Interested in FTA need help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Xoibsurferx, I think it's after you've made something like 10 posts, then you can post links? Maybe someone else can verify this?

If you look closely at that dish it looks more to be a 6 - 7 foot dish ... at least its in good shape ... Every time I find a dish out in the wild I take a picture with my smart phone with geo-tagging turned on ...That way I have no problems remembering where it was I saw it at.. and there is lots of them still still up in the Carolinas ... And use google maps to search the neighborhood I found 2 12 footers about 2 miles away from me that way the guy would not give them up though ..

Researching some channels
Check Mike Kohls list. global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html **
I take a picture with my smart phone with geo-tagging turned on
very good idea.
$300 and 4hrs?? Take the 300, subtract your time and expenses- Sounds like $75 is 'left over'. Scrap value is about that also. And they only get that if they take it down themselves.

**Links that aren't links. delete the http://www then we just copy, type www. and paste - go
If that don't work. don't type www. it's just copy-paste-go. One way or another ?
But pretty soon links will be a go. Also think its 10 posts.

As a kid I was always fascinated with satellites and now since I have a family of my own and we're living in our own house I'd really like to stop paying $100 a month for cable or $75 a month for direct tv. My wife and I decided we really only watch a few channels such as Nick Jr for the kids, TLC, MTV, Teen nick, and local channels. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get them channels FTA but would love it if I could. Even if I can't get them I'd still be very interested in getting a FTA set up going. I know I'd want/need a 12ft mesh satellite with rotor, a satellite finder so I can find some satellites in the sky, and would need a receiver. Is there anything else I'd need? I'd like to pick up KU band as well as C band if its even possible to pick up both with one set up. Also on "the list" what does encrypted mean?

I'm a little late to this convo and don't know if this will help but check this out. I too was fascinated by dishes (big ones in the 80s) as a kid and my parents wouldn't buy one for me to play and learn despite tons of begging so now I play with FTA and think about how I missed out on the heyday (captain midnight hi jinx and what not) of TVRO dishes.

Any who... I just cut the cord with cable and FTA and ota is not a replacement but with the channels you listed... IF you could get a c band dish and 4dtv box... IF you can get a subscription from srl or skyvision, they have an mtv 2 pack which has nick jr mtv 2 nick toons teen nick and a handful of other for around $20 a month. Look there killed 2 birds with one stone, you get cheap tv and get to play with a giant dish. That's big IFs but if you can....

I'm a little late to this convo and don't know if this will help but check this out. I too was fascinated by dishes (big ones in the 80s) as a kid and my parents wouldn't buy one for me to play and learn despite tons of begging so now I play with FTA and think about how I missed out on the heyday (captain midnight hi jinx and what not) of TVRO dishes.

Any who... I just cut the cord with cable and FTA and ota is not a replacement but with the channels you listed... IF you could get a c band dish and 4dtv box... IF you can get a subscription from srl or skyvision, they have an mtv 2 pack which has nick jr mtv 2 nick toons teen nick and a handful of other for around $20 a month. Look there killed 2 birds with one stone, you get cheap tv and get to play with a giant dish. That's big IFs but if you can....

We honestly don't watch more than the few channels listed. I'll be searching for new shows to watch once I get a dish in place and operational. I'll look into the mtv2 pack and see if it would be an option. I'm glad I wasn't the only one fascinated by big satellite dishes. I read tons of books from the public library and school library as a kid and tried talking my parents into a big dish but it was about the time when direct tv hit the market and my parents liked that better of course .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts