Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jackal24

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Cincinnati
I am looking at getting d* installed with two hd receivers. Is this like cable where if I add another receiver later, I can just use a regular cable splitter and split off of the coax?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I am looking at getting d* installed with two hd receivers. Is this like cable where if I add another receiver later, I can just use a regular cable splitter and split off of the coax?

Nope, you cannot use any splitters between the dish and the recvr, unless it's a SWM set up. The SWM set up has it's own special Splitter that needs to be used, can't use just any type of splitter either.

Basically I want two receivers set up in one room for right now, but may move them to a hidden closet in another room later. My plan was to have one receiver put in each room by the installer so the cables are there, and then move both receivers into the same room after he leaves. I guess that won't work. Any ideas?

jackal24,

if you signup for the hd dvr service you'll probably get a slimline dish with a swm lnb. what happens is one coax is wired from the swm lnb into your house to a power brick per say, which sends 21v of power through the line and seperates up to 8 frequencies over the coax so you can tune to 8 channels off one coax for a whole home solution. dtv will have 'splitters' but not in the usual sense which are made specifically for an swm installation to send frequencies to different rooms in your house.

Again, you can let the tech do his job and absolutely change things later, but you need to use the proper hardware. Just eBay directv swm splitter, then you can do what you want. The only thing you need to watch for is if the power inserter ends up on the line u need split, so I would request it to be placed elsewhere.

traustic said:
jackal24,

if you signup for the hd dvr service you'll probably get a slimline dish with a swm lnb.

What about 2 non-DVR HD receivers? What are the chances of getting a swm installation? Any way to improve the chances? I may add whole home with DVR later down the road and want to simplify things by starting out with swm.

starting one way then adding later will cost you much more cash out of pocket; best to get what you want all upfront; up to the max of the free deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)