Moteck SG-2100 satellite motor settings

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ILoveSats

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
America
Would someone mind helping me understand the next step to perform after a Moteck SG-2100 satellite motor has been mounted properly to a pole cemented in the ground and the satellite dish has been attached.

I'm reading two different set of instructions and need help on which direction to go.

Apparently, the next step to perform after everything in mounted to the pole is to aim the dish true south. This is where I'm confused. I'm reading two different ways to go about this.

1. One set of instructions tells the user to open the dishpointer app and guess which satellite is in the middle of the satellite arc over your area. Then base calculations you need for the motor and the dish off of it.

2. The second set of instructions I have read says to first determine where TRUE SOUTH is and then point the dish in that direction.

I'm leaning to believe that option # 2 is the better way to go. Is this correct?

At dishpointer.com, I can select under 'Motorized Systems' the Moteck SG2100. Also available under this option is the option for TRUE SOUTH / TRUE NORTH. I checked both options and both yielded the same exact info:

Latitude: 41.6120°
Longitude: -73.7934°
Satellite: Moteck SG2100
Elevation: 41.9°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 193.0°

Latitude: 41.6120°
Longitude: -73.7934°
Satellite: True South / True North
Elevation: 41.9°

Other info
Satellite Data
Name: True South / True North
Distance: 37638km
Dish Setup Data
Motor Latitude: 41.6°
Declination Angle: 6.4°
Dish Elevation: --°

Satellite Data
Name: Moteck SG2100
Distance: 37638km
Dish Setup Data
Motor Latitude: 41.6°
Declination Angle: 6.4°
Dish Elevation: 24°

If option 2 is the right direction to pursue it seems that the next step is to determine the following:

Declination angel for Latitude: 41.6120° = 6.4°

Elevation 41.9° - 6.4° Declination angel = 35.5° elevation of southern most part of the satellite arc

Set Motor mount bracket to latitude to 41.6120°
Set Satellite dish bracket to 35.5°
Aim dish to Azimuth (true): 180.0°

On receiver set Motor settings as follows

Motor type:USALS
Local Longitude:-73.7934°
Local Latitude: 41.6120°
Go to: Zero

So is this heading in the right direction or have I missed something?

Thank you for your help!

Understand your confusion. A few photos of the degree stampings on your dish would be nice.
Or the brand and model of it.
The concept would be to get the motor shaft, where the dish is mounted to, pointing true south.
If you raised the motor itself as high as you could towards the horizon. Making sure the 0 on the shaft was at 0.
From the DP settings the open end of the shaft (bottom) should be pointing 180 degrees, or due south.
With no magnetic influence from the metal of the Motek. A compass would be pointing 193 degrees in a straight line with the shaft. Remember that.
Next.
Looking in your manual you're told that for your latitude. 41.6 degrees. You set the scale on the Motek to right between 48-49 degrees. The scale on the other side of the motor should read your latitude. Yes?
The dish should now also be mounted aligned on the shaft pointing due south. A straight stick horizontal and level with with the dish face should read level at its widest diameter.
When you get that all set. Sharpie mark everything. Double check and make marks for a return point.
Align the dish face using the scale marks to the correct declination angle. 6.4 degrees for you.
That angle aims the dish at satellites in an imaginary line above the equator. Else you will be aimed above or below the Clarke Belt where they are parked in space. Sharpie that setting.
Okay. So which receivable sat. do you try for that is closest to your due south? That's the kicker.
You're ku band I take it. Assuming you have your receiver USALS or aiming tool set. 81W 12128 V?
Command a dish move and it should steer West (CW looking behind the dish to the sky).
Everything setup to get signal from that tp. You will need to slowly and slightly move just the dish itself left, right, up and down until you snag a signal. Once you do, lock it down. Make new distinct marks on the dish mounting.
Next will be getting tracking setup. Put your boots on!
That's a starter. Get back to us.

Reactions: Lee60
arlo, thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I will take the pics you asked for and get back to the forum sometime Friday evening if not before. You noted above 81W 12128 V and searching on both tvrosat and Lyngsat this transponder doesn't appear to be available.

You spoke about "setting the open end of the shaft (bottom) should be pointing 180 degrees, or due south.
With no magnetic influence from the metal of the Motek. A compass would be pointing 193 degrees in a straight line with the shaft. Remember that."

Prior to mounting the motor onto the pole why couldn't I just plot on the ground a straight line pointing to 180 degrees and leading that line to the mounting pole?

Where are you getting 48-49 degrees? From what I have read I'm suppose to set Set Motor mount bracket to my latitude of 41.6120°

Also what means: DP, and CW?

Thanks for the help. Let's discuss more on Friday!

arlo, thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I will take the pics you asked for and get back to the forum sometime Friday evening if not before. You noted above 81W 12128 V and searching on both tvrosat and Lyngsat this transponder doesn't appear to be available.
Oops. Brainfart. Maybe shoot for one on 87W? One of the recent ones?
You spoke about "setting the open end of the shaft (bottom) should be pointing 180 degrees, or due south.
With no magnetic influence from the metal of the Motek. A compass would be pointing 193 degrees in a straight line with the shaft. Remember that."

Prior to mounting the motor onto the pole why couldn't I just plot on the ground a straight line pointing to 180 degrees and leading that line to the mounting pole?
What I was hinting was. Look at the pic. The red N&S obviously has to be in line with the poles (with magnetic compensation). The Green lines were if you were to tip the motor back so that they were like the red ones.
You could get a more accurate shot at true South. Sure. Why not sight in a distant line with the pole and stab a sitck in the dirt. And line up the green line with it. Then lower the motor back to the correct latitude and bolt it down.

Where are you getting 48-49 degrees? From what I have read I'm suppose to set Set Motor mount bracket to my latitude of 41.6120°
Hopefully this isn't going south. The manual says for your latitude you set the motor at the angle in column 2.
And set your dish declination angle per column 3.
1681355384835.png

Also what means: DP, and CW?
Dish Pointer. CW: Clockwise, CCW: Counter Clockwise.
Thanks for the help. Let's discuss more on Friday!
1681355048321.png

Attachments

• USALS_NS.jpg
    USALS_NS.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 73
Arlo,
Here are the photographs you requested. Hope they help you see what your looking for.

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I'm fighting the clock at the moment.

Thanks!

Attachments

• NextDocument.jpeg
    NextDocument.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 83
Nope! The setup you see was created to learn in the first place if I could even get FTA. I get 97 and two others. I bought the motor and will mount it to a pole I'm putting into the ground over the weekend. As I plan that project, I want to know how to set the motor up so I can hit the ground running. Make sense?

I got the hole in the ground and I got 2 bags of concrete. Ready to mount the pole in place tomorrow morning.
I had to spend last part of the day climbing an oak tree 100 feet up to get at a branch that was very iffy. Will report back tomorrow evening.

Apparently, the next step to perform after everything in mounted to the pole is to aim the dish true south. This is where I'm confused. I'm reading two different ways to go about this.

1. One set of instructions tells the user to open the dishpointer app and guess which satellite is in the middle of the satellite arc over your area. Then base calculations you need for the motor and the dish off of it.

2. The second set of instructions I have read says to first determine where TRUE SOUTH is and then point the dish in that direction.

I'm leaning to believe that option # 2 is the better way to go. Is this correct?

Indeed, the zero-position of the motor (with the dish and LNB arm exactly in line with that) should be aligned to TRUE SOUTH.
However, when you can use USALS, you can use ANY satellite as a reference satellite for your motor setup, causing the true south position to be correct as well.

A short schematic guide/procedure for setting up a USALS motor setup I wrote in this post (click the link):

The dish should now also be mounted aligned on the shaft pointing due south. A straight stick horizontal and level with with the dish face should read level at its widest diameter.
Ah, interesting method with the spirit level!
You have to determine the exact left and right point of the dish first, though, using the fact that the exact 'bottom' of the dish is usually easy to determine, and the fact that in the "diamond-shape" top-right-bottom-left all sides are exactly equal in length (for an elliptical, flat-faced dish). [ Hopefully the dish arm does not start in the dish surface itself, but below it. Otherwise measuring from the bottom of the dish will be hampered by the position of the arm, and can only be done without the arm..! ]

Personally, after determining the exact left and right of the dish, I measure the distance from dish left to back left of the motor housing, and the distance from dish right to back right of the motor housing. These distances should be made equal, to align the dish to the motor zero.
This 'triangle procedure' can also be used for the checking if the LNB-arm is exactly in line with the dish.

I don't know which of these two methods is easier, and/or more accurate.

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: arlo
Indeed, the zero-position of the motor (with the dish and LNB arm exactly in line with that) should be aligned to TRUE SOUTH.
However, when you can use USALS, you can use ANY satellite as a reference satellite for your motor setup, causing the true south position to be correct as well.

A short schematic guide/procedure for setting up a USALS motor setup I wrote in this post (click the link):

Ah, interesting method with the spirit level!
You have to determine the exact left and right point of the dish first, though, using the fact that the exact 'bottom' of the dish is usually easy to determine, and the fact that in the "diamond-shape" top-right-bottom-left all sides are exactly equal in length (for an elliptical, flat-faced dish). [ Hopefully the dish arm does not start in the dish surface itself, but below it. Otherwise measuring from the bottom of the dish will be hampered by the position of the arm, and can only be done without the arm..! ]

Personally, after determining the exact left and right of the dish, I measure the distance from dish left to back left of the motor housing, and the distance from dish right to back right of the motor housing. These distances should be made equal, to align the dish to the motor zero.
This 'triangle procedure' can also be used for the checking if the LNB-arm is exactly in line with the dish.

I don't know which of these two methods is easier, and/or more accurate.

Greetz,
A33
Like this seems good, right?

Attachments

• USALS Pole.JPG
    USALS Pole.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: a33
Yes, that's about it.

I looked up again the drawing in this posting, on the italian forum: Perso allineamento - Pagina 2
I think that drawing is even more clear.

On my own dish (Triax 115), I also had to adjust the LNB-arm to a central position, as it was (unexpectedly!) about 2 cm off.
So since then, I always also check if the arm is also exactly in line.

Greetz,
A33

Pole lines up perfectly all round so I'm tremendously thankful for that. Especially after a night of rain. Tarp helped I guess.

As you saw my temporary setup was on a pallet. I tried to make that as perfect as I could. When I mounted the dish to the new pole and set my elevation accordingly, then, in theory, all I needed to do was scan the latitude. Bingo I hit 97 west right away.
The Koquit receiver has some 'bugs' I'm discovering one by one. Biggest issue is that it seems I can't even delete a motor setting if I screwed up in some way. Then rebooting seems to be a necessary thing to do at times...

A real time burner thats for sure!

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: arlo and FTA4PA
I'm able to see the satellites on the Clarke Belt now . I get 87W, 97W and 103W. I use to get 99.2W with Info Wars but it seems it's no longer available. Can anyone confirm if info wars is still around?

99.2W is a weird bird! I do a blind scan and signal and qualirt strength for TP's 11706,11789,11800,12095,11739,12165 and 11707 present as excellent and should present channels and nothing!

TP 12095 was missing altogether from the blind scan. I added it manually. Has to use fine tune to lock it and then I got info wars..

Reactions: FTA4PA