka/Ku (as DTV tech was asking) you just connect your wire. ..............4 lines out of the HD dish to a wb6x8.......connect all feed lines.....done.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts