Installer says 61.5 being emptied

Well, here's the latest. Called Dish back today since I didn't hear anything from the installer. (Didn't really expect to.) After jumping through all the hoops, I was forwarded to a customer rep. that was almost too delightful to deal with. Had to re-explain the situation to her and told her what the installer had told me about the 61.5 being stripped of its programming. She got quite a laugh out of that and promised me that wasn't even close to being true. Anyway, she set up a new appointment to have my existing dish moved and probably a wing dish to the 61.5 bird, waived the fees and took care of the problem in a very professional and understanding manner. I just hope the contractor does his job as well. To top off the whole thing, she was AMERICAN and spoke perfect ENGLISH. :eek::)

My brother's girlfriend's cousin's installer said they were moving all the HD channels to C Band and they will start installing 6 footers at everyone's house. They even designed a mount that will just bolt right up to the eave of your house.

;) ;) ;)

I find it so amusing on how little most of the D* and E* techs know about the company they work for. I've heard some crazy stuff as well . 1 of my E* techs while he was installing my system, told me D* and E* are the same company. That was funny! They need to start coming to Satellite guys.

FWIW, my local dealer told me the same story last Friday. That 61.5 is 'old' and being 'phased out' as he put and and that everything is going to 129. :confused:

FWIW, my local dealer told me the same story last Friday. That 61.5 is 'old' and being 'phased out' as he put and and that everything is going to 129. :confused:

Actually I have the opposite of the problem, I am losing signals from 61.5 and I have moved to HD only package. My second dish is pointing to 110, so I keep asking whether the 110 dish can be repointed to 129.

I was told that 129 is weaker than 61.5 because its direction is very low.

don't think so he is right as soon as the new echo 11 is set on 110 they will be switching HD channnels to this bird.
More misinformation. E11 is replacing E8 at 110. E* will be switching ALL the CURRENT programming on E8 to E11. 61.5 and 129 are here to stay for quite a while.

I can comfirm that was the info being given to techs. It has only been recently that we were told that could use the 61.5 as an alternate to the 129.

See, I knew this wasn't true, but there were still several jobs I cancelled due to no line of sight to the 129 sat that did have LOS to the 61.5 sat. BECAUSE I had to perform my job according to this assumed truth.

And I will tell you this. I heard a person in our mgmt. say what a freaking joke it is that you have to go to a web-site (SG.us) that isn't even company owned or sponsored to find out what the hell is really going-on and what new technology is coming down the pike.

I had the same thing from an installer. They were there to repoint my dish because I had lost signal from 129. He took down my VHF antenna, saying that in February it wouldn't work anyway. I asked him how I was supposed to receive my 56 local digital stations. He said that they were analog. BS, they are digital, and I have been receiving them since 2003.

He left before the guide data downloaded to the box, and wouldn't wait for me to show him that he just disabled all of my local channels. He said that I was getting my locals from Dish. Dish only provides a small subset of the available local digital channels in the Los Angeles area.

I called and complained to his supervisor, but I ended up climbing back on roof and re-installing my OTA antenna myself. I have the channels back, but why would the local Dish installer feel the need to remove my own equipment from my house? That antenna has its own cable that feeds the house, it doesn't affect the Dish signals at all.

I've got say that guy would have been reinstalling my antenna free of charge... and I better be getting all the channels that I got before to the same degree of reception!

The tech that came out to install my 622 when I upgraded to HD told me there was no HD in my town (Abilene, TX)... "Everyone thinks they're getting HD but no channel is really doing HD here, it's all digital SD"... or something like that. I told him that we had ABC in HD for over a year and half (at that time) and NBC and CBS started doing HD earlier that same year, all over the air... cable didn't carry the ABC HD affiliate. He thought I was full of s**t. I turned on my TV which I already had hooked up to the antenna and showed him NBC's 'Today' broadcast and that my TV recognized it as 1080i. He stood staring at it for a few moments and said, "man, that's a good picture!". He didn't say much for the rest of the install.

It amazes me how little these guys know about their jobs. If I were selling and installing satellite equipment, I'd consider it important that all my employees understood all the advantages of the satellite service versus cable... like integrating all local HD chanels into a DVR, something the local cable provider can't do. This guy didn't even think there was local HD!

Last edited:
And I will tell you this. I heard a person in our mgmt. say what a freaking joke it is that you have to go to a web-site (SG.us) that isn't even company owned or sponsored to find out what the hell is really going-on and what new technology is coming down the pike.[/QUOTE]
Thats why I became a better installer when I worked for dish, I got the right information from here instead of the misinformation from my office. About %60 of what comes to the installer at the wednesday meetings is misinformation and rumour generated within the company.

Yes, you are! The installers will be going around and cutting the coax.

More truth to this then you think. Not long ago I had a 61.5 wing installed for my HD locals. The installer cut the line coming from my external UHF antenna. This would not be an issue but I can pick up 2 other DMA's with that antenna. When I called they said antennas won't work if you have a wing dish???

I guess the wing dish must work in the same UHF range as the off air stuff or something. Or at least that was the logic lol

More truth to this then you think. Not long ago I had a 61.5 wing installed for my HD locals. The installer cut the line coming from my external UHF antenna. This would not be an issue but I can pick up 2 other DMA's with that antenna. When I called they said antennas won't work if you have a wing dish???

I guess the wing dish must work in the same UHF range as the off air stuff or something. Or at least that was the logic lol

LOL... lazy tech syndrome. ;)

I had the same thing from an installer. They were there to repoint my dish because I had lost signal from 129. He took down my VHF antenna, saying that in February it wouldn't work anyway. I asked him how I was supposed to receive my 56 local digital stations. He said that they were analog. BS, they are digital, and I have been receiving them since 2003.

He left before the guide data downloaded to the box, and wouldn't wait for me to show him that he just disabled all of my local channels. He said that I was getting my locals from Dish. Dish only provides a small subset of the available local digital channels in the Los Angeles area.

I called and complained to his supervisor, but I ended up climbing back on roof and re-installing my OTA antenna myself. I have the channels back, but why would the local Dish installer feel the need to remove my own equipment from my house? That antenna has its own cable that feeds the house, it doesn't affect the Dish signals at all.

I think his butt would've been up there putting it back before I'd let him get back in the truck!

I just had a wing dish installed to get 61.5 for the Lansing, MI HD locals. My wife was home and said the installer was the most rude person she had ever met to provide us service. The first guy came out and said that they couldn't attach a second dish to my pole so they would need to put in another pole requiring Miss Dig. The second installer comes and wonders why we had Miss Dig. He said he was just going to drive the pole in and if something gets hit, too bad. He then goes this is sure a lot of work for just two HD channels. He couldn't believe that I wanted a dish to be able to get locals in HD.

Chris

I just had a wing dish installed to get 61.5 for the Lansing, MI HD locals. My wife was home and said the installer was the most rude person she had ever met to provide us service. The first guy came out and said that they couldn't attach a second dish to my pole so they would need to put in another pole requiring Miss Dig. The second installer comes and wonders why we had Miss Dig. He said he was just going to drive the pole in and if something gets hit, too bad. He then goes this is sure a lot of work for just two HD channels. He couldn't believe that I wanted a dish to be able to get locals in HD.

Chris

That's when you tell him no, it's to get rid of 129's signal strength too. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)