Internet Connection Speed Slow after OS re-install

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Okay this is driving me a little crazy and I know it shouldn't.

But since I reinstalled Windows Vista on my desktop PC a few weeks ago my internet speed has gone considerably slower than before. I'm using an Ethernet cable with an AT&T router. I used to get around 2.55 mbps. Now I only get like 1 mbps something. I've been trying to think of what could fix it or what's causing this slow down but nothing's worked.

Anybody have any idea of what could be causing this slow down and how I can fix it so I can get the speed I was getting before?

Perhaps your network driver needs updating. It is possible that vista install put a generic driver in place and one from the manufacturer would do better.

Perhaps your network driver needs updating. It is possible that vista install put a generic driver in place and one from the manufacturer would do better.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I got an Xbox 360 relatively recently. Do you think that could have something to do with it?

I also use it as an extender. But I use speedtest.net when the Xbox is off so both Xbox Live and the extender capability, I assume, aren't running so I don't see how it could affect it.

It could be AT&T is affected by all the botnet activity that Wikileaks has spawned. I know that my AT&T DSL has been all over the map as far as response time and download speeds lately.

It could be AT&T is affected by all the botnet activity that Wikileaks has spawned. I know that my AT&T DSL has been all over the map as far as response time and download speeds lately.

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Anyways, I called AT&T and they pretty much said they're fazing out all the old DSL routers and had me switch to a UVerse router which they're sending me this week so I hope that was the problem but we'll see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)