Instructions to get MRV (whole home DVR) activated for ethernet

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If I just want access to my HR23 from only one other location (H24 in bedroom), can I piggy-back directly to the HR23's 2nd ethernet port? I would also like to isolate the MRV traffic from my other network activity. I already have a SWM install and don't want to pay for a DECA upgrade. I have two runs of cat5e that go to each location that can either be passed through my router or joined to make a solid run from HR23 to H24. Sorry if this is a dumb question as I'm new to this forum and MRV.

You can directly connect two receivers, or more than two if your receivers have two active network ports on them. Some receivers, I think the HR20-100's, have two ports but only one works.

It takes a little longer for the two receivers to decide they arent getting any DHCP response and to start talking to each other directly, but it works.

Do note that if you plug both receivers into a network switch that the switch will isolate the traffic between the receivers from the rest of the network. Thats what a switch does.

I have 5 DVRs going into a switch and the switch connected to the router. MRV and DOD work well but I have to reset the router 4 or 5 times a day. As a test I unplugged the switch from the router and now it never needs resetting. MRV still works fine without the router but no DOD of course. Any suggestions?

I have 5 DVRs going into a switch and the switch connected to the router. MRV and DOD work well but I have to reset the router 4 or 5 times a day. As a test I unplugged the switch from the router and now it never needs resetting. MRV still works fine without the router but no DOD of course. Any suggestions?

Bad router or switch. The other possibility is the IP addresses are conflicting. Some work with DHCP, others need static assignments. I would try manually configuring the IP addresses for each DVR, and see if that helps.

Okay am new on this stuff and trying to wrap my brainpan around it.

Right now I only have the one HR-22. I do have it connected to a ether hub to my home network so I can use the DTV2PC app. I have seen enough ppl comment on how great the new 24's are and wanted one so I just called and ordered the Whole house deal. The woman I spoke with said most likely they are going to replace my 22 with a 24 as well as a new 24 for the 2nd room, at least temporarily.

Now assuming they replace the 22 and I end up with 2 HR-24's am I going to have any problems with being able to access the living room HR-24 on my office monitor over the network? I'm really not up to date on all this Decca stuff and now can't even find the PDF I had on the HR-24 to try and read up if anyone can point me to a link.

Just received an hr24 from newegg and activated it. Works great. Called dtv to get the mrv network option working and the lady told me that my system would have to be upgraded to swm before it would work and $149 total I think. From what I have read, it seems that my system is fine for the non deca setup. She did tell me that all my receivers are ok for mrv.

Just received an hr24 from newegg and activated it. Works great. Called dtv to get the mrv network option working and the lady told me that my system would have to be upgraded to swm before it would work and $149 total I think. From what I have read, it seems that my system is fine for the non deca setup. She did tell me that all my receivers are ok for mrv.
So, do I have to upgrade to swm first?

No, you just either need to call a different CSR and walk them through the steps in this thread, or send an email with similar content to the emails people sent by people earlier in this thread.

What is wrong with Directv. I've made 4 phone calls with them to try to get my mrv activated. I told them I wanted mrv and that I was in the beta test with my own home network. Each time I was turned down. The first person I talked to I told what to do in the system and he told me "I know how to do my job" haha. I blew it off and called again which lead to a 37min phone call with a lot of holding. Next time I call the person says I need to have at least 2 hd dvr's. I have 1 hr22 and 2 r22's. Last person I talked to sounded some what important since you couldn't hear other people around so she must of had a office. Very nice and she tried everything she could including taking the r22 off and putting it back on the account and she said you have to have at least 2 hd dvr's. So of course I told them no thanks since I don't want to add 24 months on to my contract. I wrote Directv an email to see if I can get it done that way.

I was up and running after just a single 5min call to customer service (at 9:30pm, no less!). When I made the request for unsupported MRV over my home network, Rep knew exactly what to do. He commented that I obviously had information from someone inside DirecTv. I said yep, that what's friends are for. We both laughed it off and after a quick reset on the equipment, MRV is active and working. Sorry to hear some others aren't having as much success. BTW, I never was on Beta and had just activated my 2nd receiver about an hour earlier.

No luck with the email either. She's like I looked back at your account and saw you called us and to inform you again you need at least 2 hr hd hdvr's in order to use this service! :rant:

No luck with the email either. She's like I looked back at your account and saw you called us and to inform you again you need at least 2 hr hd hdvr's in order to use this service! :rant:

You don't need 2 DVRs but you must have at least one DVR and one HD receiver. Their system doesn't see the R22 as an HD receiver. I hope they get it straightened out soon.

Is Ethernet connectivity an option for new installs? I have an install scheduled for July and I've selected MRV, but I already have GigE network access available in the locations where the receivers would be installed.

I really want the SWM hardware to simplify cabling, but would like to avoid adding the DECA bits and just use my existing network if possible.

Well imagine my surprise that coming back 6 months after suspending my account due to a move that the MRV is no longer BETA. Seems like from the reading on here that I can either call or email (best) DIRECTV to have them re-activate the MRV for a $3 monthly fee and hope for the best.

When I suspended my account back in September, the BETA test for MRV was taken offline so I wasn't able to use MRV prior to my 6 month hiatus. From what I understand, it was brought back for a short time before being discontinued permanently for this whole house DVR thing. Will my MRV still work (i've got everything wired again) if they approve the re-activation of MRV or would I have needed that old software to go the non DECA route? Thanks for any help!

DW

Bad router or switch. The other possibility is the IP addresses are conflicting. Some work with DHCP, others need static assignments. I would try manually configuring the IP addresses for each DVR, and see if that helps.

You can also try and update the firmware on your router. I had the same problem with my linksys router and I updated the firmware and it very rarely happens now.

Figured I would wait a week or so to try and just called to activate MRV over ethernet and all I accomplished was a whole lot of frustration on my part. I tried to politely as possible that I had MRV through the CE program and that I knew it was unsupported and all I get in return was that they made several improvements in the service and I had to get the DECA adapters. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was assured they were going to give me the same information and placed on hold. After a few minutes she came back and told me the system had gone down 3 minutes ago but I could still talk to a supervisor at which point I said it was not necessary as they could not do anything with the system down she reassured me that I would still have to get the DECA adapters ...............I hung up :( Guess it's time for CSR roulette.

Well imagine my surprise that coming back 6 months after suspending my account due to a move that the MRV is no longer BETA. Seems like from the reading on here that I can either call or email (best) DIRECTV to have them re-activate the MRV for a $3 monthly fee and hope for the best.

When I suspended my account back in September, the BETA test for MRV was taken offline so I wasn't able to use MRV prior to my 6 month hiatus. From what I understand, it was brought back for a short time before being discontinued permanently for this whole house DVR thing. Will my MRV still work (i've got everything wired again) if they approve the re-activation of MRV or would I have needed that old software to go the non DECA route? Thanks for any help!

DW

Everything still works the same as it did before. I'm using cat-5 cables to a switch.

Figured I would wait a week or so to try and just called to activate MRV over ethernet and all I accomplished was a whole lot of frustration on my part. I tried to politely as possible that I had MRV through the CE program and that I knew it was unsupported and all I get in return was that they made several improvements in the service and I had to get the DECA adapters. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was assured they were going to give me the same information and placed on hold. After a few minutes she came back and told me the system had gone down 3 minutes ago but I could still talk to a supervisor at which point I said it was not necessary as they could not do anything with the system down she reassured me that I would still have to get the DECA adapters ...............I hung up :( Guess it's time for CSR roulette.

A royal pain but worth it to get MRV activated. They don't know about CE but some of them know beta test. Try that as a buzzword.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts