Installer coming tomorrow, will he provide RF modulators?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RollTide1017

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Montgomery, AL
We are switching from Dish to D* tomorrow and having a Genie system installed. We only have 1 HDTV, the other 3 are SD and 2 of them are small 13" TVs that only have a single coax input. Will the installer have some RF modulators, even if I have to pay for them, or do I need to get these ahead of time?

I hope he can use the same dish mounting bracket and wires leading into the house, will make it any easier install if he can (have no clue what I'm going to have to send back to Dish yet).

It's highly doubtful he will carry any modulators. You can use a vcr if you have one. The wiring may be usable, but the bracket likely is not.

RollTide1017 said:
We are switching from Dish to D* tomorrow and having a Genie system installed. We only have 1 HDTV, the other 3 are SD and 2 of them are small 13" TVs that only have a single coax input. Will the installer have some RF modulators, even if I have to pay for them, or do I need to get these ahead of time?

I hope he can use the same dish mounting bracket and wires leading into the house, will make it any easier install if he can (have no clue what I'm going to have to send back to Dish yet).

Actually, if he don't have them he may be able to make a call and get them. Most O&O and HSP providers carry them either on their trucks, in the warehouse, or both. However, having them or having a VCR is a lot better considering a 2-3 hour install may take 4-5 since he may have to leave to get them. Less money for him, more of your time.

Lanarian said:
Check the TV's to see if they have RCA (Yellow, Red and White) inputs. If they do, you should be good to go

Not so fast, the ten pin that the C31 requires has been back ordered! Yeah, push a system and not have it all available for install, makes sense. We have been waiting in our market for a little over a week now and directv isn't telling us an eta yet of when we can get them

Not so fast, the ten pin that the C31 requires has been back ordered! Yeah, push a system and not have it all available for install, makes sense. We have been waiting in our market for a little over a week now and directv isn't telling us an eta yet of when we can get them
That's not good at all. One of those TVs is my daughters and we can't go one night without it, if we can't have her TV up and running tomorrow then the install will have to be pushed back.

These 2 TVs do not have RCA inputs, just a single coax (cable/ANT) input, they're old TVs.

Actually found one RF modulator and one old TV buried in a closet that had a single yellow/white (mono) video input. The installer actually had the composite cables, he didn't have any component which the 4th TV could have used but, oh well. Everything is up and running and working great so far! Happy with the switch from Dish so far, only miss a few features from the Dish DVR (like groups). Love having the 5 tuners, especially since we record show from Disney Jr. and Nick Jr. almost all day for the kids!

Glad you are up and running, and be thankful the installer had the cables as they are few and far between right now being they are on back order

Had our first problem this morning, 2 of the clients wouldn't display live TV or recordings. We could see the menus but they wouldn't play anything. Hit the red reset button on the HR34 and now everything is working again. Is there something I could have tried before resetting the whole system, is there a reset button on the clients? I just hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence, constant resets with our DVR from Dish is one of the reasons we switched.

Your daughters can't even go one night without TV? Don't they have any books to read?

was you just getting a grey screen on the clients? like been mentioned it is a new system and still a few bugs here and there, but probably what was going on was something with the software as it prolly downloaded during the night.

Had our first problem this morning, 2 of the clients wouldn't display live TV or recordings. We could see the menus but they wouldn't play anything. Hit the red reset button on the HR34 and now everything is working again. Is there something I could have tried before resetting the whole system, is there a reset button on the clients? I just hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence, constant resets with our DVR from Dish is one of the reasons we switched.

Had this happen few times with one of my C31 clients. It was attached to the Westinghouse LCD in spare bedroom via HDMI cable. We couldn't figure out what the problem was, it would happen after few hours after reset. I picked up a component cable from the installer and replaced the HDMI connection, problem went away and it hasn't happen since. Don't think you have all HDMI connections but I thought I post it anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)