Lost channels that went VHF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

squirrelguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Hey guys'
I haven't been on this forum in about a year, so forgive me if this question has been asked a million times since June 12th of this year. It concerns Off ar channels. I have a sony 55inch HD. with a built in tuner and roof top antenna with rotor. Prior to "the great switchover", I had no trouble pulling in all of my locals. UHF and VHF. Even after doing at least 20 or so re-scans for digital channels, what has now happened is that any channel that WAS UHF prior to the switch over, that has now gone to VHF, I cannot recieve. I have throughout had the antenna which I do have a booster on, running straight to the tv, Not through the Direct T.V. reciever. I did try going thriugh the reciever however with no luck. Any suggestions? BTW. these stations are about 30 miles away just FYI.
Thanks,
Rocky

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with a channel that went from channel 31 to 12 after the switch-over. The problem, as usually is the case for those having trouble getting local channels OTA, was "ghosting". (Multi-phasing) ...or "too much" signal. Perhaps try losing the booster or try using an in-line VHF signal attenuator.

The way I confirmed that I had "too much" singal was by disconnecting my antenna, straightening out a paper clip and inserting it into the RF connector and rescanning channel 12. Picked it up no problem with a paper clip!

See ya
Tony

Are you refering the RF connector on the back of the Television or on the booster where the antenna connects with the paper clip.

You stick it in the TV's RF connector. Essentially you would be using the paper clip as the antenna. :)

Don't force it though. Use a paper clip about the size of the RG6 cable.

See ya
Tony

Hey Tony, tried the paper clip thing this morning with no luck. I guess I'll try the VFH antenna acuator you suggested next. What does the piece do? Thanks for your help, Rocky

I've never seen a VHF attenuator, but I've never looked for one, either. You didn't mention your zip code or anything, so we can't pull transmitter reports for you. Can you post that, please?

At 30 miles, a paper clip isn't likely to work unless you live on a hill, the transmitter is on a hill, and there's a 25-mile-wide gully between you. You're going to need a real combo antenna to pull that off, like an Antennacraft HBU-22 or an Antennas Direct V-series combo antenna.

Wow. Looks like channels 8, 11, and 13 are the ones that need an VHF-type antenna, and 8 is the only one to the north, at around 20 miles; closer than 11 and 13. I still recommend the Antennacraft HBU-22 or HBU-33, pointed roughly south, and 5' over the top of your own roof.

Wow. Looks like channels 8, 11, and 13 are the ones that need an VHF-type antenna, and 8 is the only one to the north, at around 20 miles; closer than 11 and 13. I still recommend the Antennacraft HBU-22 or HBU-33, pointed roughly south, and 5' over the top of your own roof.

Yup, those are the 3 I lost. Thanks. Anywhere on line I might find the antenna you recemended? what do they run?

Question......... From reading another post on the forum conserning pulling in off air signals, I may have found my problem. Wrong pre-amp. I have the motorola model 7775, which I went to solid signal to get is specs. on, and found that it is for UHF band only. I believe I should have model 7777 which if I'm understanding things correctly, gives UHF and VHF, and would solve my problem. Is this correct? If so, will I have to add another antenna coax to the set up, or just buy and install on the mast the 7777?

Yes a UHF only amplifier will definitely kill VHF signals. Try the digital channels without the UHF preamp connected you may not even need an amp.

Yes a UHF only amplifier will definitely kill VHF signals.
Not all of them do. Many will simply pass the VHF siganls with no amplification. I can't find the Motorola model you are referring to, so it's hard to say for your particular model. You should certainly try Boba's advice & try bypassing both pieces of the pre-amp before buying anything.

Question......... From reading another post on the forum conserning pulling in off air signals, I may have found my problem. Wrong pre-amp. I have the motorola model 7775, which I went to solid signal to get is specs. on, and found that it is for UHF band only. I believe I should have model 7777 which if I'm understanding things correctly, gives UHF and VHF, and would solve my problem. Is this correct? If so, will I have to add another antenna coax to the set up, or just buy and install on the mast the 7777?
You should try your antenna without the pre-amp first, but I think that you will need the CM7777. The CM7775 is definitely UHF only. Channels 11 & 13 are operating on a STA at a higher power setting at the moment. You should not have a problem receiving them at 30 miles. However, if the FCC doesn't allow the two stations to keep the higher power then you will need the pre-amp.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help. Will try rescan first without an amp. if that doesn't work I will purchase the cm 7777.

I have the same problem with one of my receivers no vhf at all but plug rg6 into the tv direct and let it scan and it pulls everything in. I think it is in the programming of the receiver/tv maybe a firmware upgrade.

I have the same problem with one of my receivers no vhf at all but plug rg6 into the tv direct and let it scan and it pulls everything in. I think it is in the programming of the receiver/tv maybe a firmware upgrade.

Try a double rescan.

The Digital TV Transition: Rescan DTV Converter Box

Or manually delete the channels that you can't receive and then rescan.

In one case factory reset and a rescan fixed a missing channel problem with a DTVpal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts