Installer provides poor PQ theories

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MDD

Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Voom just sent out another installer for a second opinion on the less than perfect install I had done a week ago.
The new installer was much more experienced, having installed all forms of satellite dish. His theory on the poor SD quality (major noise in graphics), was that Voom was converting the image from C Band which is where the problems originates. E* and D* use KU Band (?) as eventually will Voom. Only then will the SD noise be better.
My setup (Pioneer Elite 610) also had the weather screen and some others cut off at the top of screen. Some have fixed this by reducing overscan in service menu of Mits sets. His feeling was that the problem would be corrected if my set were hooked up via DVI (not available on my current set). I'm not sure if he's right on this one, as I think I've seen references to this from people using DVI connections.

I'm connected via DVI on my Sony set and I had the same problem. I adjusted overscan and all is fine now.

I have to say that his C-Band theory is all wet. PQ on C-Band is as perfect as you can get with SD. I have been (and still am) a "big dish" man before I added the small DBS dish. Have always felt that C-Band PQ was far superior to the small dish due to the fact that it is first generation, and DBS is second generation and then compressed to boot. The difference for SD is like day and night. Would say your problem is in the box.

Your 2nd installer may have been exprerienced but he needs to get his facts straight. Dish Network, DirecTV and Voom get most of thier "cable" type SD programming from C-Band. Be it analog or digital they all get it from the same place. All 3 satellite providers get thier signal to your reciever via a Ku-Band satellite. Analog programming on C-Band is a 1st generation signal, and outside of HDTV, in my opionion, is the best satellite signal you can get. While I do not have Voom, if thier is noise in the SD signal, it would have to come from Vooms uplink center or in the conversion in the reciever

I know the problem of which he is speaking, they are refering to the sparklies that are in the feed.

I have not had C-band for a long time, but it seems to me the porblem they are having can be cured with the "skew" adjustment on the dish.

The sparklies are present in any high contrast scene, just watch Rolie Polie Olie, or Spike TV then you'll see them!

It's Well Known That All Those HUGHE c-band Sat. Dishes Get A Far Superior Picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts