Internet connection on bluray players

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I went to best buy and got a Sony bluray player w/ wifi....long story short, connects to wireless router, but no internet. Everything else connects ok, i.e., laptop, roku, etc.

I took it back to b.b. and exchanged it w/ an LG player....same problem....no internet connection. I took it back as well. Am I missing something...besides having a bluray player that will see the

internet? Why won't it connect when everything else does?

Maybe try unplugging your router and plugging it back in. Every once in a while I get weird issues with mine where my iPhone wont get internet from my router when I get back home even though it says it is connected to wifi while other devices that stay in the home are working correctly. Resetting the router has always fixed it for me.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Maybe try unplugging your router and plugging it back in. Every once in a while I get weird issues with mine where my iPhone wont get internet from my router when I get back home even though it says it is connected to wifi while other devices that stay in the home are working correctly. Resetting the router has always fixed it for me.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I did both of those things....I called the tech support # for LG, and he told me to do the same thing you did, which I did before I called. The reason I got the bluray was to get Youtube, which my roku won't get....I don't have a smart phone, so that option is out. I really just wish that roku could get Youtube. I don't know why every other streaming player has youtube except roku. I guess I'll just have to view it on my laptop.

It may just be a Blu-Ray thing. We have a Samsung Blu-Ray player & the internet stuff loads painfully slow & sometimes not at all.
We also have a Roku, a Tivo, and a Wii which all load their internet apps quickly.
The wierd thing about this is the Blu-Ray is the only one on wired ethernet, & the other devices are on Wi-Fi.

It may just be a Blu-Ray thing. We have a Samsung Blu-Ray player & the internet stuff loads painfully slow & sometimes not at all.
We also have a Roku, a Tivo, and a Wii which all load their internet apps quickly.
The wierd thing about this is the Blu-Ray is the only one on wired ethernet, & the other devices are on Wi-Fi.

I got my parents a Samsung bluray player w/ wifi last christmas. They have dsl internet, which is slower than cable, but better than satellite internet. The thing is agonizingly slow. I decided to bring my roku to their house and see if it was any faster. It was much faster, and seemed to have better connection. The samsung bluray player also seemed to lack sufficient memory to run the apps....I think this is the main problem as per the sluggishness of bluray players, or at least the samsung players.

I have a 2 year old Sony BDP-S480 3D blu-ray player, with tons of apps. It's hooked hard-wire to my internet, but it's fast on everything, including the 3D channel.

If yours connects to your router but has no internet, that's a Gateway problem in it's configuration. Check your router to make sure it's capable of handing out enough IP addresses, and that you don't have it so low, and so many devices, that it's maxed out.

I have a 2 year old Sony BDP-S480 3D blu-ray player, with tons of apps. It's hooked hard-wire to my internet, but it's fast on everything, including the 3D channel.

If yours connects to your router but has no internet, that's a Gateway problem in it's configuration. Check your router to make sure it's capable of handing out enough IP addresses, and that you don't have it so low, and so many devices, that it's maxed out.

I checked the devices....it's giving me 50 ip addresses. With computers, wii, printer, roku, house thermostat, I count 8 devices using the router. That shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that I found that was out of the ordinary was that the router didn't have encryption....not sure how that happened, but I fixed it. Would that have prevented internet connection? I would think that anything would connect to an open router, but maybe they are designed to connect with encrypted routers to prevent theft of bandwidth from a neighbor's wifi.....just throwing out a guess.

I just realized that maybe with the unencrypted router, others near by could have been tapping the router which would have used up more ip addresses....I think I'll have to try this again....later. Thanks for everyone's input.
l

I just realized that maybe with the unencrypted router, others near by could have been tapping the router which would have used up more ip addresses....I think I'll have to try this again....later. Thanks for everyone's input.
l
Always put a password on your wifi. You never know who could be connecting or what they're doing once they do (torrenting, monitoring your traffic, illegal activities).

There should be an IP address to access its settings. You can set your password there, and maybe see every device that's connected. I can log in and view all of our devices along with their IP addresses.

Routers also typically have LOGGING turned on. So, if yours has a running log, you should be able to log in, look at the log going back some time, and see if you can find connected devices that are NOT yours. Then you'd know for sure. People could have connected accidentally without expressly trying to connect because that's just the nature of Windows. It roams all the time seeking a better wireless connection and will auto-connect to whatever it can.

Also change the default log-in password to your router to something only YOU know. There are available on the internet, lists of ALL default router passwords. Unscrupulous people could use that to log into your router, and change things to their benefit..

Well, I finally got YT on my Roku through the Plex channel and media server app.....I'm glad there are some smarter people in the world than me! Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find an ethernet connection on a blu-ray player that's higher than 10mb/s. Does anyone know of such an animal? I'm talking wired, not wireless, and am looking for 100mb/s. I've never been able to find one. I want to stream from my pc to my tv via the blu-ray player as my tv doesn't have any kind of ethernet connectivity or wi-fi. Presently, the blu-ray player I'm using for my htpc does just fine for Netflix and Amazon at 10mb/s, but not so well with a networked hard drive. I need a bigger data pipe...and while the switch I have will do 10/100/1000, it indicates that the blu-ray player is a 10mb/s connection...

Astounding. Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) has been standard since long before Bluray players were invented. In fact, I thought the standard was GigE by then. I'm also surprised you can stream video over a 10Mbps connection. Are you sure about which component is running so slowly?

Astounding. Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) has been standard since long before Bluray players were invented. In fact, I thought the standard was GigE by then. I'm also surprised you can stream video over a 10Mbps connection. Are you sure about which component is running so slowly?
Oh, I can stream over the 10Mbps connection, just not as well as I'd like to be able to. Some elements of video (bright scenes, fast action or a lot of moving elements in a scene), hit the bandwidth ceiling and the stream from my drive starts stuttering through the bright or complex portion of the scene. When I connect the drive directly to the blu-ray player via the USB 2.0 port on the player, everything plays just fine. It's just a real pain to have to move the drive back and forth. So, 480Mbps USB 2.0 bandwidth is obviously more than ample, whereas the 10Mbps via the ethernet port isn't... Fast Ethernet may have been the standard, but I don't think a lot of companies built it into the circuit boards of their blu-ray players... So, Handbreak became the tool I use to limit the bandwidth to a max of about 7.65Mbps in order to enable the video files to stream smoothly without stuttering during high-bandwidth scenes. It tends to crunch the resolution a bit, but it works. That's why I posted in here...to see if anyone has found a way around this kind of issue?

I gave up on Roku, Apple TV, and some others. Now have a not so popular WDTV and love it. Because it allows YT 3D to work while some others did not. YT interface is the easiest of all except using a PC. I agree you must encrypt your wifi. If not you are open to all sorts of hackers. Only exception I can see to this is if you live out in the middle of nowhere where the nearest neighbor is 10 miles away and your main road is a mile away. :)

This is the model I have but there are newer versions out now.
Amazon product ASIN B00FHREVBK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)