Status
Please reply by conversation.

AZChris

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
hell
Hi guys,
I just got my hands on a 12' aluminum mesh BUD that is currently laying in the backyard. I need to sink a pipe into concrete and mount it. Does anyone know of a decent installer south of Tucson that could give me a hand or just do the whole thing outright? I'm located in Hereford, AZ. Thanks for the replies!
-Chris

Hey. I notice you have a projector and stuff . So do I. I have put up 2 BUDS entirely on my own. It would have been nice to have help, but I got eager and you know how it is.

There are people who will help you, but I don't think you can expect a contractor installer will be easy to find.

Start with your site survey. Go to different spots on your property, look south and look up for clear sky east and west. Mine is at the northwest corner of my house, mounted above the roof line.

Get the pipe from your local scrap metal yard. When I went, I took the part that slips over the pipe, just to make sure the thing I bought fit right. I would cut some box sections out of the bottom of the pipe to minimize wind-twisting

Pay someone waiting outside of Home Depot to dig the footing hole. Depending on the soil type and how high you want to go, 3x3x3 feet is what I'd dig.

Now the trick is to set the mast in there plumb and hold it rigidly there with braces. You have to remember that concrete is heavy and can move things

3 x 3 x 3 is 27 square feet or one yard of concrete. You could order a yard from a company with a truck. Just make sure they pour that mud in the footing hole real slow.

Check again for plumb immediately upon finishing pour.
Last chance to adjust.

I'm not near you or I'd help.

hard ground

Lone Cloud is right on with the home depot thing, but you would have to supervise. but if the ground is as hard as mine in vegas .hand digging 3 feet is questionable at best. there is a fellow here from phoienix who did it like 6 inchs at a time over a few weeks. pouring water in daily as i recall.
i know a guy with a backhoe here. i would look for a guy he could get your pole up for sure have it plum too. and have a helper with him to put it on the dish on the pole. then you could aline it.
good luck

edit
if you can drill a couple holes in the pole and stick some rebar in there if not get a big muffler clamp or the like on it with some rebar.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I just got my hands on a 12' aluminum mesh BUD that is currently laying in the backyard. I need to sink a pipe into concrete and mount it. Does anyone know of a decent installer south of Tucson that could give me a hand or just do the whole thing outright? I'm located in Hereford, AZ. Thanks for the replies!
-Chris

Wish I was moved to NM now, I'd drive over and help you.
I think it's lots of fun. Even the hard parts

What i did in Arizona http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...178518-info-what-receiver-lnb-10ft-b-u-d.html and http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/179048-got-10-ft-up-pics.html and i dug it by hand with a lot of water and dug a little at a time it took 2 weeks. And i know a little of Tucson as i truck down there a lot, and depends if you are on rock near a mountain or on some like farm land. if i am thinking if you are around the 19 it looks rockie.I went 4 ft down and the pole is 3.50 by 9 ft long and drilled on the bottom of the pole some holes and put 9 in bolts from home depot in stead of rebar and used 9 bag of concrete mix by hand the one with stones in it.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
-Chris

When you say, "give me a hand" what are you expecting? Do you have your pipe? Do you have the concrete? Are you looking for someone with experience to help make sure you do it right? Or are you looking for someone to do all the digging? ;)

Thanks for the help, guys. I found someone that will help out in the next few days. I appreciate all the advice, I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions once I start to align it. Great forum here!:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)