invert sg-2100

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghia

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
I have been searching looking for past posts on inverting or mounting a sg-2100 motor upside down. I thought this topic came up a couple of years ago. I know the elveation mark will be wrong when doing this, and somehow the motor will need to be modified to move in the opposite direction. That is what I was hoping to find info on. I guess I will just have to take the motor apart and start tinkering. Anyone remember this topic or have any info for me?

Anyone know if I could just specify My Latitude as south instead of north in the receiver to get this to work? I might have to give a try this evening.

edit:
I changed the lat setting in USALS to South and the motor moved the opposite direction, so that problem is solved. Don't know why I did think of that to start with.

Last edited:
could use some brainstorming

That's an interesting idea , now that you mention it.

I've never seen a thread on the subject, which was pro-invert.
Doesn't mean it cannot be done.

I'd worry first about the bearings and if they can handle the job.
Next, I'd worry about water coming into the unit since the post and connectors point up.

Handling the inverted bracket and markings should be no more than just giving it a good "think"

. . . and if you are going to do that, maybe what you want to do is tell the receiver that you are 34º South, not North Latitude.

This is all withOUT opening the unit . . . which I doubt would be helpful . . . :confused:

By the way, why would you want to invert the motor?
I can think of some possible reasons, but what is yours?

edit: looks like you thought of the same idea while I was still typing.

Practical reason is to gain a bit more clearance for a larger dish to be mounted, without having to get a longer pole for the mount, or getting a new mount and putting more holes in the roof. I'm very limited as to areas I can mount the dish as I have a zero lot line property and the neighbors roof requires me to have my set up high on my roof. I bought a couple of the $50 3abn dishes at the end of last month because it seemed like to good a deal to pass up. The new dish is taller than the current one I have set up on the motor, a patriot 85cm which barely clears the peak of my roof when motoring to the far east or west. It also has an HH mount instead of the type mount the 3abn dish has.

The other reason was just to see if it would work. I have a few days off to play with the fta stuff. I had not thought of the bearings in the motor giving out. That is a good point. The initial reason for opening the motor was to see if I could flip something around or maybe just reverse the polarity of the motor to change the movement direction. Plus since you mentioned the bearings I could have a look to see what the situation with that would be.

Originally I planned on getting a stab 100 or 120 for this dish, not realizing the dish bracket would only accept the small 40mm tube.

101 ways to skin a cat . . .

If the motor bracket will clamp onto a larger diameter than your current pole, could you slide a sleeve over the existing pole?
Maybe a piece of pipe, or get creative . . .
Maybe secure it with a couple of through-bolts?
And of course, it would stick up taller than the existing pole, to give you that clearance...

I've read a myriad of cool threads here, on making light-weight mounts to swing heavy Primestar dishes on wimpy 2100's.
One thing I notice that some builders overlook, is how high up to put the dish.
Some run into a problem of clearance, but it seems that if you sort of managed to get the dish over the motor (higher, perhaps) the balance would be better for less stress on the motor bearings.
That's what I thought you were angling to do.
Lot of motorized pictures make ya wonder how that pole stays upright with the weight of the motor -and- dish hanging off one side. ;)
Originally I planned on getting a stab 100 or 120 for this dish, not realizing the dish bracket would only accept the small 40mm tube.
You are saying those inverted motors have a shaft too big for your dish?
...hrmmm..... well the cost of a 100 or 120 is significant, so while we could make 'em work, I like your idea to look for a more inventive solution. - :up

Modifying the existing mount on the dish is still a possibility, too.
Okay, 102 . . . :)

more thoughts

If the motor bracket will clamp onto a larger diameter than your current pole, could you slide a sleeve over the existing pole?
Maybe a piece of pipe, or get creative . . .
Maybe secure it with a couple of through-bolts?
And of course, it would stick up taller than the existing pole, to give you that clearance...

Yes, this would be an option, I had thought of it but I didn't know how stable it would be.

I've read a myriad of cool threads here, on making light-weight mounts to swing heavy Primestar dishes on wimpy 2100's.
One thing I notice that some builders overlook, is how high up to put the dish.
Some run into a problem of clearance, but it seems that if you sort of managed to get the dish over the motor (higher, perhaps) the balance would be better for less stress on the motor bearings.
That's what I thought you were angling to do.
Lot of motorized pictures make ya wonder how that pole stays upright with the weight of the motor -and- dish hanging off one side. ;)
You are saying those inverted motors have a shaft too big for your dish?
...hrmmm..... well the cost of a 100 or 120 is significant, so while we could make 'em work, I like your idea to look for a more inventive solution. - :up

Yes, I looked at the specs tonight and it looks like the 3ABN 90cm dish specs a 1 5/8" (42mm) pole or motor shaft, while the STAB 100 and 120 motors have a shaft of 2 1/8 inch (54mm) If I could make it work I would prefer this option, I would not mind the cost of the motor, but I have time to play around with this now, not sure when I could get around to it if I had to order and wait for the shipping etc.

Modifying the existing mount on the dish is still a possibility, too.
Okay, 102 . . . :)

Maybe this route deserves more thought.

Not really sure how much of an upgrade this will be as the dimension of the old dish are aproximate:
35.5 in (90 cm) wide x 29.5 (75 cm) tall

New dish = :

32 in (81 cm) wide x 36 in (91.5 cm tall)

I didn't actually measure these just took the specs from online documentation.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)