Installer question

nobra81

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
I'm would like to get satellite internet connection. I have some tree trouble. Of hughes, wildblue, and starband do they all use the same birds? Do you have to hit one bird or more? What direction are they in? I'm located at 39429 In south miss.

thanks
steve

nobra81 said:
I'm would like to get satellite internet connection. I have some tree trouble. Of hughes, wildblue, and starband do they all use the same birds? Do you have to hit one bird or more? What direction are they in? I'm located at 39429 In south miss.

thanks
steve

No, all 3 services use different satellites. I can help with WildBlue; maybe the Tate can jump in here & help with Hughes. WildBlue uses KA-band spotbeam technology, and the dish has less than one degree tolerence for being aimed dead on to the satellite

The WildBlue bird (Anik F2) is at 111.1 degrees longitude. According to this little satellite finder software I use, zipcode 39429 is at 89.48 longitude. The WB satellite would need to pointed to a (magnetic North) compass heading of 217 degrees. Hope this helps.

You can't take a chainsaw to some of the tree? :rolleyes:

the default satellite for your area is IA6 for hughesnet its about 54 degrees elevation for you so those would have to be some pretty tall trees...or are they really close to your house?

nobra81,

I am going to send you an IM with some info. If you are in southern Miss and go with Hughes it will more than likely be someone from our company that does your install if you go through the one of the Nationwide sales channel. I sent you the info for our company.

As jellison stated IA6 which is @ 93 west which is almost going to be almost due south at your location is the default bird right now. A couple of more higher elevation ones are AMC 9 @ 83 west, IA8 @ 89 west or G4R @99 west. There are a couple of more in the middle but if you have a shot anywere in that area with a 50+ degree elevation Hughes will be an option "the installer can change your bird but if that needs to be done please be extra nice because it is a headace to do". If you have a compass these birds will be from 170 to 200.

Wildblue's sat has already been posted, as far as Starband goes...................don't bother.

Yes I have a lot of tall pine trees, although less than before Katrina. Due south should not be a problem but will be a long cable run.

Thanks
steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)