Interesting Joey Problem

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
I have a HWS and 1 Joey. Lately, the Joey has been pixelating and breaking up while watching shows from the Hopper. On a whim tonight, I unplugged the Coax (I have a wired network). All of the problems went away.

My boxes do the nightly resets and this problem has persisted for days.

It would seem there is a MOCA problem. I don't have the Internet injected, as both the Hopper and Joey go back to the same switch in my closet via Cat 6.

It has not always been this way and nothing has changed with cabling, etc... (until I unplugged the Coax on the Joey tonight).

Any thoughts? I don't mind running it over the network. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this.

Same here, all my Joey's pixelate and freeze up at times. The tech left as soon as he got a picture on the Joey's but never checked to see if they were stable. The MOCA bars on all Joey's are all RED. Luckily I do have Ethernet going to 2 of the 4 Joey's. I'll try your fix and see if it fixes those. As for the other two, I may have to go behind the wall plates to make sure all the coax are not the old style crimp and replace with compression fittings and make sure the barrels are 3gz.

If I can't get those working I may have to put in another service request.

But yes, All of my coax connected Joey's all exhibit pixelating, freezing and audio losses.

All my Coax is RG6 Quad 3 Ghz... I did it when I did the Cat 6. I have had absolutely no problem with the Joey since I unscrewed its Coax connection.

I've ran across this problems a few times in the field lately. After following all trouble shooting steps. Turns out replacing the hopper fixed the problem immediately. Make sure the hopper is in a well ventilated area and is not airflow restricted. Both times the hoppers were in cabinets with tight spaces and doors. This machine really needs to breath as it runs very hot anyway.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Homerun location... The Hopper is in a cabinet, I have it ventilated. I will get it in a cooler location. I don't mind doing it on the Cat 6. It actually seems faster this way.

I recrimped the coax ends... Same problem. Unplug Joey Coax, perfect operation.

I think there is a problem with the MOCA in the Hopper or Joey. I'll just run it over the Cat 6. I doubt they will ever break that, as I expect it to be a supported method eventually. If it does, I can always get another Hopper. I have DHPP.

I'd rather not go through the hassle, as long as I have a workaround.

I'll repeat here the same that I just posted in another thread as I think this is a more relevant thread.

All my Joey's that are connected by cable show a Red MOCA. Only connecting the to Ethernet corrects the pixilation, freezing, etc. I talked to a Dish rep today and he confirmed that Dish knows about it and we may be seeing a Joey push in the next (???) month or so. Same thing, wouldn't commit as to a date for a fix only that a lot of Joey's are seeing the same problem on the MOCA network.

I recrimped the coax ends... Same problem. Unplug Joey Coax, perfect operation.

I think there is a problem with the MOCA in the Hopper or Joey. I'll just run it over the Cat 6. I doubt they will ever break that, as I expect it to be a supported method eventually. If it does, I can always get another Hopper. I have DHPP.

I'd rather not go through the hassle, as long as I have a workaround.

The only real issue I could see with that using Ethernet will slow the rest if your network down some.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'll repeat here the same that I just posted in another thread as I think this is a more relevant thread.

All my Joey's that are connected by cable show a Red MOCA. Only connecting the to Ethernet corrects the pixilation, freezing, etc. I talked to a Dish rep today and he confirmed that Dish knows about it and we may be seeing a Joey push in the next (???) month or so. Same thing, wouldn't commit as to a date for a fix only that a lot of Joey's are seeing the same problem on the MOCA network.

Thanks for that. I have no problems with it the way it is. It really uses very little bandwidth on my network.

Thanks for this, glad to know.

I have the same issue and cable topology as the OP, cditty:
Home run Belden RG6 1694A 4.5GHz with Canare connectors.
If MoCA can't run on this then it can't run anywhere.

Thanks for this, glad to know.

I have the same issue and cable topology as the OP, cditty:
Home run Belden RG6 1694A 4.5GHz with Canare connectors.
If MoCA can't run on this then it can't run anywhere.

It has to be a software bug... I'm still rock solid on my Cat 6. Not one issue. I'm leaving the Coax unhooked until the next update rolls down.

I seem to be having the same issue as you guys with my 3 hopper 3 joey setup. Very intermittent but very aggravating. Hope they come with a fix soon if its a software issue.