installer question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Snipr4x4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
How would you define "free professional standard installation" ?

do any of you have a Install quote/invoice sheet that you use for your customers ?

thanks in advance

Job Description:
Mount 18 inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of home, and align to appropriate satellite(s). Route up to four lines of up to 125 Ft (per run) of coaxial cable to two receivers using customer provided multi switch when necessary. Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards. Connect two receivers to existing hard wired phone jacks using supplied wire in DBS boxes. Program supplied remote to two TVs. Activate customer selected programming. Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of their system, and DVR function. Sign and date customers receipt
This is what we do as far as a free installion anything else there will be a extra charge. such as wall fish, pole mount, install phone line to your receivers. and some tech charge to go in you attic and crawl space. if you have no where to ground then you will have to provide surge protector to buy one from the tech

The multiswitch depends. My DTivo install included a 4X8 multiswitch.

Neutron said:
The multiswitch depends. My DTivo install included a 4X8 multiswitch.
Standard Professional Installation should include the appropriate Multiswitch for the job. Unfortunately there are a lot of installers going out on TiVo upgrade orders going 'here you go!' and plop a TiVo into an existing run, not run the second line for the second tuner, and just leave.

When you order a TiVo upgrade, it includes 'Standard Professional Installation' which will include a second line, and if appropriate a new multiswitch.

Yea there are alot of installers that don't know what they are doing. I just had D* installed received the multi switch and everything but was going to try and charge me 50.00 to run the second line to my Dtivo.

In the end I did get it included free after I called the installation manager. But it would be nice if all installers could get on the same page as the good installers out there.

It's a combination of good installers and good contracts. There are unfortunately installers out there that are not getting paid what they should and the customer feels the brunt of this. I am not saying it is right but I was working for a company that did not pay extra for tivo installs so I was told by the BOSS get the customer to reimburse you for the supplies / time. I don't work for those crooks any more and do almost all custom work for free... I am a big fan of carma.

Oh, and installers go to the LETTER of the workorder. If it's not specified in the original work order... they won't do it. They'll even say 'great' stuff like "I'm only a sub-contractor and only DirecTV employees can do X thing".

*sigh*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)