Interesting article about TWC on streaming devices such as Roku etc..

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Since you only get live streams on Roku, and no DVR, I do not think they are worried that everyone will throw out their cable boxes and use Rokus instead.

And the Cable Cos. now view themselves as ISP's, and that future is bright. With the cable cos. now implementing the STANDARD 15-30Mps for a big flat fee (with data cap) of about $50 and eliminating any less expensive options (most notably Comcast and Charter being first), one can see how they can cozy to any device using internet.

Folks managed to survive 50-60 years of TV watching without a DVR so it isnt a "deal breaker" for me. Sure I'll miss it, but I won't be depressed about it.

Yep, survived for years and years without a DVR. Also without internet, a cellphone, laptop, etc. Don't want to go back.

When I cut the cable, I still kept my TIVO. Was much easier to give up Honey-boo-boo than time shifting.

Streaming is the dvr that you didn't have to remember to program.

Yes and no. The netflix model is like that, but lots of stuff is simply streaming a live feed where you get what is currently playing. No opportunity to select programs. Basically, a stream of BBC is what is on BBC right now.

I am assuming that any TWC stream feed of cable channels will use that model.

Yes and no. The netflix model is like that, but lots of stuff is simply streaming a live feed where you get what is currently playing. No opportunity to select programs. Basically, a stream of BBC is what is on BBC right now.

I am assuming that any TWC stream feed of cable channels will use that model.

The Roku just streams, but the iPhone/iPad app supposedly carries VOD, like your cable box could get. So, if the TWC had free VOD from a channel you should be able to get on the idevices.

Didn't Time Warner or Comcast win a copyright case for a cloud DVR solution for their customers? Knowing what I know now about IPTV working for a local cooperative. It wouldn't be that hard to just record shows customers want at the datacenter and then stream it to customers that request it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts