Internationals Mirror from 118 to 61.5

Well, encoding technology today can provide for 4K via even modest download rate via internet, and the encoding tech in the future will improve so that 4K could be sent even via DBS sat efficiently, and new encoders are chump change for Dish and DirecTV, BUT, the real hard pill to swallow is that it will require hardware swap-outs of existing STB's at a big cost to Dish and DirecTV, and this may push DBS services further to the on-line delivery train. However, unless some of the content is allowed to be cached at the ISP so that everyone (larger numbers of users than today) doesn't try to pull down the same movie or TV show at the same time clogging up the backbone with identical requests, even the on-line streaming trend can hit bad bumps. Oh, and the data-caps issue, as well.

However, I do believe that the DBS services will still have satellites, but they may be used far differently than today. DirecTV and Dish could use sats to download the most popular requests efficiently and far faster than via internet with some services still part of a continuous digital stream as today. A good example of how this might work is DirecTV's Genie Start Over feature that while watching a sat channel, will grab the content you are watching from an on-line source and stream it from the beginning. Of course, there are limitations to the current DirecTV implementation, but that can be fixed in the near future. DBS Dish and DirecTV will probably turn into hybrid sat and on-line service.

Local ISP Caching would quickly become a nightmare for providers, unless there are cache pods like how the newsgroups have but they too just figure out routing. With these days of cloud bandwidth pricing, it should be possible.

On another note I believe the current receivers are software updatable if it requires a simple codec change. Unless the fundamental 8psk module changes.

In UAE, the cable content providers have all gone IP. They run a dedicated fiber optic cable to home which provides internet and cable TV. During the old days, they used to provide a dedicated copper cable to everyone’s house for DSL. Much more elaborate implementation there.

don't have any reference. Made this comment because of the advancements in the receivers now relying more on software codec's. I may be wrong though.
As I understood the the Broadcom tech for the 4K stream, they require a powerful chip. I beleive only the Roku 3 can support 4K (or at least only the latest Roku's). Also, one can only imagine DBS adopting h.265 for 4K as it is far more efficient than h.264 which would require too much bandwidth. Now, it may be possible that the Hoppers, or more likely the HWS, may have sufficient processing power to allow for a simple firmware update, but I would be surprised if the ViP's could ever process h.265 because they were designed so long ago. So, that puts the cost back to DBS for 4K, or just make 4K available to Hopper users only, provided the Hopper can handle h.265 or Broadcom's solution or VP9 or whatever Dish and DirecTV decide for their 4K content, and I do believe they will offer at least some 4K content down the road, or at least DirecTV has made more firm commitment to it, but Dish can't just NOT be competitive, although I can imagine Charlie saying, "What? Again? We just got through the whole HD upgrade. Now we gotta do 4K?"

Local ISP Caching would quickly become a nightmare for providers, unless there are cache pods like how the newsgroups have but they too just figure out routing. With these days of cloud bandwidth pricing, it should be possible.

On another note I believe the current receivers are software updatable if it requires a simple codec change. Unless the fundamental 8psk module changes.

In UAE, the cable content providers have all gone IP. They run a dedicated fiber optic cable to home which provides internet and cable TV. During the old days, they used to provide a dedicated copper cable to everyone’s house for DSL. Much more elaborate implementation there.

Not really, as I believe ISP's are supposed to be doing it now as per convention, but Hollywood may not like it, so Netflix and the ISP's don't do it for Netflix, or Amazon, etc. But the real point is that the ISP's don't need to cache all or most of the content, just caching a few of the most popular movies, those movies that are just released and we know are HOT, or a few of the latest episodes House of Cards, we're talking less than 5 movies to start, maybe just shy of 10 times, and that could clear up a lot of the congestion many experience today since Netflix alone is really the one entity that has just inundated the backbone and edge routers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)