This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Integrated Tuner and Satellite, Do I need Satellite HD Box?

suncoast

Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I just purchased a Sanyo 30'' Wide Screen HD TV model #HT30744. It has Dual Integrated Analog & Digital Tuners (you can view the specs on the Sanyo 30" HDTV).

I want to subscribe to either Dish Network or Directv and receive HD programming. Since I have the Integrated tuner, do I need to purchase the HD program package from the satellite company (includes HD boxtop tuner) or can I purchase their basic package with the regular boxtop putner?

I'm not trying to cheapout, but I hate to give away money if I don't have to.

Thanks!!!
Steve

To get OTA HD...no
To get ESPNHD, Discovery HD, the HD package...yes. you would also need a HD box

Sorry Steve, but you'll still need to get the HD box from E* or D*. Your built in digital tuner will allow you go get Over-The-Air digital stations in your area, but no TV sets (that I'm aware of) have integrated Satellite tuners. (Some newer sets do have integrated "cable cards" that are supposed to allow them to get digital cable without a box.) Assuming you have good local OTA reception, your new set will give you added flexibility. Since most of the HD Satellite boxes also have OTA digital tuners built in, you will be able to watch one local program (on your TV's tuner), while recording another program - either satellite or OTA from the satellite set-top-box. (I have a Zenith with built in digital tuner and a Dish Network 811 HD reciever.)