Interesting Video on ATSC 3.0

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It seems safe to assume that with fewer channels to go around, power levels will likely decrease; especially where there are clusters of small markets.

I suppose they can work some things out with sophisticated directional arrays and the like but I'm betting that's expensive to build and operate. The cellular idea seems similarly fraught.

Oh yeah and those uhd broadcast eveyone is so excited about, yeah might be a few but like with the digital transition not many stations broadcast in full hd either, I believe only one in my area ever broadcast in 1080p, sometimes other then that its upconverted 720 stuff.
I've been on about this since the beginning. UHD and >5.1 channel audio are supposed to be among the big draws but I don't see those happening for years after things get rolling (and UHD production efforts at the network level seem to be paralyzingly slow). Without those draws, what's driving a voluntary buy-in by the general public? Many will be bitter that their TV needs an outboard tuner while others will rightly ask "what's in it for me?". Of course this is all after many have had to significantly redo their antenna setup and go through a few re-scans of the band to keep their channels available.

I think the industry is on dope. They appear to think that a voluntary transition is a no-brainer. They must have all been born since the DTV transition.

Not to mention hardware and home improvement stores as well as electronics stores. Best Buy offers some of the Channel Master antennas.
Harshness is correct, you can still to this day buy vhf/uhf antennas right off the shelf in nearly any walmart. I usually take my son on our shoping excursions and we go thru the electronics section while the women shop. Every walmart ive been to has them. However none of the antennas they sell would do anyone in my area much good. You might pick up nbc, cbs and abc, maybe in my area with an antenna from walmart. have also seen vhf/uhf antennas at lowes home depot and menards as well. I currently buy my antennas at the Nearest local radioshack/ham store. That guy carries a wide assortment of tv antennas. His assesment of ATSC 3.0 will mean less receivable stations in my area.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Ok guys. I was focusing on VHF ONLY antennas, not combo antennas.

Typical combo antennas are huge, and in our area we have to have separate antennas (unless you want a rotor motor) to get all the various stations, since they are in all directions.

I've been on about this since the beginning. UHD and >5.1 channel audio are supposed to be among the big draws but I don't see those happening for years after things get rolling (and UHD production efforts at the network level seem to be paralyzingly slow). Without those draws, what's driving a voluntary buy-in by the general public? Many will be bitter that their TV needs an outboard tuner while others will rightly ask "what's in it for me?". Of course this is all after many have had to significantly redo their antenna setup and go through a few re-scans of the band to keep their channels available.

I think the industry is on dope. They appear to think that a voluntary transition is a no-brainer. They must have all been born since the DTV transition.
Most people dont know anything about it, and couple that with the fact a lot of people are cutting the cord and putting up new antennas now that have no idea I can see people getting really peeved. I know it hasnt happened yet but after talking with people that know way more about it then i do seem to think it wont be a good thing. Then you have the younger generation that literally know nothing about OTA. For example my Neice, she was going on about how she could no longer afford dish network, and direct tv was more so she wouldnt have any tv. I offered to put up an older antenna I had and she looked at me like i was nuts. She had absolutely no idea you could get tv with an antenna. Or how about the older generation. I generally take a break at the local coffee gathering spot in the afternoon and I hear how they are having trouble keeping up with the technology just to watch tv.

Ok guys. I was focusing on VHF ONLY antennas, not combo antennas.

Typical combo antennas are huge, and in our area we have to have separate antennas (unless you want a rotor motor) to get all the various stations, since they are in all directions.
well if you are close enough to the signal source you can use omnidirectional antennas. I have seen some that work quite well, but have no idea the actual range of them. IM kinda lucky currently as the signals we receive are far enough away that even though they are spread out the antenna picks them all up since we are far enough away they all fall within the degrees of reception the antenna can receive. If they go back to using vhf, and its a high possibility, then a combo antenna, or as you said 2 separate antennas are required.

I offered to put up an older antenna I had and she looked at me like i was nuts. She had absolutely no idea you could get tv with an antenna.
If you really want to blow her mind, show her a dial telephone. Most youts have only seen images of them in old-timey holiday shows.

I ran into someone the other day that wasn't interested in the radio features of a car stereo. Given the current state of commercial radio, I have to admit that I'm losing interest.

Reactions: osu1991
yeah all of the low power stations will probably go away, ie the ones that have heros and icons, decades, laff, ect.
The bigger issue is that the high power stations will have to share frequencies with stations that aren't so far away and that will force them to "keep it down" to prevent co-channel interference.

The bigger issue is that the high power stations will have to share frequencies with stations that aren't so far away and that will force them to "keep it down" to prevent co-channel interference.

I have no idea why you keep incessantly repeating this no matter how many times you are told it is not true. Preservation of stations' coverage areas and populations served were a requirement of the law authorizing the incentive auction. As such, station's powers are adjusted to reflect changes in specific frequency, but should otherwise maintain coverage.

- Trip

Those "huge" combo antennas are big BECAUSE of the VHF portion. Dropping UHF reception isn't going to make much size difference.

Menards just opened some stores in my area; they carry a decent assortment of OTA antennas as well. Mostly RCA brand. Good prices, too.
Its been my experience nearly everything at menards have decent prices, and if you include the several times the offer 11% instore rebates they blow the doors off of lowes and home depot. They also carry a lot wider selection of just about everything. I buy all my bulk rg6, bulk connectors and various other items there exclusively now.

Its been my experience nearly everything at menards have decent prices, and if you include the several times the offer 11% instore rebates they blow the doors off of lowes and home depot. They also carry a lot wider selection of just about everything. I buy all my bulk rg6, bulk connectors and various other items there exclusively now.

I agree. I love Menard's. They also carry a LOT of hard-to-find TV and electronics accessories. For instance, I just bought a powered 4-port HDMI splitter there for $20 yesterday. Normally, I 'd have to order those on Ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)