Interesting Comcast news

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
With the shutdown of Voom likely within the next few days/weeks/months, I took a look at what Comcast has to offer these days for HD enthusiasts. Everyone has read about the Motorola 6412 dual-tuner HD DVR, but I was surprised to see a few new things that are either available or coming soon. Perhaps some other Voomers are also looking into their options at this point, and would find this information useful:

1. Comcast On-Demand in HD. Watch (but not record) movies from the On-Demand library in high definition and in Dolby 5.1. This will be pretty cool if they have a decent selection in their library!

2. Digital simulcast. Throughout 2005, in all service areas, Comcast will start rebroadcasting their analog SD stations (channels lower than 100) in digital format for those who have digital cable. This should really improve the picture quality of these channels and make them competitive with the picture quality of satellite service.

I'm also looking forward to having Sundance, BBC America, VH1 Classic, and some of the Discovery channels (Wings, Times) once again. Aside from Monsters HD, I have to say I won't miss much of the extra Voom HD programming (the Voom originals, TNT HD, and Universal HD are all pretty weak in terms of content, in my opinion).

Voom has been enjoyable. In some ways, I will miss it, but having a dual-tuner, high definition DVR will give me a lot more opportunity to watch HD programming, even if the number of HD channels is smaller (not that much smaller once the mostly-useless "Voom Originals" are subtracted).

Good luck Voomers... may your signals remain strong for months to come... :)

Jeff

I have been a VOOMER for about ten months now, but also use Comcast and got my dual tuner DVR three months ago. INHD1 and INHD2 show better quality programming than most of the VOOM stations ans the DVR is great. It should lessen the pain when VOOM goes away.

Once I got the past my install nightmare at Comcast (which actually didn't surprise me based on their reputation) I can say having a dual tuner HD-DVR was alone worth the switch.

It's the only way I really enjoy anything on TV.
Goodbye commericials and pre-game hype. Bring on the Super Bowl in glorious HD on my timetable!

On-Demand is rapidly expanding and will hopefully start including HD programming as well.

Great if you have comcast in your area. I don't. I have Adelphia. and big looser.

JEFFinINDY said:
2. Digital simulcast. Throughout 2005, in all service areas, Comcast will start rebroadcasting their analog SD stations (channels lower than 100) in digital format for those who have digital cable. This should really improve the picture quality of these channels and make them competitive with the picture quality of satellite service.
Where did you get this info? After VOOM goes dark, I'll be going Comcast/HDDVR also and my main worry is the poor PQ of the analog channels

gutter said:
Great if you have comcast in your area. I don't. I have Adelphia. and big looser.

I thought Adelphia was bankrupt and Comcast was bidding on taking them over?

We do have Comcast here. I'm not impressed with their digital lineup in Richmond, but it will most likely be my choice over E* and D* should Voom discontinue service.

Walter L. said:
Where did you get this info? After VOOM goes dark, I'll be going Comcast/HDDVR also and my main worry is the poor PQ of the analog channels

My step-father recieved a letter today from Comcast about these changes starting on March 3,05.

Attachments

• Comcast.jpg
    Comcast.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 305
Walter L. said:

Search Google for:

Comcast and "Digital Simulcast"

You'll find a lot of interesting reading.

Jeff

i am about to face the comcast install this thursday-i am getting it for the HD locals-to get them, i am being shanghaid into getting basic cable and because the HD isnb't considered digital cable, they won't include their dvr.....pissants!!!

Walter L. said:
After VOOM goes dark, I'll be going Comcast/HDDVR also and my main worry is the poor PQ of the analog channels

I got my install from Comcast today. Right now, I'm recording American Idol and Smallville (both in HD) while I'm watching Something's Gotta Give (also in HD) recorded this afternoon from HBO. So cool.

The picture quality is excellent in the digital range, and ranges from watchable to good in the analog range. The Motorola DCT-6412 DVR is very strong. It's much more TiVO-like than I expected, and about 50 times faster than a TiVO (scrolling the guide, searching, rearranging season passes, etc.). It has no wish lists, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

I give the whole package 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Jeff

JEFFinINDY said:
I got my install from Comcast today. Right now, I'm recording American Idol and Smallville (both in HD) while I'm watching Something's Gotta Give (also in HD) recorded this afternoon from HBO. So cool.

The picture quality is excellent in the digital range, and ranges from watchable to good in the analog range. The Motorola DCT-6412 DVR is very strong. It's much more TiVO-like than I expected, and about 50 times faster than a TiVO (scrolling the guide, searching, rearranging season passes, etc.). It has no wish lists, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

I give the whole package 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Jeff

Jeff,

This thread is very good in describing the issues with the 6412. I love my 6412 too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=464986

This is just bizarre. All of this excitement over comcast is just plain crazy. I have comcast now and aside from the hd dvr, which other cable companies have, they've got nothing.

What I had with Time Warner-
inhd, inhd 2, hdnet, hdnet movies, tnt-hd, espn hd, discovery hd, pbs-hd

What I have with Comcast-
inhd, inhd 2, espn hd, discovery hd, pbs-hd

Plus locals, which TWC gave me more of.

So let's hear it for Comcast, yeahh!

well, comcast came and went-the installer(a pleasent fellow, thank god)determined that i had to have a line buried across the empty lot(which I own) rather than bring it across the roof of my guest house, so sometime next week(AFTER the super bowl), they will be back to install it...

Interesting... I had to have a new line run as well. The guy said my existing line was not good enough (even though I have cable Internet service, and had digital cable with HD before I got Voom last summer). He was able to string a line above ground, and said they'd be back in a few weeks to bury it once the ground thaws out a bit.

I just saw that OnDemand is supposedly going to give non-HBO subs access to the HBO OnDemand viewing starting on Monday Feb 7th for 4 or 5 days.

Calvin&Hobbes said:
This is just bizarre. All of this excitement over comcast is just plain crazy. I have comcast now and aside from the hd dvr, which other cable companies have, they've got nothing.

What I had with Time Warner-
inhd, inhd 2, hdnet, hdnet movies, tnt-hd, espn hd, discovery hd, pbs-hd

What I have with Comcast-
inhd, inhd 2, espn hd, discovery hd, pbs-hd

Plus locals, which TWC gave me more of.

So let's hear it for Comcast, yeahh!

Give us former VOOMERS a break. We could never get even get an HD-DVR from VOOM, so ANY company is an improvement!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts