Installing new image

BillH

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I lost power at my house and of course the 721 went down. When power returned, the 721 tried to boot but it went into "installing new image". And after about 3 reboots, it finally went to working but I have no guide, none of my timers and none of my recorded programs.

What is happening and is it possible that I might get my timers and programs back eventually.

BillH said:
I lost power at my house and of course the 721 went down. When power returned, the 721 tried to boot but it went into "installing new image". And after about 3 reboots, it finally went to working but I have no guide, none of my timers and none of my recorded programs.

What is happening and is it possible that I might get my timers and programs back eventually.
The best source of an answer is 1-800-333-3474 Tech support. You are more than likely going to have to purchase the DHPP if you are out of warranty and get an exchange of 721s. :)

Actually I would say the 721 is fine and probably doesn't need exchanged. Just the power went down at an unfortunate time with respect to the 721's storage management routines. With that in mind, sadly you probably won't be able to get your timers & recordings back. But the unit is probably "healthy" or at least as much so as it was prior to the outage.

I, along with many others here, strongly encourage you to invest in a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) for the DVR and some of your other A/V equipment. This past weekend I recabled my computer room and freed up one of the three UPSes to move downstairs to my A/V "command center". I put my 522, 921, and rear-projection TV on the battery side and it handles all three just fine when unplugged from the wall. Also, all its outlets give you better power filtering and protection against minor surges & spikes than a regular surge strip.

It was on a UPS

But the UPS finally went down. Power stayed off for about an hour. I have about decided the batteries are weak in the UPS.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ah, sorry I shouldn't have assumed you didn't have a UPS on there... :)

And I should add for others, the UPS won't solve all power outage problems, just the brief (maybe less than an hour) interruptions. I haven't tested mine out for runtime with this stuff currently connected to it. It's pretty old but at least I've seen it can handle a few minutes OK. I left my bigger 1200VA unit to run and protect my precious PDP-11/34a rack. :D

Sounds like your hard drive failed and then it reformated itself . Which means it is back to the factory standard condition. I had all of my 721s fail at one time or another and always lost all recordings, guides, etc. But they reformated and still worked fine. It only happened once on each one and they are still working.

Lost All but it is working now

Thanks to everyone's answers. I lost everything but it seems fine now. I just have to figure out what my wife's 13 timer settings were.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)