Instructions for Adding the 61.5 - revised 05/04

If I replace my DP Plus LNB by legacy dual LNBF (looks like I may get one from a friend), what switches do I need to connect it with my VOOM dish and supply my 2 receivers?

Walter L. said:
If I replace my DP Plus LNB by legacy dual LNBF (looks like I may get one from a friend), what switches do I need to connect it with my VOOM dish and supply my 2 receivers?

Try reading the first post. It's all there.

Once again: You CANNOT use a VOOM dish with a DP or DP+ setup without hacking up the Voom dish.

Sorry guys. I don't mind helping out, but some of these questions could have been answered by reading the original post. The same questions over and over again was why I did this post to begin with. I realize there are exceptions.

jwprimetime said:
Is it possible to combine the two leads from the DP twin and feed them into my DP 34?

NO! You HAVE to run 2 wires from a DPTwin to a DP34 for the 110 & 119. IF you are using the DPTwin for the 61.5, then you only need 1 WIRE. The DP34/DP+44 REQUIRES 1 wire from EACH location. It line locks the Twin so that port 1 is the 119 and port 2 is the 110.

From the INITIAL POST

"ANY E* Sub that has Local Channels available on the 61.5 Can get a free install done. However, YOU MUST ASK for the LOCAL ADDITIONAL DISH, and NOT an HD Upgrade for it to be free."

I am not very handy when it come to this satellite area - I think I am in the Los Angeles Market (Orange County, California) how do I go about finguring out if ANY Local Channel is available on 61.5 so I could require E* to provide the dish and install for free (currently I believe all I have is a 500 connected to an 811, a 311 and 522). And where do I find the requirement that E* install for free so when I get a CSR that says they will charge me I can reference the requirement. Thanks.

I was checking the E* site and noticed that they have a few diagrams that some of you might find useful. They are under Products>Installation>Installation diagrams. I didn't see anything illustrating DP setups, but they had a couple with SW21 and SW64.
Here is the one illustrating the SW21 connections with legacy LNB's.Dual SW21

Bob H.

I'm also in Orange County, CA. We qualify for 3 locals that are not on the 110/119 birds. They're pretty useless channels. I called yesterday and I'm getting the 2nd dish installed tomorrow FREE! Just gonna ask/bribe the installer to aim it a 61.5. No problems with the LOS, I'm an x-voomer. If he dosen't want to do that, well I guess I will do it myself. But everything will be wired up and ready to go. I already called Dish and they turned on my Voom channels for the extra $5/mo. Just told them that I was gonna do a self-install.

mcdeeee said:
I'm also in Orange County, CA. We qualify for 3 locals that are not on the 110/119 birds. They're pretty useless channels. I called yesterday and I'm getting the 2nd dish installed tomorrow FREE! Just gonna ask/bribe the installer to aim it a 61.5. No problems with the LOS, I'm an x-voomer. If he dosen't want to do that, well I guess I will do it myself. But everything will be wired up and ready to go. I already called Dish and they turned on my Voom channels for the extra $5/mo. Just told them that I was gonna do a self-install.

What are the 3 locals for my reference - Also am I correct that you are indicating that they are on 148 (rather than 61.5)? Also, are the installers from DISH accepting of a request to aim at 61.5 if that is not where it is supposed to go (not sure if I could manage it myself). I presume that if I am already paying for locals there will be no additional charge for programming, until I call to add the new HD channels - did they indicate whether there was a subscription committment if all you are doing is having them turn on the additional HD channels for the $5 a month? Thanks.

Also am I correct that you are indicating that they are on 148 (rather than 61.5)? YES Also, are the installers from DISH accepting of a request to aim at 61.5 if that is not where it is supposed to go (not sure if I could manage it myself). I've seen a few people on this board already do the same. I presume that if I am already paying for locals there will be no additional charge for programming, until I call to add the new HD channels - did they indicate whether there was a subscription committment if all you are doing is having them turn on the additional HD channels for the $5 a month? Thanks.

No subscription. 2nd dish free period. Just call and ask them if you're elgible and if there are any locals that your missing that the're supposed to provide. They'll tell you. Just don't mentions anything about Voom or the HD upgrade. That comes later.

richard_rd said:
Walter,

1. You can modify the voom dish to work. You need to purchase a Dual DP LNB (this is a single DP LNB with two coax connectors. Don't confuse it with a Twin DP LNB which has two lnb's and 4 coax connectors). You can by the Dual DP LNB for $30 new and about $10 bucks on ebay.

2. You will need to buy a DP500 I bracket ($8 new). This will allow you to connect the D shaped DP LNB to the square shaped Voom dish's LNB arm.

3a. If your current DP500 is using a DP34 switch and you have one of the 3 LNB ports unused, then you just hook the new DPlnb to the unused port and you are set to go.

3b. If your current DP500 or Superdish is using a DP34 and all 3 LNB ports are being used already (i.e. 110, 119, 105/121) then you have 2 options:
Option 1 - Replace the DP34 with a DPP44. This will give you the 4th LNB port you need, but the switch is expensive (about $180 new or $80 on ebay).
Option 2 - You can piggyback a DP21 switch ($25 new or $5 on ebay ). Take output #1 of from the dp34 and connect it to input 1 on the DP21. Connect the Voom dish's new DP LNB to input #2 on the DP21. Take the output from the DP21 and connect it to the HD receiver. If you are using Two 811's or a 921/942 Dual tuner you will need to use a second DP21 and repeat the proccess with output #2 from the DP34 switch.

Hi I have a couple question my setup is a super dish(105,110,119)

My idea is to get a DISH 500 I assume it will havea DP LNB and do this
Option 1 - Replace the DP34 with a DPP44. This will give you the 4th LNB port you need, but the switch is expensive (about $180 new or $80 on ebay)

Question I read about the DP 44 and a power insertion what exactly is that will that be required and what does the power insertion do?

thanks

Trido

Just saw the quote from richard_rd.

People might want to consider the difference in arm length between the D500 that the I-bracket is designed for, and the V* (or D* or D300) dishes. Now remember that the dish is a lens with a focal point.

Then break out your hacksaw and drill. ;) NOW it'll work just fine. :)

question if I have a DP Twin -LNB can this be used toa DP44 switch for 61.5?

Can one cable run from DP TWIN LNB to switch 44 or MUST TWO cables be used?

trido

trido said:
question if I have a DP Twin -LNB can this be used toa DP44 switch for 61.5?

Can one cable run from DP TWIN LNB to switch 44 or MUST TWO cables be used?

trido

From my understanding, you just need one. Use port one and place foil over the 110 port..

SimpleSimon said:
People might want to consider the difference in arm length between the D500 that the I-bracket is designed for, and the V* (or D* or D300) dishes. Now remember that the dish is a lens with a focal point.

I guess one of us is going to have to post an instruction manual for using a D500 on the 61.5(against my recommendations), and how to hack the V* and D* dishes to use the DP LNBs.

Upgrade to Dish Pro ?

First, I want to thank Larry for his effort in putting the faq page together and for the patience in answering some of the questions.

I have a legacy quad on a dish 500 feeding an 811, 501, 4900 and a 301. I plan to add the 61.5 bird tomorrow with a legacy single lnb on a dish 500 I had stashed in the garage. I'll add this to the line going to the 811 with a sw 21 (another part of my garage stash). I also have a winegard on the roof that has been split and diplexed on all 4 lines. I also have 2 coax lines run to each room that has a receiver.....love to feed back out to the deck and use the radio remotes.

Simple and should work.

My question pertains to a situation that would arise if I were to add a 921 or 924 in the future and drop say the 4900. It seems that I would have to replace the single lnb with dual looking at 61.5. It would also seem reasonable to use a multiswitch, or potentially upgrade to dishpro products. The 942 would need 2 feeds with the 61.5 and the 811 would need to see the 61.5. I would also need a total of 5 sat feeds, 2 for the 921, 1 ea for the 811, 501, and 301. Any ideas on a set up ?

I know I don't need the info yet, but my brother in law is pretty serious about switching to dish and he'll likely want something similar.

Here's my setup and my plan, please correct any errors. I had a new installation last Sunday: The hardware consists of single dish with two LNB's and two coax outputs. The LNB is labeled Dish Pro. I have two coax cables coming off the dish to a ground block and then on to one SD DVR receiver and one 811 HD receiver. I have my old V* dish. I've tried to connect the V* directly to the 811 and it didn't work. I did a CHECK SWITCH, but it never seemed to see anything.

My plan is to buy another 500 Dish Pro (hopefully I can find a single LNB model) and a DP21. I'll install the new dish, connect it to the DP21. Then I'll install one of the Twin LNB coax leads to the DP21 and then the DP21 output to the 811. Then I should be able to tune the single LNB to 61.5. Once I can see where the Voom channels as unsubscribed, I'll call Dish and get them activated.

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts