Installer refused to remove his dirty boots

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I believe it's against OSHA but who cares? What's he gonna do, stub a toe at the most!? I keep about 50 pair of shoe coverings in my truck for me and if the customer wants to walk around and not take his shoes off I give him a pair too. Installer was being as ass it sounds like

Did anyone ever think that the floors in this particular customer's home might have been dirtier than the installer's shoes? I've had my share of customers who asked me to take of my shoes, when you can clearly see stains, pet hair, and who knows what all over the place.

I had Directv (contractor) instal a new system yesterday. I asked him to remove his dirty boots before entering inside the house. He refused saying its against OSHA regulation, is it true? He didn't have to run any cables or clime anywhere, just setup the receivers.

Yes and no. It IS against OSHA regs to remove your boots, however you are supposed to wear boot covers while in the customer's home.

Did anyone ever think that the floors in this particular customer's home might have been dirtier than the installer's shoes? I've had my share of customers who asked me to take of my shoes, when you can clearly see stains, pet hair, and who knows what all over the place.

My house is spotless, with brand new carpet and he did NOT have boot covers either! If not for the fact that they canceled the original install because he did NOT know I requested the 5 sat LNB (ordered it 4 weeks in advance) and the second time the guy arrived @ 5pm when he was supposed to be between 8-12, I would have never let him in.

Heck those are just a couple of the ones in the last month or so that I could get pictures of. I'm in houses like this on a weekly basis.

Where do you work? In the ghetto? Look up zip code 78258 on Zillow, that's where I would want to work, and plan to live after college (pending finding a decent job).

Heck those are just a couple of the ones in the last month or so that I could get pictures of. I'm in houses like this on a weekly basis.

I'm going to agree. I've seen million dollar homes where people just don't care. Went to a gated community (house value prolly around 1-3 mil) and they 18 pugs in the house. Piss and dog crap everywhere. I bent down to unhook a receiver and had pee puddle up around my shoe. Ghetto or not, a lot of people live like this these days. More than I would've ever thought. The cleanest and most decorated neighborhoods to the ghettos. They're everywhere

I'm going to agree. I've seen million dollar homes where people just don't care. Went to a gated community (house value prolly around 1-3 mil) and they 18 pugs in the house. Piss and dog crap everywhere. I bent down to unhook a receiver and had pee puddle up around my shoe. Ghetto or not, a lot of people live like this these days. More than I would've ever thought. The cleanest and most decorated neighborhoods to the ghettos. They're everywhere

You would think the rich ones would be able to afford maids.

If you get into the business, you'll find out 1st hand. There is nowhere immune from this.

Doubt I'll ever get in the satellite installation business with the current way that it's being ran at least. Maybe cable, and maybe telephone/fiber.

But I want my career job to be something like working in a data center with no people to deal with.

Probably one of the nastiest houses I was ever in, from the outside looked like a milion dollor home. I will admit it is far less likey to be a nasty house in a nice area. But those people can the worst to work for. Thats for another thread.

if its my house, I get to pick the dirt/debris on the floor.. not the installer :)

if its my house, I get to pick the dirt/debris on the floor.. not the installer :)
Sort of correct,

However, your home becomes a workplace covered by OSHA regulations. The employer is compelled to provide a safe workplace. Your homeowner's insurance protects you from suits that arise from injury to visitors in your home. So if you have a dangerous situation you can expect installers to leave. This could include sneezy sick infectious family members, agressive pets, clutter that blocks access to the work. They will not do your installation and the installation company will not send another tech until things are safe.

All this is really rare..........most techs will go with the flow and most homes are just fine. We are looking at extreme situations here.

Joe

Doubt I'll ever get in the satellite installation business with the current way that it's being ran at least. Maybe cable, and maybe telephone/fiber.

But I want my career job to be something like working in a data center with no people to deal with.

Correct move,
Technically proficient people do not last in installation work. You must have people skills. I think the hardest thing is suspending that habit of connecting an experience, good or bad, at one location with any future experience. Every installation situation has different, unrelated people. You have to be able to start over with new people with every job. If you can't do this the load of crap will drag you down.

Joe

People like you make me physically ill. You broke several violations and then went on to sue somebody, I don't care if they are a jerk or not, you still broke rules. You are a sick person.

Little heavy on the bull sh** there, vin12,
The lawsuits are to be made whole after a loss. Consider an identical story with the only difference being........ a toddler little kid released the family pit bull. The animal never hurt family members but ripped the installer's arm and leg open. He needed to be bandaged by EMTs and hauled out in an ambulance. He had huge emergency room bills and couldn't work....at anything... for a year. The installation company said he should have avoided the dangerous dog.

So, yes, the lawyer sued the homeowner and their insurance company for the injured tech. Installers will do a lot to git 'er done. When they decide to follow the regulations they are maligned by customers and maybe even pressured by installation companies.

Get over your sickness,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)