Installed a RAID for EHD

NSS.

Dead. Doomed. Kaput. Toes up. Don't work no more. BAD idea from "tech" support. Will call tomorrow and demand refund.

Might have lost everything. Took great effort and a side deal with the devil to get it back in display 3 (RAID 1) mode. So what. "Unsupported device" no matter what I do now. Simply cannot get the ViP722 to recognize this box. Not with both drives, not with either drive. I was dearly hoping to save some of the recordings. Maybe the next enclosure will recognize the HDDs?

Let's beat this to death now....

I left the EHD RAID on overnight. It seemed to eventually "come to it's senses." I set it up to transfer most of it's contents back onto the DVR. A 12 hour run. Hopefully this will work.

I called the company, and will get a call later to return the item.

If it were irrelevant as you insist, DISH probably wouldn't have been so consistent in recommending against it.

The Technical Chats get this question pretty much each time out and the answer has remained the same. If it is RAID implementation dependent, then offering a blanket assurance as you have is irresponsible.

You're going along in the thread ( against a current) - I would be open your own thread and start posting your concerns there with providing technical explanation of such attemps. But here your voice is lost. Sorry.

Called the company. They suggest that in "3" - mirrored - it may or may not see a single installed drive correctly, as it "expects" two. That would explain why sometimes it appears to work, and sometimes it gives an unrecognized/unsupported error msg. They suggest I put it in JBOD mode, which will then see two identical volumes. Or just the one, if only one drive is installed.

Does this sound reasonable to you? Smith P especially, your thoughts on this?
I'm agree with Lord_Vader, JBOD is not what must be set for your desire. (Just keep in mind - it's worst config - logical volume what span all disks, so no slicing for speedup, no redundancy - any problem and whole volume will gone south).
It is discouraging fact - HW/FW cannot handle properly one disk failure and do easy recovering process for support RAID-1 after replace it.

Half-baked expensive device without proper implementation of RAID algorithms - nasty thing for customers who expect right functioning . :(

The JBOD was just to ensure that the disks were imaged properly. Then I would switch back to RAID-1. However, the point is moot, because the unit simply does not function reliably or properly. Switching between modes is exceedingly difficult. It's going back.

For the short run, I went out and bought a WD Green 1TB and Antec enclosure.

Called the company. They suggest that in "3" - mirrored - it may or may not see a single installed drive correctly, as it "expects" two. That would explain why sometimes it appears to work, and sometimes it gives an unrecognized/unsupported error msg. They suggest I put it in JBOD mode, which will then see two identical volumes. Or just the one, if only one drive is installed.

Does this sound reasonable to you? Smith P especially, your thoughts on this?

Hello navychop

Your name seems to pop up everywhere about hopper 3 and RAID 1 back up possibilities

To save us both time below I will post something I typed out earlier

this is important stuff

I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Does RAID 1 actually WORK for Hopper 3 as a dependable and usable backup in case 1 of the RAID 1 drives fails?

I have a Dish Network Hopper 3

If 1 of the 2 drives in the external RAID 1 fails

And then you plug the other good drive directly into the hopper 3, doesn’t the Hopper 3 just automatically ERASE it and reformat it?

Therefore you will NOT have your usable back up.

And you’ve just LOST ALL of your recordings?

I really Really REALLY want to have my Hopper 3 recording’s backed up somehow!!!

I’m thinking about buying a 4 TB Western Digital My Book Duo

I was hoping that if I hook it up as a RAID 1 it will provide me with the dependable and usable BACK UP that I want so badly.

BUT will this back up be USABLE when 1 drive fails?

Or will it just get ERASED and reformatted when plugged back into the Hopper 3?

Please help me… I really need someone’s help… I’m pretty smart… But I’m no expert

I am aware of the option of a RAID 1 hooked up independently into a customizable external hard drive enclosure

As opposed to buying the factory made encased Western Digital 4TB My Book Duo.

But either way DOES this work?

Will this work for me?

I need 100% assurance that my Hopper 3 recordings are backed up and fully recoverable, dependable and usable!!!

If 1 of the RAID 1 drives fail and I go to the other good drive to recover my recordings

Will it just get ERASED and reformatted by the Hopper 3?

Is it EVEN POSSIBLE to back up Hopper 3 recordIngs?

Has anyone ever done this successfully?

After 1 of the hard drive fails in a RAID 1

I don’t care how I back up the Hopper 3 recordings.

I just want the recordings backed up somehow.

It doesn’t have to be RAID 1 or whatever.

please Please PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

I bought the [ame]"AMS DS-DS3RPRO Black USB 2.0 & eSATA 2 HDD SATA External RAID Storage Enclosure" that someone here pointed out. More info on it here.[/ame] On the side it says "Venus."

I also bought two WD 1TB Black SATA drives. Since the unit is set up as mirrored, or RAID 1, I actually only have 1TB available, not 2TB. But it's nice and safe.

The box is nice, and I like the handle on top as I sometimes move EHDs between my ViP722 DVRs.

The box comes with some instructions, badly translated into English. So badly, in fact, they have placed stickers inside covering the previous instructions. And still got it wrong. The assembly part of the instructions boils down to "use the screws to assemble." No problem, it's really pretty obvious how to attach the drives to the slide in "drawers." You can see on the pictures in the links where there are long latches. These latches also have tiny triangular "safety" locks that you can turn, with provided "key," to lock the drives in the enclosure so no one can easily remove them.

On the front, there is a "powered and ready" green light, and a green/red LED above each drive. And a single digit readout. And a power button. There is also a "backup software" button, but that does not apply to us.

On the back you plug in the power, and have a dip switch, fan hi/lo switch, USB and eSATA connectors, alarm disable switch and "RAID apply" switch. The fan blows out the back.

The instructions talk about powering on the device before you actually connect the power cord (mid line brick). And they do not use standard terminology such as RAID 1. They refer to it as SAFE or mirror, display 3. You can span or do other options. And there is software, but it is not needed for this purpose.

I set the dip switches per the directions, but could not get it to change from "1" in the display to "3" - JBOD to mirrored. Finally I was about to call the company but fiddled with moving the dips back and forth repeatedly and it suddenly worked.

Transferred some expendable programs over and played a bit of one. Works just fine. Not completely quiet, but certainly more than acceptable, considering you can just turn it off when not in use.

More later, but late for supper.

Hello sir…

It’s now 2018 I’m just curious if you ever had any luck with your RAID 1 Project

if it’s not too much trouble please read below what I just typed up earlier

and tell me what you think or if you know anybody that can help me

Does RAID 1 actually WORK for Hopper 3 as a dependable and usable backup in case 1 of the RAID 1 drives fails?

And then you plug the other good drive directly into the hopper 3, doesn’t the Hopper 3 just automatically ERASE it and reformat it?

I really Really REALLY want to have my Hopper 3 recording’s backed up somehow!!!

I was hoping that if I hook it up as a RAID 1 it will provide me with the dependable and usable BACK UP that I want so badly.

Please help me… I really need someone’s help… I’m pretty smart… But I’m no expert

I am aware of the option of a RAID 1 hooked up independently into a customizable external hard drive enclosure

Will this work for me?

I need 100% assurance that my Hopper 3 recordings are backed up and fully recoverable, dependable and usable!!!

If 1 of the RAID 1 drives fail and I go to the other good drive to recover my recordings

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

Note that mirroring (or any RAID application) defies the single LUN requirement of the DISH EHD solution.

Hello harshness…

I’m now 10 years into the future from your posting but if it’s not too much trouble please read what I typed a little bit ago here in good old 2018

Perhaps you can help or you might know of somebody that can help … Here you go

Will this work for me?

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

Welcome aboard!

It’s archiving, not backing up. IOW, you Move the programs to the EHD, not Copy them.

I had a drive in a RAID 1 enclosure die on me once. There are lights on the enclosure to warn you of this. I powered down, removed the enclosure from the Hopper, and removed the failed HDD. I replaced it. Not sure if I used the same brand and model, but probably did. Same size at least, is better. The RAID will only see up to the capacity of the smaller drive. NEVER put in a replacement HDD that is smaller than the good one, capacity wise.

I powered up the enclosure, probably still unconnected to the Hopper, and let it run overnight. It cloned the info from the good drive to the new one. Next day, it was done and working fine ever since.

I power down my EHDs when not in use.

Now, back to preparing the Southern MD ham.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you can send it ALL back, grab the My Book Mirror. It's working great for me.

Hello navy chop

did you ever experience a hard drive failure in your my book RAID 1 to make sure that you’re recording‘s are actually backed up?

In case you didn’t see my post that I wrote today here it is below

you might find it interesting and perhaps you can help or might know of somebody that can help

Will this work for me?

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

If you can send it ALL back, grab the My Book Mirror. It's working great for me.

Hello gadget freak

I think I just sent a response to the wrong person navy chop below it’s something I typed up earlier

if you could take a look at it and offer any help would be much appreciated … Thank you

Will this work for me?

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)