Play On worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
I have a roku 2 xs that we mainly use for netflix, vevo and the occasional amazon rental. I hook my laptop to the tv with a cable and watch a lot of hulu's free content and stuff from cbs. I don't pay for anything monthly except netflix and my internet bill. No other subscriptions or cable tv. Would I gain anything paying for Play On?

I think they have a free trial. If you hook your laptop up to your TV you will not gain anything. Essentially it just allows computer only videos (like free Hulu) that are computer only to play on a roku.

You'd still have to hook the laptop to your tv to use Playon, unless your Roku is DLNA capable then you could catch the Playon broadcasts through that. I don't have one, so don't know for sure if they are DLNA. I use my Playon running on a dedicated HTPC, and used a WDTV Live unit to "receive" it. Now I have a new 3D LG tv with internet apps, and it can receive DLNA broadcasts directly, so I no longer need to go though the WDTV Live. Of course with all the apps that are native to the tv, there's also much less reason to fire up Playon and use it. Hulu FREE version is a good reason though, if you use it a lot. The tv has Hulu, but it's the paid one, so why bother using paid Hulu since the free version has so much available? So, that's how I use Playon the most: free Hulu shows

You'd still have to hook the laptop to your tv to use Playon, unless your Roku is DLNA capable then you could catch the Playon broadcasts through that. I don't have one, so don't know for sure if they are DLNA. I use my Playon running on a dedicated HTPC, and used a WDTV Live unit to "receive" it. Now I have a new 3D LG tv with internet apps, and it can receive DLNA broadcasts directly, so I no longer need to go though the WDTV Live. Of course with all the apps that are native to the tv, there's also much less reason to fire up Playon and use it. Hulu FREE version is a good reason though, if you use it a lot. The tv has Hulu, but it's the paid one, so why bother using paid Hulu since the free version has so much available? So, that's how I use Playon the most: free Hulu shows

PlayOn has an app for the Roku.

I have a roku 2 xs that we mainly use for netflix, vevo and the occasional amazon rental. I hook my laptop to the tv with a cable and watch a lot of hulu's free content and stuff from cbs. I don't pay for anything monthly except netflix and my internet bill. No other subscriptions or cable tv. Would I gain anything paying for Play On?

You can try the free trial they have to see if it's something you would want. For me, it's pretty much junk. The PQ is absolute garbage.

I've got PlayOn but don't really use it much. I use the "my media" part somewhat for my HTPC. It isn't able to be customized and is nowhere near as fancy as Plex. So I stuck with Plex for my media server. Try the free trial though and see what you think.

I had it and hardly used it...probably never. Get a Roku and pay $7 Hulu+ and you won't be sorry. Also, find someone who pays for HBO and use their provider login for HBOgo on Roku, I use that all the time.

Also keep in mind that play on uses VLC to transcode everything. Translation: Picture quality is not so good on many things. There are other ways to stream your personal media for free and with no loss in quality. Play on is a great idea, but it just isn't good enough or worth the cost IMO.

I would say its not worth it. Most of the content that works is available on the ROKU, most of the third party apps are horrible and don't work at all. I have been very disappointed, playon has not lived up to the hype.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

I had it and hardly used it...probably never. Get a Roku and pay $7 Hulu+ and you won't be sorry. Also, find someone who pays for HBO and use their provider login for HBOgo on Roku, I use that all the time.

The thing with PlayON/Hulu is that with PlayON you can access the content that is "web only" through your TV since it's basically using your PC and Internet Explorer to push content to your device via DLNA where with the Hulu+ App from HULU only lets you watch TV shows that they approve to watch on TV. Anyways it can't do HD video but playon works for what I need it to do with better quality than my locals and KTLA superstation on DISH.

The thing with PlayON/Hulu is that with PlayON you can access the content that is "web only" through your TV since it's basically using your PC and Internet Explorer to push content to your device via DLNA where with the Hulu+ App from HULU only lets you watch TV shows that they approve to watch on TV. Anyways it can't do HD video but playon works for what I need it to do with better quality than my locals and KTLA superstation on DISH.

I agree. Playon for roku works great for me. And with all the different scripts for playon it"s a whole new game.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)