Installer Refused to Install

Thanks to everybody for letting me know that the installer did the right thing.
I will probaby give up my dish for the 6 months I am in the appartment :(

One last question. There is a porch light neer the install location. couldn't an installer tie into the main ground system through the poarch light ground.

Thanks to everybody for letting me know that the installer did the right thing.
I will probaby give up my dish for the 6 months I am in the appartment :(

One last question. There is a porch light neer the install location. couldn't an installer tie into the main ground system through the poarch light ground.

Oh yea.. That's what I need to do.. Open up an electrical source and either take a chance of electricuting myself or burning down an apartment complex because the ground wire I stuck in there shorted across the hot wire..

No, that is not an option.. And in the end it still wouldn't pass Dish's requirements on grounding..

You may not have had this issue in the past but expect a bit more of this in the future along with other installs in which will get denied because of the new checks that are being done on installs as stated in another thread.

Ok
So if we have to decline doing all these installs now because they won't pass Dish code, what will you do when Dish won't give you any work because your completion rate is to low?

Ok
So if we have to decline doing all these installs now because they won't pass Dish code, what will you do when Dish won't give you any work because your completion rate is to low?

I've been doing this about 5 years or so now, and I don't think I have had enough that could not be grounded that would make my "completion rate" low. Yeah, the occasionally apartment building or house with very limited mounting locations options. But overall, i'd say there is 1 or 2 a month that I can't install because of no ground. If i'm doing 2 or 3 jobs a day, I don't think that is going to hurt too bad

I am not so concerned about grounding. I only run into a couple a month as well that would not be able to be grounded. I am worried about this 5% LOS issue. That would make a good 30 - 40% of my installs not pass.

Some installers may end up charging premiums due to the risk of not getting paid for the installations for certain situations if they even choose to do the install that way they cover their butt.

New Install - no ground

I just had an install done last Saturday. I'm in the county with no building codes. The installer never mentioned grounding and I never thought about it. Should he have mentioned it to me, should I call them back and ask about it????

A lot of people never even notice the small gauge (18) wire that is part of the coax cable running from the dish to the receivers. That wire is attached to a groundblock, as well as a larger wire running from said groundblock to a grounding source (usually a copper cable or coldwater pipe).

If it isn't grounded I would definitely call up the installation company that did your install and ask them to bring it up to code.

webbydude-

I'm honestly not trying to nitpick or anything and, I know you know your game, but it's 17 awg messenger. :D

gdoles-

Does the service agreement you signed, say anything specific about it not being grounded?

I had a Dish system put in this week in a DW Mobile Home. I set a 2 7/8" Galvanized pipe over two ft into the dirt to mount the two dishes on. The installer ziptied the ground block to the pole and ran a (maybe 12 ga) wire down to an approx 15" piece of 1/4" rebar for the ground. This new pole is approx 30-35' from the pole my meter is on and has the ground rod next to it. Also the telephone co set their own ground rod at the corner of the MH about 60' from meter pole. I think my pole is a better ground than that toy the installer put in.
Bryce

Rebar bad

If he used rebar it is not a good ground. Rebar will rust and you will lose the ground when it does. Also according to the statements here the new national elect code says it needs to be grounded to main house ground. If her used a messenger cable coax then maybe you can attach that to the house elect box to obtain a good ground. I was surprise the other day when I attached a ground wire from my DPP 44 and saw a weak spark. That indicated that there was a small charge on the coax of coming fro my 622.

A 17ga wire is going to protect the system from a lightning strike? I don't think so.

Such a ground isn't completely useless as it'll bleed off static buildup. But for lightning protection? We're talking over 100,000,000 volts here! In the event of a strike that voltage is going wherever it feels like.

A 17ga wire is going to protect the system from a lightning strike? I don't think so.

Such a ground isn't completely useless as it'll bleed off static buildup. But for lightning protection? We're talking over 100,000,000 volts here! In the event of a strike that voltage is going wherever it feels like.

It doesn't matter if it'll protect it or not :D

Both Dish and the NEC require it. Far be it for a person to place any logical thinking into the "hows" or "whys".

nope i did it and id do it again in a heartbeat and will advocate all that got install w/o ground to call up and bitch and have dish send out a tech to finish job properly on their dime of course

the only absolute Bullsh!t is dishnetwork!

I don't like dish network anymore than you do. People like you are the reason I won't bend the rules for ANYBODY. Everytime I do somebody a favor, it bites me in the ass. :D

Get your own honking house, and then you can ground to whatever you want. Renters come up with some real BS................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)