Instructions to get MRV (whole home DVR) activated for ethernet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
sooo your telling me she lied? :eek: ...haha thanks for the heads up. I will call them tomorrow. When you say ACE I assume that is an acronym for something...accounts collection enforcement maybe? hahah j/k. I will call tomorrow.

Ace is an acronym.

It stands for

Advancing (the)
Customer
Experience

There job is basically this, take order for hardware , prequalify you for bundles , to reschedule service calls when needed . to Setup work order for relocation and modify work orders when needed and some when the tech doesnt call the right now the actual activation

cool, thanks a bunch. I dindnt want to sound like an idiot asking for ACE when I had no clue what it stood for. I finally got to the bottom of it. Yesterday when I called she kept telling me I need a new dish. I told her I had one. When I called today the tech told me the same thing. Apparently it is not in the system that I have the single line dish and it wont let them do squat on their end. Im guessing this is why the installer who came to put my HR24 in brought a new dish etc to install then had to cancel all of it out when he saw I already had it. He escalated it to his boss and told me it would be 72 hours or so and to call back. He said that once its in the system he could probably turn it on. I also asked him about enabling the MRV over ethernet unsupported without their DECA module. He proceeded to inform me that they all had built in DECA and I could hook one cat5 cable up to either receiver and they would talk to each other. This worries me so I hope its not him I get when I call back.

I have been trying to get MVR enabled without success. I did the beta with my wired network and it worked just fine. The first problem was that i had an old plan, changed that. Now the problem is that one of my receivers is an R22 and they tell me it the system wont let them add MVR because of the non-HD reciever.

I tried what people in this thread have said about removing the R22 enabling MRV then adding back but the csr's cant seem to make it work.

Should I keep trying different csr's?

Actually just called again, they put in the notes on my account not to enable MVR because of my R22. So now it doesnt matter how many times i call CS they look at the notes and dont even try.

It just amazes me that it is so difficult to activate after working flawlessly on the beta

I asked this in another thread, but how can I get MRV and being hooked up to the internet work at the same time? It seems when I have my receiver connected to the internet, it disables MRV? :confused:

well, It seems as though I did all this for nothing as well. Its my fault as I should have checked. It seems my high dollar router is not a "gigabit" router. Its a linksys wrt400N. I dont know much about networks, but I do know that it would probably run better on the DECA setup. I guess Ill try to find someone local to sell me the module, power supply, and new or additional splitter before I call Direct up.

Thats a very good router, but it doesnt have gigabit support. That having been said, if all your receivers are connected to it and are having trouble, I'm not sure its the router.

Have you updated the router to the latest firmware? Some earlier software versions had some intermittent problems. It also looks like you bought your own cable and put your own connections on it. Can you replace those one at a time with some other store bought cable just to be sure?

Its not necessarily easy to crimp your own cables. If you've been doing it all day, every day, you can have good luck with it but its not uncommon to get a bad crimp or a loose connection.

I dont want to clog up the intertubes with recommendations, but if anyone is looking for a <$50 wireless N router with a gigabit switch, PM me. I know of 2-3 pretty decent ones depending on what you're looking for.

no, no, Im not having problems with it. Both DVRS are hooked up to it and are streaming ondemand with no problem. I make quite a bit of cat5 cables at work. I dont do any networking, but I do have to run a bunch of cable. What I was getting at was I was going to go with the unsupported MRV. I was kind of getting the vibe that it would be better to just go the DECA route since my router didnt have the speed I thought it did and I would obviously want what is fastest. I was worrying about my router slowing everything down when the DVRS are just talking to each other. I could be mistaken though.:confused:

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before...I have an HR21-100 and an H21-100 and I want to be able to do the whole home DVR service. I know it is an extra $3.00 per month. I am trying to figure out what I will need to do this, preferably without having to pay $156.00 to get someone to come out to install the hardware. I would prefer to try to do it myself. I currently have my HR21-100 wirelessly networked to my router with a Linksys wireless ethernet box. What additional hardware do I need to attach to my non DVR box to enable multi room viewing? Is this something I should be able to handle myself? I consider myself fairly tech savvy and am usually good at figuring this kind of stuff out.

Start reading this thread because thats what its about!

Basically network all your dvr's together to a switch or router, then follow the instructions at the top of the thread to have directv turn it on in 'unsupported mode'.

no, no, Im not having problems with it. Both DVRS are hooked up to it and are streaming ondemand with no problem. I make quite a bit of cat5 cables at work. I dont do any networking, but I do have to run a bunch of cable. What I was getting at was I was going to go with the unsupported MRV. I was kind of getting the vibe that it would be better to just go the DECA route since my router didnt have the speed I thought it did and I would obviously want what is fastest. I was worrying about my router slowing everything down when the DVRS are just talking to each other. I could be mistaken though.:confused:

On-demand isnt a very demanding application, should there be network drops I wouldnt expect you'd notice them in a VoD download. You'd notice them in MRV because streaming real time HD is a VERY demanding app.

Did you check your router firmware level against current? If not, upgrade it and see if that solves any problems you're having. I wouldnt expect that a couple of receivers tied to that routers internal switch would have any problems running MRV. DECA is dedicated and should offer some improvements on pause/fast forward/rewind response time, but I dont know how noticeable it'd be.

Hi all, new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone here is still using the MRV feature over home ethernet/networking, or if anyone has experienced any issues.

Summary:
I have a H23 and HR22 receiver, both MRV capable, and apparently I have a non-SWM Slimline5 dish and lnb setup. I'd like to get MRV enabled and used over my home network, however I'm experiencing difficulties talking to the DTV CSRs. They claim I MUST spend $199 to get someone out to set up "new equipment" presumably to enable SWM/DECA.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I use it now and have since it was in Beta; with ZERO issues. I have no issues using VoD while using MRV or with other traffic on my network. Do a search here for the thread discussing how to get it activated.

I use it now and have since it was in Beta; with ZERO issues. I have no issues using VoD while using MRV or with other traffic on my network. Do a search here for the thread discussing how to get it activated.

Thanks charper! I believe this is the thread with the instructions, but the last post was from several months ago, so I was hoping to find out if anything had changed since November. I've placed several calls to DTV hitting a brick wall of clueless CSRs. After reading your post, I think I will continue trying to get MRV enabled without all the DECA add-ons. Thanks again!

nope, I think the thread I am talking about (it may be this one) suggests how to go to your ONLINE account and the proper wording to request it there; not a phone call. That is how I was able to do it as well.

I was talking about this method:

Below is a cut & paste......................

I posted a thread last week in which I detailed a method for getting MRV enabled in an 'unsupported' mode when talking to a CSR.

DIRECTV has asked that we make a change in our process for requesting 'unsupported' setup.

At this point, the recommended (and requested by DIRECTV) method for getting your account set to 'unsupported' is to use E-mail.

Simply click here to get started.

* Enter your contact information
* For Topic, select "Services"
* For Topic, select "Whole Home DVR Service"
* For Subject, Enter "Please enable Whole Home DVR Service for public beta customer"
* For Question, Enter "I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill."
* Enter the security information
* Press Continue

At this point, please do not use Twitter nor call CSRs to make this request. Sending an E-mail will provide you with the most effective method to success.

I was talking about this method:

Below is a cut & paste......................

I posted a thread last week in which I detailed a method for getting MRV enabled in an 'unsupported' mode when talking to a CSR.

DIRECTV has asked that we make a change in our process for requesting 'unsupported' setup.

At this point, the recommended (and requested by DIRECTV) method for getting your account set to 'unsupported' is to use E-mail.

Simply click here to get started.

* Enter your contact information
* For Topic, select "Services"
* For Topic, select "Whole Home DVR Service"
* For Subject, Enter "Please enable Whole Home DVR Service for public beta customer"
* For Question, Enter "I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill."
* Enter the security information
* Press Continue

At this point, please do not use Twitter nor call CSRs to make this request. Sending an E-mail will provide you with the most effective method to success.

This is perfect, thanks charper!

WOOHOO! Thanks again charper!

Thank you for writing. We will be happy to assist you with adding the Whole-Home DVR service. To clarify your statement about DIRECTV supporting network based Whole-Home DVR, DIRECTV has not supported and does not have plans to support network based Whole-Home DVR. As such, we will be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the network based Whole-Home DVR Service. For questions about this set up, please seek assistance in our technical forum at [Cached:21:44:24-21:44:24]Home.

I have added the Whole-Home DVR service to your account.The service changes to your account will be reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on "Activity Since Last Bill" in the My Account column.

Because DIRECTV bills you for service at the start of your billing period, any changes that are made mid month, such as adding or removing a service, will show as charges or credits from the day the change occurred to the end of that 30 day period. Your next bill will reflect a partial charge and a full 30 day charge of $3.00 for the Whole-Home DVR service.

Thank you again for writing and participating in the Cutting Edge user group.

Sincerely,

Christopher E. 100321646
DIRECTV Customer Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)