Invalid GI 920 - How useful??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I have a GI 920 and have downloaded the manual that is in that section of this site. However, it is a Viewer Manual. Nothing on setting up the receiver. No info on how to delete old setting, like antenna limits.

Right now this box is at 5000 both east and west. I've searched all the onscreen menus and can't find anything. My attempt to change those number seem to fail.

Please tell me how or what am I missing.

Steve:(

The 4DTV?

You can use the 922 manual that is posted in the manuals section...that has the install guide too

I was given a GI 920 that has a dead battery and invalid Unit ID (verified). I'm told it is only good for a Dish Mover (or door stop) and I have tested it and it does do all the dish movements, click counts, limit setting, skew control and fine tuning, etc.. It even will show the signal strength and quality with the strength is over 90 or so.

However, I have never seen any actual analog video on the screen. Should I be able to see anything or am I being overly optimistic??:rolleyes:

Just something about the display and menu system on the 920 and 922 (gives me hope).

Basicly I'm asking: What exactly can I get out of this "invalid" box? How dead is dead?

If it can only be use to move and tune the dish, then there are other boxes better suited to do this and still give me a analog picture.

Just thought I would toss this question out there.:confused:

Steve

That is what I was hoping for. Nice piece of equipment. Too bad they were built to fail after the lithium battery fails.

Just what is "ZK Digicipher"??

Thanks for the reply

Steve

ZK is zero key.....the equivalent of in the clear. Any receiver can pick it up.
Then there is FK which is fixed key which you get free as long as you sub to something

My 905 is the same way and cant sub to anything. I get a few freebies on C-Band (mainly audio) and Oklahoma PBS on AMC5 79W (called K5 in the receiver)

Videociphers with dead batteries will get Fixed key MP. The digiciphers equivalent is Zero Key. I don't think the DC's will get FP with a dead batt. The other mode your talking about ICE is U (Universal) this needs an active sub. FP on a good batt and subed before should show up without a current sub.

Thanks. Something new (for me).

I'm beginning to get use to the 920 (as is). I think the reason I didn't appreciate it, first off, was the fault of a bad/intermitant remote control. Since I had a couple extra SideCar remotes, that problem went away.

I'll keep playing with it.

BTW, after I started programing some satellites, I discovered I could set the E/W limits. I still haven't been able to get my South Sat for some reason. I'm shooting for G5 or G0 (old designations) (I think?? I'm going by their orbit location 125 and 127, etc..) The pre-programed Sats out dated and I have to convert for some tables.

Just grumbling out load. Not quite a Rant!

Steve

One word of caution, Put it on a UPS powersupply because a 4DTV with a dead battery will loose ALL your satellites you worked hard to find and program into it so if the power goes out or the unit gets unplugged you have to reprogram it.

Good Idea Bobby. I have already noticed this when I powered up yesterday morning. I had lost my limits setting and the couple sat that I had programed in. Not a big deal but I wouldn't want to have that happen later on.

I'm thinking it would be cheaper and more practical to replace the battery. I have read the procedure and I think I can handle that.

Thank to all..

Steve

Good Idea Bobby. I have already noticed this when I powered up yesterday morning. I had lost my limits setting and the couple sat that I had programed in. Not a big deal but I wouldn't want to have that happen later on.

I'm thinking it would be cheaper and more practical to replace the battery. I have read the procedure and I think I can handle that.

Thank to all..

Steve

Replaceing the battery on a dead unit will do you no good as the unit ID is corrupted. You will need to replace the motherboard. Do a search for ATS electronics they are the authorized dealer and have the parts to do the swap out.

Yes, replacing a battery won't give you a valid ID number, but it will keep all programmed satellites in memory after loss of power. It only cost me 8 dollars for the battery and replaced it myself. I left the VC II cage out of mine, unit is lighter and runs cooler.

GI now Motorola use a battery for two reasons.

1) If you mess with the board to pirate it it's easier to get destroyed.

2) They want it to die so they can sell you repairs or a new one.

This started with the VC-2.

Invalid ID

The invalid ID isn't the main problem, it is just the indicator of a loss of all information stored in Volital Memory. This includes the portion of the operating system having to do with 4DTV. I would assume the operating system that still functions- analog system- is in non-volital memory.. I suspect the volital memory is Read/Write since it also stores the user set information and also the 4DTV operating system that will require frequent updates by the service provider. (Much like the FTA receivers.)

If we wait about another 5-10 years, the current FTA receivers will be dieing because of dead batteries.

When comparing this situation with the TRS-80. The TRS-80 operating system was stored in ROM or EPROM (both NV memory) and was written into these chips by a the manufacturer. If they wanted to update or modify the op system, you had to purchase an new chip or have an EPOM erased and re-programed by a -acker.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)