Installers took old LNB

jwfgeol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
It's been a couple of months since my install, but I started thinking about this when someone mentioned taking another satellite to a tailgate. When I moved into my house (been a couple of years) the old owners left a Dish 500 on the roof and an old receiver that they didn't want (I'm supposing they owned both). I had cable through work, but back in the summer I decided to go with E*. The installers came and said they could take the old dish off the roof but would have to leave the poll that was mounted (no biggie). They left the old dish in the garage and I noticed later on that they took the LNB. It didn't really bother me at the time, but I just started thinking about if I ever do decided to use it at a tailgate or something like that and add the receiver that the old owner's left to my account (have one 622 now). Did the installers take something they shouldn't have?

No. They didn't do anything wrong. It's most likely leased equipment to begin with. And while I doubt they actually R/A the old piece of crap, they definitely didn't steal anything from you. If you want to tailgate you'll have to buy the equipment.

No. They didn't do anything wrong. It's most likely leased equipment to begin with. And while I doubt they actually R/A the old piece of crap, they definitely didn't steal anything from you. If you want to tailgate you'll have to buy the equipment.
It's really not that big of a deal, but it if was leased equipment, why was it on the side of my house for two years not being used. If I would have taken it down myself (which I'm glad they did because it's a two story house) they would have never known there was a dish there in the first place. Plus, why would they just take the LNB and not the dish or receiver?

Yes, IMO they took something they should not have taken. The LNB does not belong to them. If it was a leased item then they should have explained this before removing ANYTHING.

Yes, IMO they took something they should not have taken. The LNB does not belong to them. If it was a leased item then they should have explained this before removing ANYTHING.

It's common practice to remove the old LNBs.

How are they going to know of the LNB was leased or not? They wouldn't, but as said it's practice to return the old parts, switches, LNB, etc.

Most of the time I tossed the stuff in the customers garbage can, one less thing I'd have to throw away at the end of the day. Especially anything to do with Superdish.

As a technician we are required to return ANY parts we find at the customer's home that are not being used for the current customer's system. If we get there for an installation and there is a dish already there, we have to put up new parts and return the old ones to the office for return and recycling by DISH. Regardless of age or condition. The only exception is if the customer says that he purchased the equipment and that he is the rightful owner and will not allow me to take it, in which case I have to notate his account as such when I close out the work order. If it were leased equpment by the previous owner, then it was THAT persons responsibility to make sure that those parts were returned to DISH after they disconnected. If they moved, then they could leave the parts behind and DISH would not charge them. But if they disconnected and didn't return the parts, then the customer would be charged. If they OWNED the parts, then they could do with them as they wished, sell them, take them, use them as skeet targets...whatever. Did your tech return the LNB to the office? I doubt it, since he left the receiver. It probably went into his personal stash for when his inventory comes up a part short, or he needs one for a return that he lost. Regardless, it's nothing to concern yourself over. If the person that left those parts at your house a couple years ago hasn't come back to get them by now, then they never will.

It's not required as per policy. However, it is a good cover your own ass policy to make sure that it does not "belong" to the customer before you take it with you. Now as a DISH tech, if we see a DirecTV dish/switch, we're not even allowed to TOUCH it, let alone take it off it's mount or take it with us.

You have to ask the customer though, right?

I don't think that's in the 'rule book'. Why would it be? If the customer doesn't mention it at the time, then the installer has no reason to assume they would need it. It's a very uncommon request. I'm sorry but this is stupid. I know it was just an innocent question by the OP, but anyone who would actually make a big deal out of this is just trying to get something for nothing. It's a damned old LNB that probably didn't work anyway. I throw away several on a weekly basis. I've never had a single customer that wanted anything to do with any old dish, lnb or reciever left at a house they just moved into. They usually try to unload them on me, even Direct TV eq they expect me to get rid of for them. This is not something that is first and foremost on our minds since the majority lease the equipment.

I'm sorry but this is stupid. I know it was just an innocent question by the OP, but anyone who would actually make a big deal out of this is just trying to get something for nothing.
What the hell? Yes, it was just an innocent question, but now you are accusing me of trying to get something for nothing??? The previous owners gave me the dish, so I do OWN it. It was just a simple question as I can buy another LNB for next to nothing. I just wanted to know why they would do this. Sorry I put down your installer brotherhood.

Most people just leave the LNBs up because it's too much trouble to get to them when they cancel, and dish doesn't want to deal with the possible headaches that may ensue forcing their customers to go and take the LNBs/switches down from high places, lol.

Those things do cost a bit, but they're not exactly expensive either, for a mid-level or upper-level account they probably break even/start making money after a month or three, eh?

I don't see the big deal, lol. It's kinda ghetto though that he'd leave you the dishes and take the LNBs, if you're gonna take the LNBs take the @*#% dishes too.

What the hell? Yes, it was just an innocent question, but now you are accusing me of trying to get something for nothing??? The previous owners gave me the dish, so I do OWN it. It was just a simple question as I can buy another LNB for next to nothing. I just wanted to know why they would do this. Sorry I put down your installer brotherhood.

It was a poorly worded response. Apologies. My statement was generally directed at anybody who thinks this is some sort of travesty or another scumbag installer nightmare. I know you just wanted to be informed, that's what this place is for.
So now you know.

It was a poorly worded response. Apologies. My statement was generally directed at anybody who thinks this is some sort of travesty or another scumbag installer nightmare. I know you just wanted to be informed, that's what this place is for.
So now you know.
Thanks Roadwarrior :)
I do appreciate your response. Now I will end this useless thread..haha.

If you don't have to ask, and you take a customer owned one, it's theft.

We own some equipment (LNB/Dish included), and you'd better believe I'd be ticked if they took the LNB I owned without asking.

Sure, it may cost me a total of $40 for a replacement, but that's $40 I don't have to pay.

Either way, they'd be giving me one back when I called or they would never hear the end of me. Especially if I show them receipts.

When I take down a dish I always set the Dish on the ground by the customers door. I then tell the customer where his old dish is, and ask him if he wants to keep it or if he wants me to haul it off. I will never just take it with out asking.. I don't really need the old junk in most cases, but I do have a market for used equipment every now and then. But if it's on the customers house when I arrive, I consider it belongs to the customer, and I am not taking it without being told too..

many of us early customers did buy our own equipment.(and paid a higher price then) sure most newer customers are leased. It is isn't the best policy to assume the customer doesn't own it.

If you don't have to ask, and you take a customer owned one, it's theft.

We own some equipment (LNB/Dish included), and you'd better believe I'd be ticked if they took the LNB I owned without asking.

Sure, it may cost me a total of $40 for a replacement, but that's $40 I don't have to pay.

Either way, they'd be giving me one back when I called or they would never hear the end of me. Especially if I show them receipts.

We are scum. Every last one of us.(except skyviewmark, bozo button for you). If it's so important, get the damned lnb down before the guy gets there, because you know we're all just a bunch of friggin clepto's, and not nearly of the same quality as 'decent' folk. How can any of you rest at night knowing that we are out there....somewhere...I can't live without my lifetime supply of green legacy singles and corroded 21 switches.....it's a compulsion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts