Internet Speed Problem - Phone company says it's on my end

Nvidia does have its hands in alot of pc componants these days since its chips are being used more and more throughout the industry. The chipsets are now found on motherboards and Ive heard on sound cards as well.

nvidia nforce networking controller - Google Search

Just a simple google brought up the above results so the company does have its hands in network area's as well.

I have nothing but problems using Nvidia nforce nics. If you have the open space disable the onboard and install a Intel pro1000 pci/pcie card and get top level speed from networks. Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter - Network adapter - PCI Express x1 -…

I see XP drivers for your system at the Acer site. I think you need to put those thoughts behind you. It's human nature to sometimes get fixated on the forest and not see the trees.

The driver configurations are different for every NIC manufacturer out there. I guess Nvidia has theirs locked down pretty tight. I'm sorry you don't see the same choices I see with mine.

If you have a friend or relative that has a laptop you could connect hard wired, I think it would be interesting to see what kind of speeds you get out of it. I suggest a laptop because it's easily transportable. It would be far easier than hauling the components of a desktop computer into your house. This would be a test of your modem and your ISP's infrastructure. I want to very emphatically stress the importance of hard-wiring directly to your modem. A wireless signal by it's very nature is potentially too unreliable to get an accurate assesment of what's going on. If you’re seeing slow speeds on another computer, I’d be on the phone with them demanding they fix their problem.

I like the advice from nsaspook. NIC's are cheap, but I would rather see you work the problem from the beginning. You've replaced the wiring (the middle), you've been messing around with the computer (the end). Make the assumption that your ISP is not blowing smoke up your behind and attach a laptop hard wired directly to your modem (the beginning). If you're still seeing slow speeds, jump on them big time. They pick the path of least resistance. It costs them money to fix problems.

If your problem still exists, then an NIC card may be your best next step. The card nsaspook linked to is for a PCIe slot. You’ll want to make sure that you have that kind of slot available. Your computer may have only the older PCI slot available. Make sure you get what you need for your system before dropping the money on it.

My computer has no slots available lol... its almost like a laptop case on a pc. Great if you want a small pc, bad if you plan on upgrading. I am taking my work laptop home with me tonight so I can test that.

There are XP drivers on the acer site but not for everything. For example the broadcom wireless card driver is vista only and fails when I tried to install it on XP. Same with some other hardware parts.

The reason I tend to blame the ISP is because they've throttled my bandwidth before. Once they turned it off and said I downloaded Harry Potter V and that was illegal... normally I'd say "oh... my bad" except that it was the hd version of the trailer before the film was even in theaters. Since then if they see me downloading they assume I'm breaking the law and shut me down. This time appears to have been a fluke with the wiring being bad but after testing it a bit more I'm going to find out if it's a combination problem or not. I also have a DSL tech coming out Friday to prove me wrong that it something on my end.

Your ISP police's what you download? Man, I'd be looking for another ISP. What a joke. I'd probably be in prison by now if my ISP did that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts