Installer refused to remove his dirty boots

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
I had Directv (contractor) instal a new system yesterday. I asked him to remove his dirty boots before entering inside the house. He refused saying its against OSHA regulation, is it true? He didn't have to run any cables or clime anywhere, just setup the receivers.

At the very least all installers should have shoe covers. It's common courtesy & the right thing to do. It's a shame some give the rest of us a bad image.

I always remove my shoes if needed
That installer was being rude imo
Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As stardust3 mentioned, he should have at the very least had covers for his shoes. Did he in fact track dirt in your house? If so, a call to Directv about it may earn you some credits.

He is (however rude) correct. It is against OSHA regs to remove your shoes. He should have a second set of inside shoes or maybe disposable covers.

I believe it's against OSHA but who cares? What's he gonna do, stub a toe at the most!? I keep about 50 pair of shoe coverings in my truck for me and if the customer wants to walk around and not take his shoes off I give him a pair too. Installer was being as ass it sounds like

It may be an osha rule, but I call BS on the installer.

Anyone installing for any length of time knows there are places where you don't take off your shoes & some use it as a blanket rule regardless. Again BS...

Osha rule or not I would love to see some real documentation where an installer was fined or got in trouble for taking off his shoes in an otherwise clean place.

Never did I have a Dish or AT&T installer put on shoe covers,I was very surprised when we got Charter installed,everyone of them,upon each entry into the house pulled on the shoe covers.On one of the calls the weather was picture perfect,dry as a bone,I told the charter guy don't worry about the shoe covers,he said he could get in big trouble if he didn't.

Never did I have a Dish or AT&T installer put on shoe covers,I was very surprised when we got Charter installed,everyone of them,upon each entry into the house pulled on the shoe covers.On one of the calls the weather was picture perfect,dry as a bone,I told the charter guy don't worry about the shoe covers,he said he could get in big trouble if he didn't.

This happened because the company was pushing this at the time.

IF my boots are dirty, I'll offer to take them off, usually the sub says, don't worry about it.

MY BOSS however insists we put them on EVERY job.

As I said before, if I feel they are needed, I'll but booties on, got tons in the truck, like I said, usually the sub says don't bother.

This happened because the company was pushing this at the time.

IF my boots are dirty, I'll offer to take them off, usually the sub says, don't worry about it.

MY BOSS however insists we put them on EVERY job.

As I said before, if I feel they are needed, I'll but booties on, got tons in the truck, like I said, usually the sub says don't bother.

I agree. If its sunny and dry and my boots are clean ill ask but if its winter/rainy or my boots are muddy ill put them on without even asking. I look at it as more common sense and being polite than anything

True dat on the OSHA thing & true dat on everyone who said he should have done booties or removed the shoes anyhow.........But there are also the hoarder trailers where the pet droppings will get into your truck...........and the one time cat that got into the truck, peed on the seat and was getting into my lunch. Cat in the booties anyone?

Next tech will be better,

Joe

I had a guy track mud across the carpet during the install.. he shrugged and said his boss was too cheap to stock the shoe covers as if that was my fault. It gave me a wonderful 1st impression of DTV.

If the guy had told me he couldn't remove his boots then I would have told him to remove himself from my house. They can at least put on shoe covers. He was just being a butt for no reason.

Its rules not to take off your boots. I'm inhouse for dish and we have boot covers and if I still get asked to take off my boots then the jobs not getting done. I don't know what kinda junk you customers have laying around and i'm not risking stepping on something.

Its rules not to take off your boots. I'm inhouse for dish and we have boot covers and if I still get asked to take off my boots then the jobs not getting done. I don't know what kinda junk you customers have laying around and i'm not risking stepping on something.

Ya gotta watch that "you customers" stuff............... customers do not interrupt our work...they are the reason for it and the source of its value......etc."But if you said,"You junkie customers with the dog sh*t in the halls..." IF you spear yourself on a used needle from the right person you could die. Boots could save you. The turds are self explanatory..........both are rare.

Joe

At the very least all installers should have shoe covers. It's common courtesy & the right thing to do. It's a shame some give the rest of us a bad image.

this is what i was going to say. our installers here always have shoe covers/booties just in case.

not taking up for the installer, but yes it is true that it is against osha regulation, and company policy. (example he has his shoes off drops receiver on his foot, breaks his foot, his company can refuse to pay him/dr ect and also fire him for not following safety regulation, being in proper uniform ect ect, you know how big companies can be) but he should have at the very very minimum had shoe covers to put over his shoes. Alot of installers have a extra pair to wear inside on muddy days. Myself i wear the shoes covers at every job i do, whether it is a multi-million dollar house or a house that already has more dirt on the floor inside than they do outside in the yard, and whether it is desert dry outside or snowing, raining.

not taking up for the installer, but yes it is true that it is against osha regulation, and company policy. (example he has his shoes off drops receiver on his foot, breaks his foot, his company can refuse to pay him/dr ect and also fire him for not following safety regulation, being in proper uniform ect ect, you know how big companies can be) but he should have at the very very minimum had shoe covers to put over his shoes. Alot of installers have a extra pair to wear inside on muddy days. Myself i wear the shoes covers at every job i do, whether it is a multi-million dollar house or a house that already has more dirt on the floor inside than they do outside in the yard, and whether it is desert dry outside or snowing, raining.

Or he can go to the doctor and see if it's really broke .... Company covers any medical anyways.

Fwiw, If he drops a recvr on his foot, work boots on or off could very well result in the same broke foot.

I also don't know that there is ANY rule that says you cannot take boots off or that you should. OSHA or other wise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.