Installer did not replace my 311 like i asked!!help

Robdoggz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
Stockton, Ca
Ok i had an installer come replace my 811 with a 211 that went well im happy. I am upset cause they were supposed to come yesterday and replace my 311 its been having alot of trouble recently with not allowing me to view channels i pay for it says im not authorized to view and cannot lock on sats whether its the 110 or the 119 it works for a few days then craps out like in weekly cycles. Well i was called monday my day off without pay cause i couldnt get anyone to be home at the time they were availible to come the earliest, They said that they had to cancel and come tuesday well i wasnt here and my mom doesnt know anything so they did what they wanted. Here is the result in the pics. I have one question though am i going to miss anything by having the 311 only able to access the 110/119? They bypassed the switch and just left it there im not very happy with their patch job. The 311 still worked like crap when i bypassed the switch when iceburg told me to. I ran it for around 2 days bypassing the switch with same results. What should i do call dish or the dish man they are the ones who hacked this??:confused: Sorry if this sounds like a wuss chant but i told them yesterday that i took the day off work that the least they can do was to come later in the day today so i could be home to make sure its done right guess they didnt listen. And they just removed the sticker on the 311 that had the name of the company who installed it?? I have the dish warranty for what now?? $6 a month down the drain this is BS!!! Oh and more i just turned on my hdtv and i am not getting the 119 on my 211 anymore?:mad:

Attachments

• DCP_0006.jpg
    DCP_0006.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DCP_0007.jpg
    DCP_0007.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 200
  • DCP_0008.jpg
    DCP_0008.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DCP_0009.jpg
    DCP_0009.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I would soooooooooo be on the phone with either (a) the install company or (b) (and better yet!!) Dish complaining up a storm. The wiring is a mess. You have NO 119 on your hi-def. And your original problem is still present

Yea im going to call im concerned about the direct connect to of the 311 to the 110/119 cause that connector is not even covered to keep water off it like the connectors on the switches have that rubber piece. I just rebooted my 211 now its working properly but what about not having 129 on the 311 is that going to loose anything for me?

webbydude said:
I would soooooooooo be on the phone with either (a) the install company or (b) (and better yet!!) Dish complaining up a storm. The wiring is a mess. You have NO 119 on your hi-def. And your original problem is still present
I agree with you, What pisspoor job was made.:(

Not sure about your programming out in No-Cal. I think the only thing you have on the 129 is your hi-def, hence the connection to the 211. Technically speaking, the barrel shouldn't get water in it if the fittings are crimped down. Those EX/XL fittings are internally waterproofed.

The bigger question I have is, is your system even grounded? It's hard to tell without more pix.

That i come to find is it is not grounded since it was first installed in september 04 i had not known much about satellite till i read more and more here. I was supposed to get a D1000 installed last friday when i got my 211 but i decided to keep the two D500's. Do you think dish will come and ground it for me? I aimed the second D500 to the 129 myself thats when i noticed it was not grounded about 2 weeks ago. I wonder if they will hold it against me for aiming the D500 myself and the system not being grounded and after 20 months i found out its not grounded??:confused: Ok i just went outside and double checked their seems to be some kind of ground, after the switches the rg6 runs to the side of the house and into a small plastic utility type box in it what seems like a grounding block where the two rg6 cables go into the block and the other side the same hookup and it has a ground going to the ground pole then it goes onto my recievers. Well thats to ground only the cables right? My dish's themselves do not have a ground on them nor do my switches?

Last edited:
Well, here's the rub. As I posted in one of your other threads, the last installer "owns" the system once he shows up. And because of that, the 90 day clock is reset everytime somebody comes out. You should be entitled to a free service call to, if nothing else, verify and, if needed, install the proper grounding.

Ok thanks for the info i appreciate the help. I am trying to call but my mom is talking to her family from texas and i dont wanna boot her off the phone and unfortunately my cell is broken going tomorrow to replace it what are the odds heh? Anyways here are two more pics.

Attachments

• DCP_0010.JPG
    DCP_0010.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DCP_0011.JPG
    DCP_0011.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 173
Ahhh...it IS grounded. Not exactly up to speed as far as the dish itself; but definately the receivers.

Edit: Not getting the warm-and-fuzzy feeling about the fittings in that box tho. Maybe somebody else can chime in, but to me they certainly don't look like they were compressed all the way.

Ok well so far my recievers are both working but like i said the 311 works on weekly intervals so im starting to think that i should give it a week and it the 311 doesnt crap out just let it be. I know the 311 was acting normal yesterday and this morning but its been cool lately can heat cause the reciever to work erratically? Oh and should the dish themselves be grounded?;)

webbydude said:
Ahhh...it IS grounded. Not exactly up to speed as far as the dish itself; but definately the receivers.

Edit: Not getting the warm-and-fuzzy feeling about the fittings in that box tho. Maybe somebody else can chime in, but to me they certainly don't look like they were compressed all the way.
That's what it looks like when you compress PPC EX connectors with the wrong tool; like the SNS or Digicon.

fittings are compressed, definitely a sub contractor job just by looking at the fittings alone not to mention the staples used to secure the line.

More and more I look at the fittings I would venture to guess the installer used the wrong tool for his fittings. AFAIK, DNS isn't too fond of the plain old EX fittings, more partial to the EX/XL. Something to do with the larger, inner O-rings.

birddoggy said:
no, dish itself doesnt HAVE to be grounded, Dish network dishes don't have a grounding screw on the dishes.

Wrong, reread the NEC inregards to outdoor electrical devices such as antenna's. The mast foot plate has 4 holes in the ankle of the plate of two diferent sizes that to allow for two screw/bolt sizes to be used for grounding, dish does require that not only should the coax be grounded but the dish assembly itsself be grounded per NEC rules.

Robdoggz said:
Ok well so far my recievers are both working but like i said the 311 works on weekly intervals so im starting to think that i should give it a week and it the 311 doesnt crap out just let it be. I know the 311 was acting normal yesterday and this morning but its been cool lately can heat cause the reciever to work erratically? Oh and should the dish themselves be grounded?;)

If you're too concerned about the 311 not having 129, why don't you use the second DP21 and connect it. From the pictures, it looks like the second DP21 has 129 already connected on the right side. Remove the barrel connector and move the cable coming from 119/110 to the left side of the DP21 and the cable going to the receiver connect it to the DP21 and run check switch at the receiver.

That way you will have 129 on the 311 and you eliminate the barrel connector. I think the installer did a lousy job but you can fix it easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)