Interesting OTA observations at my location

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I've been at my current location a couple years now. I've noticed some interesting trends with my OTA reception here.

My TV fool: TV Fool

April through the end of September, I have to have my RCA ANT751R pointed straight out (how you would normally expect to see an antenna aimed). For October through early April, I have to point the antenna down. Otherwise, I can't receive WDAF and KAJF at all.

I'm about 45 miles from all my towers. So far, the leaves are all still on the trees. Only thing I can figure is that the change in temperature causes the signal pattern to change in the Fall and Winter? WDAF is a million watt station. Why would its signal fluctuate so much when other million watt stations (KCTV) don't fluctuate seasonally at all?

Could there be any other reason for the seasonal change?

IMG_0031.JPG

Last edited:
Thats odd that it works better at times pointed down. Have you considered getting a bigger antenna? Mine is about 6 feet long and after sunset I can get most of the Bay Area stations that are 100 miles away.

Also, I noticed that your antenna cable lying on the roof looks like it has a sharp bend in it. Maybe try a new cable and see if you can run it through a vent in your attic?

Thats odd that it works better at times pointed down. Have you considered getting a bigger antenna? Mine is about 6 feet long and after sunset I can get most of the Bay Area stations that are 100 miles away.

Also, I noticed that your antenna cable lying on the roof looks like it has a sharp bend in it. Maybe try a new cable and see if you can run it through a vent in your attic?
I agree a better antenna might solve your problem. It also looks like you are running a preamp. You really want to capture as much signal as possible with the antenna then amplify only if necessary.

As far as leaves go they may still be on the trees but what is their moisture content, they will dry put before falling?

I agree a better antenna might solve your problem. It also looks like you are running a preamp. You really want to capture as much signal as possible with the antenna then amplify only if necessary.

As far as leaves go they may still be on the trees but what is their moisture content, they will dry put before falling?

I wish I could go without the preamp but at my distance from the towers, I have to have it. I did have an HDB91X antenna from Solid Signal at one point; honestly the signal strengths weren’t much better than what I have with my current smaller antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)