Installing 2nd dish at a cabin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadwardie

Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
I'm new to this forum and looking for help...
I recently purchased a cabin and would like to be able to take one of my HD boxes up to use while I'm there.
My primary home is in 48030. My cabin is a few hours away, in 49689. I currently have a slimline sl3 swm dish with whole home dvr. I don't believe that this setup currently has a power insertor. I'd like to set up the same setup up north so I don't have to switch dish types each time I go back and forth. I'd be starting with 1 receiver at the cabin but may like to add additional receivers down the road someday. I also would like to receive my locals (either from home or the locals near the cabin) if possible. I'm fairly handy with tools and technology so I'm confident I can do this install myself, plus from what I've read, Dtv won't install at a 2nd home or I'll have to pay out of pocket for an install. Plus, they'll hit me with another receiver, etc for something I'm not going to use all the time.
What all do I need for this install? It looks like the consensus is to mount on the roof if possible but the area where the cabin is receives a ton of snow (130"+ this past winter) so a pole mount would be easier to keep cleared, etc.
I have an installers spool of RG59 that someone gave me awhile back. The installer that upgraded my home to the whole home dvr/sl3 lnb a few months ago said it was basically junk now and I should just pitch it. Being a cabin, I'd like to save $ where I can. A roll of RG6 is pretty expensive. I've read posts that say it can't be used, others that say it shouldn't be used, and others that say its fine. I will not have internet so won't be streaming, etc.
Do I need a power insertor? Anything else I'm missing aside from trying to get the thing aimed right? Any help/tips you pros can give me is appreciated.

Welcome to the site !

You will want a SWM SL3 dish WITH a Power Inserter, yes, you have one somewhere in line at your home.
How long of a run are you talking about needing at the cabin all together, you can probably buy cables that you need vs buying a whole roll of cable you'll never use.
I would recommend RG6 cable, vs the RG59, but you can get by with the 59 if you want.
You wont find an installer using 59 any more.

As for the roof, I would keep it off the roof if possible, if you have a place for it in the yard, use a pole, concrete the pole, make sure its plumb and has good line of sight and then you can get to it when the weather hits.
Thats the home owners call.

Thanks for the reply Jimbo.
The main run around the cabin to where the current cable goes in from the old antenna (where I'll be fishing it through the wall) is probably a couple hundred feet. I'd have to measure for sure this weekend.
Will the 59 result in a weaker signal or worse picture than the 6? If it's a digital signal, it shouldn't matter should it?

:welcome to Satelliteguys chadwardie!

According to the maps, you should be able to get your Detroit locals at your second location, but the signal strengths won't be optimal. Your locals are on the 103s satellite, transponders 15 and 23. In order to have stable reception, you want the signal strengths to be at least in the 80s. With those distances from the dish to the house, you should definitely use RG6, not RG59. Also, you will need to use solid core copper from the dish to the power inserter, especially with a long run like you will have. It's more expensive, but you could have voltage issues if you use the copper clad steel type. As Jimbo mentioned, if you do have a swm setup, you must have a power inserter somewhere in line. Press and hold the dash key on the remote. It will tell you if you have a swm setup or not.

Reactions: Jimbo
Thanks for the extra info Raoul. Yeah, I do have the SWiM connected to my current setup.
What's the best app/site to use to get the dish aimed right? Looks like there are quite a few of them. Any tips to get it sighted in quickly?

satellite ar on android is great for a rough idea of where to point it. For dithering there's a lot on youtube. And a few 'tricks' but most of what I could tell you you would need a meter. Start off by looking for 101 tp 25. Get that into the upper 90s. From there the 103ca tp 11 needs to be pretty high as well. And I'm sure every installer on here is having a heart attack right now. But truth be told without a proper meter your aiming won't be perfect. It will work however.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

A meter is the best way, of course, but many of us have used the signal strength meter in the receiver/dvr to align a dish.

Thanks for the reply Jimbo.
The main run around the cabin to where the current cable goes in from the old antenna (where I'll be fishing it through the wall) is probably a couple hundred feet. I'd have to measure for sure this weekend.
Will the 59 result in a weaker signal or worse picture than the 6? If it's a digital signal, it shouldn't matter should it?
Like Chip mentioned, if your going as far as you mentioned, you should definitely use RG6.
I would use RG6 regardless, but you could probably get by with RG59 IF you were 50 ft or under.

I second twizt3dkittys suggestion to use satellite ar on your phone. It's free and reasonably accurate.

Satellite AR gives you a very good idea where the satellites are located in the sky by looking at your smartphone. It's handy for determining if a tree or whatever might be blocking your los.

Satellite AR gives you a very good idea where the satellites are located in the sky by looking at your smartphone. It's handy for determining if a tree or whatever might be blocking your los.
As does the Dishpointer site.
Also gives you distance and height to the object obstructing your view.

Yes, but Satellite AR gives you the view on your phone, with dishpointer it only gives you the numbers.

I thought you were talking about the dishpointer website, I forgot about the app. I had it, but when I changed phones I got the other one, which is free.

I thought you were talking about the dishpointer website, I forgot about the app. I had it, but when I changed phones I got the other one, which is free.
I was actually going between both, but seeing I had paid for the DP Pro already, Alan from Dishpointer was kind enough to re activate mine that I lost when I changed phones awhile back.

I was going to ask him about that, but I found the other app which seems to work similarly.

I am going up to install Directv at 3 cabins today. They have hired me to get the service while they spend the weekend at the cabin. I have done these jobs over the years. As you say, Directv won't do the install but you can hire a tech to come up and do it for you. They purchase all the equipment and I install it for them. Often people can find used dishes and I will install that. You should be able to contact a installer that might do the job for you. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)