Installing New HD in a VIP 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dormie1360

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
Louisville, KY
The HD in my 722 died. I ordered a Seagate ST3500830SCE as a replacement....which from what I've read should work.

Do I need to prepare the drive in anyway as part of the installation....partition, etc? Once installed will the 722 automatically format and install software?

Thanks,
John

Just had the same issue a few weeks ago. The VIP722 will only take certain hard drives. Unplug the unit, install the hard drive, then plug the VIP722 back in. Wait a few minutes (patience!) and... nothing will happen. All of a sudden, you will get the hard drive is corrupted message and a reformat is needed. Click okay. I did nothing to prepare my hard drive, a rebuilt unit. Just plugged it in and the VIP722 did the rest. The old WD drive died after 1.5 years. I own my equipment, so didn't have many options. It is easy to replace the hard drive. The front panel comes readily off, only being held by clips. That gives you access to two screws on the front of the unit that holds the hard drive bracket.

The Seagate internal hard drive, the ST3500830SCE, is available new for about $100 from only one source I could find now (at a decent price) and certified rebuilt units for $42 at geeks.com so I bought a couple of spares. I will use those as external VIP722 storage until they are (hopefully) not needed for another internal replacement. Heat had to be a factor in the WD failure. In electronics and computers, heat kills. I took the VIP722 cover off and just the face of it sticks out of my equipment rack. It is running a lot cooler now. Oh, and I added a hard drive cooler directly to the internal hard drive, a Thermaltake A2376 Aluminum HDD Cooling unit for 2.99 at newegg. Fits perfectly. Heat is NOT a problem now.

can you take a hard drive from say a leased or high balance box and put it in your 722?

or do they permanetely marry somehow?

wonder if E will continue production of 722s with perhaps a larger hard drive?

Just had the same issue a few weeks ago. The VIP722 will only take certain hard drives. Unplug the unit, install the hard drive, then plug the VIP722 back in. Wait a few minutes (patience!) and... nothing will happen. All of a sudden, you will get the hard drive is corrupted message and a reformat is needed. Click okay. I did nothing to prepare my hard drive, a rebuilt unit. Just plugged it in and the VIP722 did the rest. The old WD drive died after 1.5 years. I own my equipment, so didn't have many options. It is easy to replace the hard drive. The front panel comes readily off, only being held by clips. That gives you access to two screws on the front of the unit that holds the hard drive bracket.

Thank you. I bought a refurbished at Geeks. I'm going to look into cooling options as well.

Thanks again,
John

Bob, it is my understanding that you can swap internal drives on like models and that the unit will use the drive as is without the need for formatting, i.e. programming that was on the drive can be viewed as if it was recorded by the device.

I may be mistaken, but from several discussions I've had with those who tinker with such, this appears to be the case.

can you take a hard drive from say a leased or high balance box and put it in your 722?

or do they permanetely marry somehow?

wonder if E will continue production of 722s with perhaps a larger hard drive?

I pulled The HDD out of a 722 that was dead for reasons other than the HDD and stuck it in my 622 that has just lost it's hard drive. No problem. It booted right up, formated and working like a champ

my bet is that since E stated the 722K will continue as the high def box for most customers soon we will see it renumbered, with a 2 terrabite or more internal drive..... given the decrease price in larger drives and a shortage of smaller ones............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)