Installer refused to remove his dirty boots

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sort of correct,

However, your home becomes a workplace covered by OSHA regulations. The employer is compelled to provide a safe workplace. Your homeowner's insurance protects you from suits that arise from injury to visitors in your home. So if you have a dangerous situation you can expect installers to leave. This could include sneezy sick infectious family members, agressive pets, clutter that blocks access to the work. They will not do your installation and the installation company will not send another tech until things are safe.

All this is really rare..........most techs will go with the flow and most homes are just fine. We are looking at extreme situations here.

Joe

No argument from me... I fully respect the rights of an installer to refuse to do the work b/c their safety would be at issue.

EDIT: and for the purpose of the thread, I think the mainstream discussion is about a residence which is NOT a safety hazard, and whether an installer should remove boots, or wear shoes covers, and/or how to mitigate adding to the (hopefully) minimal mess at a residence. I would hold my house out as mostly clean (as clean as one can keep it with a toddler), but was on the receiving end of an installer who tracked rather full boot-prints of mud across 40' of carpet... and truly shrugged, blamed it on his boss for not stocking slip clovers, and made zero offer to help clean up. It was nothing but a poor attitude.. and to top of it.. he did a poor install too. I had to have someone back out a few weeks later. He did have slip covers, did clean up the bad connections, and also did get the tip that the 1st guy never got.

No argument from me... I fully respect the rights of an installer to refuse to do the work b/c their safety would be at issue.

EDIT: and for the purpose of the thread, I think the mainstream discussion is about a residence which is NOT a safety hazard, and whether an installer should remove boots, or wear shoes covers, and/or how to mitigate adding to the (hopefully) minimal mess at a residence. I would hold my house out as mostly clean (as clean as one can keep it with a toddler), but was on the receiving end of an installer who tracked rather full boot-prints of mud across 40' of carpet... and truly shrugged, blamed it on his boss for not stocking slip clovers, and made zero offer to help clean up. It was nothing but a poor attitude.. and to top of it.. he did a poor install too. I had to have someone back out a few weeks later. He did have slip covers, did clean up the bad connections, and also did get the tip that the 1st guy never got.

True,
I know the type. One backed over a customer puppy......"cx shoulda called it". Time to ring the bell that says customers don't interrupt our work, they are the reason for it!............except the mean drunks

Joe

I had a customer once who wanted me to remove my boots while I was working on his roof. In the middle of summer, no less. When I told him it was not only against the rules but dangerous, he threw a hissy fit, threatened to sue us and ran me off the property.

I would wear this on the job whether the company or customers like it or not.

http://www.centralpolice.com/Mini-Digital-Clip-on-Video-Recorder-p/ep-b-camera.htm

I think I'll stick to applying to work for telco companies, unlike cable and satellite, most of the time telco's only deal with up to the DEMARC that is outside.

Landline customers are going away. I think the telcos are going beyond the NID and doing dial tone work inside the structure. VZ seems to be shrinking....some areas have long waits for POTS work in hopes folks will sign up for cell & or fiber services. Red to red & green to green ain't gonna be around too much longer I think.

Joe

Landline customers are going away. I think the telcos are going beyond the NID and doing dial tone work inside the structure. VZ seems to be shrinking....some areas have long waits for POTS work in hopes folks will sign up for cell & or fiber services. Red to red & green to green ain't gonna be around too much longer I think.

Joe

It's never been red/green before the NID, that's old home wiring colors. Before the NID it's been blue pair line 1 and orange pair line 2...

Example of a 25 pair cable:

220px-25_pair_color_code_chart.svg.png

It's never been red/green before the NID, that's old home wiring colors. Before the NID it's been blue pair line 1 and orange pair line 2...

Example of a 25 pair cable:

220px-25_pair_color_code_chart.svg.png

Pretty cool chart.....gona try and copy it.................Around here the telcos run UG cat 5 to the NID and every one else uses whatever they can find into the premisis. Ran into a DT problem where the whole house was wired with strand speaker wire....had to tone every line before charging to pull correct cable. Cell phones are on the horizon.

Joe

Wow, I will have to make sure both rooms and the den are clean when the installer comes next thurs so my lack of cleanliness doesn't end up on the SatGuys forum. ;)
No special trouble required,
IF you can open the doors to both rooms and see the base boards most of the way around yer good. In the den if your entertainment center is already on a forklift, yer good. Outside near the electric meter...don't shoot the pit bull yet but do find the key to the kennel. If the meter reader has been ok there, yer good. Go to the side of your house that faces the Gulf of Mexico and check fer trees and 'gaters.

Report how the installation goes,

Joe

Meter reader? What are those? We have SmartMeters, lol.
I didn't want to scare the boy by telling him he has to put wheels on the dead Pinto out back and move it so the installer can mount the dish and ground the system. If the gang banger that usually steals your stuff can climbs in your back windows you are good to go.

Stuff like that,

Joe

In the den if your entertainment center is already on a forklift.
I can't fit a forklift in my house but I have a pallet jack I stole from work, will that work?

don't shoot the pit bull yet but do find the key to the kennel.
Don't worry I'll throw her in the Lake and have her swim around while the installer is there.

Last edited:
I can't fit a forklift in my house but I have a pallet jack I stole from work, will that work?

Don't worry I'll throw her in the Lake and have her swim around while the installer is there.

Looks like you are ready.........some places don't allow using live dogs as bait. Check local regulations. Report how the install goes.

Joe

I once was working in, I think, a Hindi Temple (actually, I don't know for sure what it was because all the signs were written in their alphabet) where everyone is required, by the religious practices, to take his shoes off, and I had to work on an indoor rung ladder, but my feet simply could not endure the pressure that the narrow ladder rungs exerted on my soles when they were supporting my then 240 pound body. I told the priest/monk/whatever that I was going to have to pass on that part of the installation and leave it up to the company that had sent me to make other arrangements, so he kind of compromised and had me do that work during a brief interval when he and I were going to be the only people in the building, but I was to carry my shoes to the ladder, put them on just for the climbs, and take them off immediately thereafter.

Last edited:
I had a similiar experience, and hate working in religious buildings for this reason, the living quarters were kinda attached to the "services" area of whatever religions place of worship this was. The "leader of cerimonies" refused to let me cross the "alter type area" at all when i explained the need to run a line from one area of the building to the other and wouldnt allow drilling into the basement (drop ceiling, but kind of a banquet type area). He ended up not getting tv in the two back rooms because of the basement thing after he realized the building would be wrapped all different ways with cable in order to accomidate his requests. ..shrugs.. i was respectful and tried to give him all his options.

Used "quoted terms" out of respect and not knowing the proper terminology as well.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I had a similiar experience, and hate working in religious buildings for this reason, the living quarters were kinda attached to the "services" area of whatever religions place of worship this was. The "leader of cerimonies" refused to let me cross the "alter type area" at all when i explained the need to run a line from one area of the building to the other and wouldnt allow drilling into the basement (drop ceiling, but kind of a banquet type area). He ended up not getting tv in the two back rooms because of the basement thing after he realized the building would be wrapped all different ways with cable in order to accomidate his requests. ..shrugs.. i was respectful and tried to give him all his options.

Used "quoted terms" out of respect and not knowing the proper terminology as well.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Most of those types of places I've seen have FTA Ku dishes aimed at Galaxy 19

People like you make me physically ill. You broke several violations and then went on to sue somebody, I don't care if they are a jerk or not, you still broke rules. You are a sick person.

Actually Jerk.. this was not the same person and I broke no rules at this guys house!!!!!! I learned from my 1st mistake and kept my feet covered. This was a customer home that was much later in my time (years!!!) now I broke no rules and I if didn't tear my MCL and ACL just simply walking through someones house because he felt it was unimportant to clear a damn path perhaps the judge wouldn't have agreed with me.. plus his own lawyer told him it was his fault, but I guess your like that person.

So the customer that asked you to remove your shoes isn't the same one you sued? Why did you post about it as if you did?

not the same house... Technically you can it varies from state to state. Pretty much if you tell someone to remove a safety device you just inherited the responsibility of insuring nothing happens to them.
"Pretty much your saying take your shoes off because my floors are in good shape and nothing will happen to them"
It's in the same line of directing a car through traffic. If you wave someone through an intersection and cause a accident you are liable as well.

Last edited:
It is again OSHA regulations remove your boots when you are at "WORK SITE" meaning on the ladder, roof top, attic etc , not inside the house , you as an Installer must have a booties for place over the boots in case you have to walk over carpet or wood floor , many customer don't care but many yes and you work is fulfill customer expectations at all levels , this is part of our customer service !!! thumbs down for the Installer who refuse to remove the dirty boots

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)