Installers Pls Speak Up!

blkhawk666

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Knowing that a few installers lurk about, I was wondering a few things.
1) We have heard horror stories from the customer but I am sure that there are a few from the installer. Myself, working in the service industry, I know that the customer can make ones life a living hell just because of the bad day they have had at the office, regardless of the great service they get!
2) Is there anything we, as a customer can do to make your work easier?

blkhawk666 said:
Knowing that a few installers lurk about, I was wondering a few things.
1) We have heard horror stories from the customer but I am sure that there are a few from the installer. Myself, working in the service industry, I know that the customer can make ones life a living hell just because of the bad day they have had at the office, regardless of the great service they get!
2) Is there anything we, as a customer can do to make your work easier?

Not an installer, but I think it would be the obvious. Be nice, and offer help if needed.. Or just stay out of there way and don't say a word!

Besides that, its their job.. Bad people/good people Its part of life..

I actually don't mind when a customer watches my moves as long as they don't get in the way. That way, the customer sees everything I am doing and can have something done differently if they see fit, which makes it easier for me cause I don't have to change it after being done, and the customer has it done his/her way. Plus, it gives us someone to talk to, gets kind of lonely up on the roof :) Obdviously, having wires run already is AWSOME, but staying out of the way is probably the one thing that makes the job easier. Maybe some water once in a while too... :)

poopsie said:
I actually don't mind when a customer watches my moves as long as they don't get in the way. That way, the customer sees everything I am doing and can have something done differently if they see fit, which makes it easier for me cause I don't have to change it after being done, and the customer has it done his/her way. Plus, it gives us someone to talk to, gets kind of lonely up on the roof :) Obdviously, having wires run already is AWSOME, but staying out of the way is probably the one thing that makes the job easier. Maybe some water once in a while too... :)
also be flexible...remember every install(and installer) is different...dont look over at your neighbors dishnet or directv and think your install is going to look exactly the same

We own an installation company and install Voom. We have our own horror stories as well. Voom promises perfection, customers expect perfection but given what we have to work with, we can't deliver it. OTA has been a nightmare and the pay is low.

We received yet another service call on one of our customers the other day. When I contacted them they told me that ESPN picture quality was poor one night. They called Voom and Voom told them they had a brand new receiver that they would ship to us that would fix all their picture quality problems. This will be the 7th receiver for this customer. As a business we actually loose money on follow up service calls. Voom refused to ship directly to customers. They ship everything to our central location and we have to somehow get it to our techs.

also would voom please,please,please make sure that the customers know what they are purchasing and what the true pricing is...i had a customer yesterday who had NO idea what she was buying...she wanted to know how many hours it would record...and then i went inside and hooked it up too her 13 in and 19 inch tvs...customers who havent even heard of HDTV are getting voom cause all they hear are $0 upfront and $39.99 a month ...they have no idea they are paying a leasing fee or a mirroring fee...and we are supposed to install it and say nothing and then go back in a month after they get heir first bill and take it out...

fastfed said:
Not an installer, but I think it would be the obvious. Be nice, and offer help if needed.. Or just stay out of there way and don't say a word!

Besides that, its their job.. Bad people/good people Its part of life..
no it is not their job to put up with crap just because a customer has a bad day....believe me if you come to the door with an atitude you are probably gonna get one back...and most installers reserve the right to refuse to do an install... so being pissed off may just mean its gonna take that much longer to get your system installed if installer has enough crap and decides to leave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts