Internationals Moving 2/23

Won't change..

You will continue getting those (russian one and israeli one) at 61.5, .. same as presently...

Does anyone have a possible timeline on when all the international channels will be gone from the 121 satellite? And, if I were to call Dish to talk to them about this and about possibly trying to schedule a 61.5 install would they even know what I'm talking about?

We subscribe to the French and Italian channels, this was one of the main reasons we went to Dish...

jk- said:
Does anyone have a possible timeline on when all the international channels will be gone from the 121 satellite? And, if I were to call Dish to talk to them about this and about possibly trying to schedule a 61.5 install would they even know what I'm talking about?

We subscribe to the French and Italian channels, this was one of the main reasons we went to Dish...
if you live in one of the markets that have locals on 61.5..i would go that route instead because it is a free install

With so much FTA Arabic language programming up there I'm not sure I understand the value in going with Dish anyway. One time up-front charge for equipment or a smaller up-front cost and long term subscription. I know which one I would choose, but I like to avoid recurring charges as often as possible.

Last count there are around 22 Arabic FTA TV channels and more than 20 Arabic FTA Radio channels on IA5 (97W) alone.

The non-FTA Arabic Channels on 61.5 are all different except for Abu Dhabi and Kuwait (available FTA on IA5 as well).

I think there are around 1-2 million Arabic households in the USA.

Is there a significant difference in the programming between the paid services and the FTA ones? I have a friend from Lebanon who may be interested in checking out what's up there.

The pay service include Al Jazeera news channel which is a major attraction to all subscribing customers and it is not available FTA in NA. Also, ART Movies carries mostly classical old movies. LBC and Future TV are also popular with the Lebanese American community. Otherwise, progamming are mostly the same.

On FTA you get Al Alam news channel and all of the government channels from the ME.

Since the channels are mostly different, most customers prefer both services.

Wow, that many channels, and mostly different programming!
I was wondering how much overlap there was. Apparently not so much.

Sounds like all the middle Easterners should sign up for both.

edit: and maybe a good opportunity for all the dealers and installers to sell them both! ;)

Last edited:
I am finding we have a decent-sized Lebanese community here in Moreno Valley. That probably explains why there are so many 30" FTA dishes popping up. They all seem to be pointed in one direction though. Is there any one satellite that carries most of the Arabic language programming?

Kenny911, i know what you mean. But in November we were able to take advantage of the $50 SuperDish Upgrade offered by 800.333.DISH. that was all it cost and that included professional installation by an 'in-house' Dishnetwork installer.

The German Language Package is very worth it. The big ol' SuperDish isn't too bad either. it holds up in wind and rain. although, a few times we have momentarily lost the signal.

The perdicament now is i want to move to my own apt and get my ProSiebenSat1 Welt there. I'd have to pay $149, but that'd include everything (like installation) And I wouldn't be required to order any additional programming besides my German Language Package. It is tempting...

But i'm putting-off my move until the German Int'ls move to a regular dish.

ps- Even at the time of the SuperDish installation, the installer mentioned the idea of the internationals moving to a 'regular dish'.