Installer's Grief

DieHard

Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
I have been perusing these forums for weeks without actually registering.... and then I saw a thread that I absolutely HAD to respond to (now that I'm registered, I cannot find the thread :confused: )

In any event, there was quite a bit of ranting and insulting directed at an installer who admitted to using the NLOS excuse for avoiding a difficult install.

I REALLY wanted to add to the thread by defending this installer's actions.

(Before I do, please allow me to preface my comments with the assertion that I have a strong work ethic, I am not lazy, nor do I advocate poor workmanship). But truth be told, I use the NLOS excuse more than I wish.

It's not laziness, it's the reality of feeding my family. The HSP I work under will not allow us to charge for custom work, additional services, or work "outside the scope of standard DNSC installation." Read: free pole mount; up to 50 feet of trenching; 200 feet of cable; free non-penetrating mount for apartments.... (just to name a few sh!tty stipulations).

The truth is, in this industry, there is NOT a premium placed on high quality workmanship. HSP's and retailers are leaning on completion rate %'s and "getting the job in" over customer service and "doing the job right." That is fact.

When the mover's and shakers decide allow a little regulation and enforce some standards in this industry, then those of us who really want to do a good job will be able to and still make a living.

Until then, there will simply be some jobs that are too much trouble to bother with.

First off, welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

The non-penetrating mounts for apartments you speak of, are you talking about the flat coax pieces? If so those are not that expensive (my guess would be $1.50-2 a piece). That shouldn't stop you from doing an install.

No... Flat cable is flat cable...

Non-pen mounts are metal frames used to support dishes on flat roofs (often building owners/managers will only allow a dish if there is no penetraion to the building). These frames are weighted with cinderblocks--although often installers will simply tapcon a mast into cinder-blocks (not reliable in high winds)--and they usually cost $25-$40. Tripods are the other option, again, they cost.

Ahh, gotcha now. :)

I lucked out with our apartment. We have a small fenced in patio and all I had to do was get a 4X4 and place it in the ground. My D* system has worked well with it.

Diehard, I'm with you. I aggree when it comes to the HSP's and RSP's "just get the job done no matter what it takes" No extra's for wallfish, pole mount, trenching, or any other "custom" work. Drives all the good techs out of the industry. But heck, they just put an ad in the newspaper-Help Wanted - Satellite Installer-Must have truck and ladder - No experience necessary-Hiring NOW

wobbie said:
Diehard, I'm with you. I aggree when it comes to the HSP's and RSP's "just get the job done no matter what it takes" No extra's for wallfish, pole mount, trenching, or any other "custom" work. Drives all the good techs out of the industry. But heck, they just put an ad in the newspaper-Help Wanted - Satellite Installer-Must have truck and ladder - No experience necessary-Hiring NOW
Oh yes, no experience, fine, they pay $30 per installation, about three weeks, then maybe $40 per install, no insurance, no problem, taking 5% out of your installation, hmmm yes, you supply materials, and truck, as well as gas, health insurance, income tax, after per in stallation, your profit $5.00. well not too bad, although the pay is worst then work at McDonald.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts