Please reply by conversation.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
Is an Internet connection required for a Genie/Mini Genie in order to have service work properly?
The reason I ask is I have a neighbor that just moved in next door to me.
They cannot get DSL right now (probably until mid November) because CenturyLink's DSLAM in our area is exhausted at the moment, they will supposedly have it fixed in Nov sometime.
Anyway, my neighbor has been told that they must have an Internet connection for a Genie/Mini Genie to work by someone from DirecTV.
I used to have a Genie and a few HR24's but never a Genie Mini and mine was Internet connected (I am with Dish now) and I didn't know if this was the case or not.

Nope, I hook up customers all the time without Internet. It is preferred if they are going to have Internet for it to be installed prior to the DTV install but not required. Most installs are getting the HR44 genie which has wireless built in and usually comes with a leave behind instructing the customer how to connect the built in wifi.

I thought that everything but on demand would work but wanted to check before I told them. Thanks

And without the Internet connection you will not be able to restart shows which are already in progress (for the certain shows which are applicable)

Coax is all it needs for Genie Mini's, internet is optional for VOD,TV Apps,Youtube,Pandora
They'll need to link the Mini clients to the Genie server itself for it to work, Although I personally would rather have HD receivers or DVR's, because the Mini clients won't work if the Genie fails or gets disconnected somehow, While other non Mini receivers would continue to work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)