Internet Connection

blackcat1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Springfield Missouri
I currently have DirecTV and am thinking about getting Dish with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. What are the options to connect the internet to the Hopper / Joey system? I plan on having the Hopper located in my family room and the joey located in my master bedroom. My U-Verse gateway/router is located in my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] bedroom. There is an unused coax cable that is run from the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] bedroom next to the gateway/router to the dish. I have a coax cable from the TV in my family room to the dish and I have a coax cable from my master bedroom to the dish. Could I use the coax cable in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] bedroom to provide internet to the Hopper/Joey system by connected one end of the coax to the gateway and the other end to the node outside? If you are not totally confused, any comments would be appreciated.

You have a few options to connect the Hopper to the Internet.
1. Direct ethernet cable to the Hopper and then the Hopper will share the connection with the Joey
2. Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) The HIC is normally used when the router is too far from the Hopper to connect directly. The HIC has a coax input and a coax output and it goes in-line between Hopper and Joey and it has an Ethernet input. So you could hook an Ethernet cable to the HIC and that will feed the Hopper and Joey with Internet.
3. Wifi Adapter - The Wifi adapter would connect to the Hopper and connect to your wireless network and the Hopper would share that connection with the Joey.

Connecting a coax cable between your gateway and the Node would not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts