Installing antenna to replace Dish Network

donald1

Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
colorado
I am trying to install an antenna onto the dish network setup I currently have. I plan to cancel dish service once I get the antenna setup complete. The problem is that there are 2 cables coming out of the house into the dish and the antenna has only one cable mount.

How do I install an antenna when I have 2 cables coming out of the house??

I tried each cable independently and niether worked. Thanks

There is a dedicated OTA Forum, you may get a better answer. :)

For DishNet, you probably have 2 receivers? One cable to each receiver.
For testing, disconnect one cable from the Dish, which receiver is not working? Label the cable.
Now disconnect the cable from the receiver and connect to TV or Converter Box, back outside and re-connect cable to antenna. Once Antenna position is tweaked, do the same for the other TV.
Make sense?

It's very possible the two cables from your satellite dish go inside to a "switch" (silver electronic box).
Then, the switches output goes to the satellite receivers. That's how I'm hooked up.
If that is the case, then you might not be able to get a signal through it.

Can you describe better what "antenna" you are trying to hook up?
Do you mean a different satellite dish, or an off-the-air antenna, perhaps??

One additional sanity check, and apologies if this question is beneath the discourse:

Your televisions have internal ATSC tuners, correct? Or, failing that, you are using a digital converter box between the antenna and the television?

Donald1 what is your zip code in Colorado? What model of clear stream are you trying to connect? Do the 3 TVs have digital tuners built in or do you need converter boxes to get OTA channels? Can you describe your DISH setup in a little more detail, what model receiver and which dish?

It's probably going to be easier to drill a new hole and use a new wire. If drilling a new hole is a big no-no, then you need to figure out how your Dish setup is laid out now. So, the questions you need to answer are:

- You have three TVs; what Dish receiver(s) do you have?
- Do you subscribe to HD service from Dish?
- Which dish do you have (300, 500, 1000.x)?
- Was your house pre-wired for cable? Can you use a distribution block that's already there?

Need more info.
Did you have more than one dish receiver?

If so I am guessing there might be a box/switch between the cable where it connected to the dish and where the TV is.

If you can trace the wires and see what you can find.

Good luck

I am trying to install an antenna onto the dish network setup I currently have. I plan to cancel dish service once I get the antenna setup complete. The problem is that there are 2 cables coming out of the house into the dish and the antenna has only one cable mount.

How do I install an antenna when I have 2 cables coming out of the house??

I tried each cable independently and niether worked. Thanks

Donald1 you have 4 requests for more information so we can try and help you. Have you cured your problem or just abandoned this forum?