Status
Please reply by conversation.

NYRANGERS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Manahawkin, NJ
Good Evening,

I had one quick question on International Channels.

Anyone know why DirecTV doesn't offer Canadian Channels as an International Package? I would happily pay $20 bucks a month for CTV, CBC, RDS, TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, and a few others.

Does it have anything to do with viewership. For example you can watch CTV for a show you would get on one of our national channels here.

Does DirecTV offer these channels if you are close to the border?

Anyone know why DirecTV doesn't offer Canadian Channels as an International Package? I would happily pay $20 bucks a month for CTV, CBC, RDS, TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, and a few others.
CTV & CBC buy shows that are already on your local stations. CTV & GLobal are pretty much "US Nets North" ;)

RDS & TSN are partially owned by ESPN and show stuff from ESPN & Versus & TNT so its kinda moot. Sportsnet is the same way. All 3 of these channels buy programming from sports networks here in the US and rebroadcast them. Sportsnet has Sunday Night Baseball from ESPN and other baseball games from the various FSN's

Does DirecTV offer these channels if you are close to the border?
no. They are not allowed to broadcast them at all. Some border towns on cable can get CBC and even CTV but that is about it

Canadian networks would be good for Minor League and Junior Hockey, as well as Canadian College football (CIS), and Curling, The rest of the stuff would probably get blacked out

Just to add to that, the "Made in Canada" content that is on CBC, CTV and Global was packaged as the original format of the "Trio" channel, which was on DirecTV. It presented several good dramas including "North of 60" and "Black Harbour". Thoughtful shows. The channel changed hands and was morphed into a stupid "pop culture" format and then was taken down in favor of Sleuth.

Further the US rights to the CBC's all news channel, CBC Newsworld, was bought by global warming huckster algore and taken down in favor of his "current' channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)