Installs

jerbear

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Why does Voom have such bad installers? I am afraid to get it installed. They must have a reason not to show up, but nobody says why. If I take off from work and they don't show up that is bad business, our company would not be in business very long if we did that.
Jerbear

People may be more inclined to make a post if their install had gone badly. My install was on time and they did a nice job. Voom contracts out the installs. Its a gamble but if I had dollar for all the botched DSL installations that I had to deal with I'd probably have a 70" DLP by now. :D

iNSTALLERS

Where do you live at? I install Voom and I am very professional. Sounds like the installation company you are dealing with has lots of problems------Fla

No Problems Either

I live in south central MN and had voom installed by an oufit out of Albert Lea, MN. I called to order the service on a Saturday and the Voom rep set an install date for the following Saturday. On Monday, these guys (I forget their namen offhand) called and said "that's not gonna work... can we do it Friday instead?" A day earlier?? I said sure. The installer did a fine job and was out of there in 2 hours. The supplied antenna didn't work for squat, but I suspected as much living as far from the Twin Cities as I do. The next day I put up a standard ChannelMaster UHF antenna. That's good for 13-15 channels, depending on the weather and the competence of the specific channel's engineers. All in all, the install went without a hitch. Go VOOM! :)

They just don't pay them enough and most don't have much training.

I am an electrician and a high end home theater and home automation installer. I do all in-wall completely custom installs. People call me in to redo so call "free" installs. When I'm finished, most all wires are hidden from view.

FREE has its cost. It is not always FREE.

jasie5555 said:
hey tvrobert, did u know voom would have done a free anntenna upgrade for you?

Yes I did, but after reading a lot of the stuff here, I decided to do it myself... I've been tottering between dropping the service and just sticking with locals... I don't want to spend ALL of my free time watching TV.

ratam said:
People may be more inclined to make a post if their install had gone badly. My install was on time and they did a nice job. Voom contracts out the installs. Its a gamble but if I had dollar for all the botched DSL installations that I had to deal with I'd probably have a 70" DLP by now. :D

how do you botch a DSL install.... easier than cable most times. I did it for 2 years.

ShadowEKU said:
how do you botch a DSL install.... easier than cable most times. I did it for 2 years.

Way off topic here but you asked... Poor line quality, tech can ping net and then leaves. Circuit goes up/down every few hours. Sometimes they install hardware before circuit is even provisioned and router not configured properly, etc., etc. I support #25 DSL sites in #5 states.

Back to Voom: Their programming started out slow and repetitive but just keeps getting better. Rave is my favorite HD channel. Wish list: all OAR and the DVR of course.

OTA Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hummm Doggy!

The finale of my installation Saga
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=37258&page=2&pp=15

The Tech came today (as promised) to fix my OTA Channel Problem.
This Tech was driving a VOOM Truck and said he was a VOOM Employee and not a contractor, (surprise surprise).

He checked out my installation and was not happy with the job the ProsSat installer did.
1. The Dish was not Grounded
2. The Dish needed better alignment *
3. The OTA was pointed in the completely wrong Direction. (Waay off)

He spent a Good hour trying to Tune the Winegard Sensar II but to no avail.
I asked him about my neighbor's house being in the way but he said that he's seen other installs with more obstructions that have not had problems.
Eventually, he busted out the Big ladder and remounted the OTA Antenna to the Very Peak of my roof which then easily cleared my neighbors roof. After that I got 19 Channels of OTA Goodness only 2 stations (that I know of) did not come in that was the WPBT channel 2- Sub channel 5 and WFLX 29 in West Palm Beach! But considering that I am in Southwest Kendall behind Country Walk (Past Metro-Zoo) it's not surprising! (for all you Non South Florida Folks the WPB Antenna is over 66 miles away, so no Big). My guess is the construction of my Neighbors roof had something to do with it. You see our houses were destroyed after Hurricane Andrew and when they rebuilt them, the Contractors used alot more metal strapping and Nails than your average house. (Mine too there's almost as much metal as Wood in my attic) so chances are that is what caused an an inordinate amount of interference.

Thats every station listed for my area on Antennaweb.org and all the sub channels save one! And they come blasting in at Signal Strengths of 98 and 99!

Sunday afternoon and Monday Night Football is SAVED! My Wife will be Happy and Peace and Tranquility will reign in my household!!

* When the Dish was installed it was getting 95-97 but had dropped to about 85. When the VOOM Guy Left it was at 98 and holding!!

Hey ,Threv, that is good news!

A VOOM truck with a VOOM employee that knows his stuff. We've got our fingers crossed for our 24" upgrade next Tues. I believe that makes the 5th time it has been scheduled by Installs, Inc.

Watching HDTV under rainy (what did you expect) Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
A VOOM truck with a VOOM employee that knows his stuff. We've got our fingers crossed for our 24" upgrade next Tues. I believe that makes the 5th time it has been scheduled by Installs, Inc.

Watching HDTV under rainy (what did you expect) Seattle skies, Gill

you know I keep reading Install Inc these and that but just to let you all know that when you asked for a 24 inch dish and upgraded antenna but here is the real scoop You call Voom and tell them you want a 24' dish or a upgraded antenna and they create a work order then Installs Inc scheduled the appointment assuming that they have created a work order so surely they have sent the tech the 24 in dish or already approve the antenna .But that is not what happen at all they Never have sent us the 24 in dish and when we call to get the antenna approved then tell us they have to e-mail some else and it could take up to 3 days to get that or if they tell you right then they usually deny the upgrade. So then you the customer get mad at the installer and Installs Inc and the blame should be put on Voom cause they are creating these work-order with send the dish or getting approval for the antenna before they create the work order.
And i can only say this cause it happen to me all the time get the work order telling be to put in a 24in dish and i call voom and they no nothing and tell me it will take about 7 days for me to get it . And when i call about the antenna upgrade they tell me they will not pay for they upgrade antenna for 1 channel SO WHY WOULD THEY CREATE THE WORK-ORDER ????????

TYORK, I get the jest of your frustration even through the peculiar grammatical structure of the sentences in your post. You need to sit back, open a cold one, and count to 10 before you have a stroke! Maybe you can sue Voom when it happens?

Indy said:
TYORK, I get the jest of your frustration even through the peculiar grammatical structure of the sentences in your post. You need to sit back, open a cold one, and count to 10 before you have a stroke! Maybe you can sue Voom when it happens?

Sorry Dennis I just so mad when these guys all they do is dog the installer they never but the blame on where it need to be, and very few every post the good things that the installer does.

Hey, Torok, I don't blame the installer. In our case...

it was the installer who called us to tell us that he had called Installs when he didn't receive the 24" upgrade. Installs contended they had shipped it to him and he should have received it on Thanksgiving Day but he was home all day....

Eventually, Installs admitted that they had shipped the antenna 3 times and had had it returned to them each time, this after one of their CSRs (Installs) told me it was VOOM's fault. So now they are trying to ship to a different installer. Guess we'll find out Mon. if it makes it to him.

Yes, early on with VOOM--last winter--we had some horror stories with our original install and followup service calls due to incompetence. However, for our last several service calls we've had competent and friendly techs whom we fully appreciate climbing up to our 2nd story roof to iron out OTA reception problems.

Only you know which problems can be traced back to VOOM or Installs. We do know that it is the service person who is usually blamed by the customer. This is why I've advised a friend who owns a local A/V shop to sell VOOM but make sure customers will call VOOM/Installs rather than him when they have install problems.

Watching HDTV under mostly beautiful blue Seattle skies, Gil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)