Internet Drop Out

kingsman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I use a RCA DCM315R Cable Modem. When an internet dropout occurs, I must physically disconnect the power to the modem to get back DNS.

The modem lights are flashing normally but I have no bandwidth.

Very aggravating and inconvenient as you can imagine.

The question is, would it help if I used another modem?

I called Cox and they queried my modem and said it was doing a great job. I swapped out my Linksys WRT54G router but that made no difference.

Everything can run perfectly for days on end, and then bang, I lose bandwidth and it won't reconnect on its own no matter how long I wait.

I'm wondering if there is something coming down Cox's line that is whacking my modem? Or, if they are deliberately trying to get me to reconnect because I peaked some bandwidth consumption meter.

I used to have BellSouth DSL and there was a KEEP ALIVE setting in the router for PPOA but this doesn't seem to be available in the cable settings?

I checked for a bios update for the modem but found nothing available.

Any help or ideas on what to try would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

I have experienced some drop outs with Cox's internet durning late evening hours. Its nothing wrong with your equipment, its a Cox problem. Usually when I have a drop out the middle light on my modem, Toshiba , goes out and or blinks. This means that the Cox signal is very low or a problem. Might be that the Cox server is getting overloaded with people coming online. The drop outs happens very little to me.

Thanks for the comeback. I been online since the days of the 300 baud modems so I can appreciate the ups and downs that are involved with online communications. I've had DSL since 2001 but just been with Cox internet since February. Many similarities but a few differences. When things are clicking along the first and third lines are steady on the RCA modem while the second and fourth are blinking in tandum. When I lost DNS on the old DSL modem, the DSL line would go out as you are describing happens on your cable modem. However, when I lose DNS with Cox, the modem looks like it is working normally with the same light pattern but I cannot get DNS back unless I unplug the power from the modem forcing it to reset.

It would seem like one of the lights would go out on the modem if I lost the signal but it makes no sense that the second and fourth light are blinking normally yet I have no bandwidth. I just wish there was something I could do to detect this condition and to force a reset with software automatically to get the stream flowing again without having to force a manual reset.

It's got me pulling my hair out but not getting anywhere. :confused:

The bottom light of mine blinks normal when the cable signal is off because my router is communicating with it. If you don't have a router than its probrably communication with your computer system. Does the 4th light stop when you unplug the ethernet cable to your computer??

Normally Internet and Cable Link lights are steady while PC Link and Cable Activity are blinking in tandum.

And, I'm also hooked to a router (Linksys WRT54G) and if I disconnect the router, the PC Link light goes out.

The problem is that even when I have no DNS or bandwidth, the Internet light does go out and the PC Link and Cable Activity lights keep blinking like everything is normal.

That just doesn't make any sense and is the thing that drives me nuts. :confused:

Cheers,
Tony

Do you by chance have your IP hard coded? I had similar issues when I would hard code my IP.

If you are just losing DNS you could hard-code the Cox DNS servers on your router. So long as you have IP connectivity you're golden.

I just upgraded to the Cox Premier Internet service (9.0 /1.0) and my old Toshiba 1100U was giving me spuratic downlink speeds and 768 or so on the uplink.

I pickup up a Linksys BEFCMU10 v3.0 cable modem (mostly because it matches my router) and I noticed a marked improvement in performance.

Attached is a screen grab of the speed test at DSL reports :cool:

Last edited:
FYI I had the exact same problem as you. It was the cable modem. It got worse as time went on. I replaced it and have never had a problem since.

Now that's smokin'!

Shawn95GT said:
I just upgraded to the Cox Premier Internet service (9.0 /1.0) and my old Toshiba 1100U was giving me spuratic downlink speeds and 768 or so on the uplink.

I pickup up a Linksys BEFCMU10 v3.0 cable modem (mostly because it matches my router) and I noticed a marked improvement in performance.

Attached is a screen grab of the speed test at DSL reports :cool:

How much does Cox charge for their premier service (if you have TV service too)? Not that I'm in a Cox area...(they do overlap with Comcast in DC's Virginia suburbs though) just want to compare with Comcast $52.95 for 8mbps/768kbps. Thanks!
Wayne

Fast

I saw on the Cox website that the premier plan in Fairfax VA offers speeds of up to 15mbps down and 2 mbps up (like the Verizon FIOS middle tier) for $54.95/month (5 dollars more than FIOS). I wish FIOS would get to Baltimore faster (or that Comcast would match the speed)(but they won't probably do it until they have to).
Wayne