Invest in 4k display?

My technologically challenged gf was able to tell the difference at about 10-15 ft at Walmart. I have a hard time with it, but she saw it and has no idea what 4k is. That was on a 50".

I have a seating distance of roughly 20' so I am shopping for the largest panel in my budget... Somewhere around $3000.

I wish I was allowed and had the space for a rear projector, that would prob open a whole new set of options.

I have a seating distance of roughly 20' so I am shopping for the largest panel in my budget... Somewhere around $3000.

I wish I was allowed and had the space for a rear projector, that would prob open a whole new set of options.
May I suggest moving your seating closer to TV area? Why such as huge distance?

Just how it is. Lol. It's supposed to be a formal dining room but we don't use it. Hard to explain. It's like a big L with the short part being the dinning room and the long part the living room

My technologically challenged gf was able to tell the difference at about 10-15 ft at Walmart. I have a hard time with it, but she saw it and has no idea what 4k is. That was on a 50".
Same TV or two different ones?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Two different. I'm not convinced that the employees that setup the TVs calibrated them right either, because the 1080 LED looked soft. Even before I looked at the 4k, I was just walking by and thought it looked soft, and naturally the employees would not let me attempt to fix it. So that could have played a part as well, TBH. But the 4K did look really nice, and you can definitely see sharper, more crisp pictures than a 1080, but not enough to make the current prices worth it.

Reactions: Tampa8
Calibrated display TVs at Walmart? Unless you're looking at TVs at a dedicated AV store, the TVs aren't going to be calibrated at all.

She didn't see a difference between 4K and 1080p, she saw the difference between two DIFFERENT TV models.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobvick
4k TV are not that expensive anymore. consider this you can buy a 50 inch 2015 smart tv at best buy for $1000 dollars. The brand is a Samsung TV

Yea true.. But when you can get a 65 inch HDTV for 600 bucks at Walmart, and the 65 4k is 1300 ... I'm leaning on waiting another few years until that price drops at the screen size I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 60" Samsung Plasma that is about 4 years old now. I have thought about moving it to my bedroom and getting a 65-70" 4K set, but I want to wait for some kind of "standard" to emerge, and for more content as well. I have always bought Sony and Samsung in the past, but I have looked at and read a lot about Vizio lately and their P series seems quite impressive, but I'll probably wait until at least next year to bite. Perhaps by then there will be more of a standard for the industry to come out.

I see 8k coming before 4k is even adopted as the new standard for tvs. The tv makers seem hell bent on keeping people upgrading to the next biggest and baddest displays ,not to mention the phone makers do the same thing. Apple is the worst. They come out with a new I phone every year and there is little to any difference in the models except it is NEW. I just bought a Phillips 49" smart hdtv off of Amazon and a 32" Magnavox hdtv for the master bedroom from Target. Both together came to less than $800.00 . I don't see upgrading again for at least 5 years. So 2020 is the next time I will buy a tv -unless I suffer an unexpected loss in between then and now.

I don't see 8k ever being used at home. The size screen you would need even to see that resolution would be huge. I see 8k being only used for commercial use.

Reactions: navychop
I see 8k coming before 4k is even adopted as the new standard for tvs. The tv makers seem hell bent on keeping people upgrading to the next biggest and baddest displays ,not to mention the phone makers do the same thing. Apple is the worst. They come out with a new I phone every year and there is little to any difference in the models except it is NEW. I just bought a Phillips 49" smart hdtv off of Amazon and a 32" Magnavox hdtv for the master bedroom from Target. Both together came to less than $800.00 . I don't see upgrading again for at least 5 years. So 2020 is the next time I will buy a tv -unless I suffer an unexpected loss in between then and now.
That's an off-base snipe at Apple. Compared to other phone manufacturers that release a new handset every few months, Apple's phone release cycle is very reasonable. Every time I've upgraded my phone, the new one has been noticeably better. The phone is redesigned every two years and in the in-between years they make the internals a hell of a lot better. I probably won't buy the new phone this year, unless that "little to any difference" in models is something that will greatly improved my normal use of the phone (say a greatly improved camera).

I'm not an Apple guy but Android phones come out every few months from the various manufacturers. Samsung keeps turning them out relentlessly. The difference of course is Apple is the only place to by an Apple/Iphone. Android has dozens of different Android phones.

Reactions: CrimsonKnightDX
If it looks that good , I will definitely wait to upgrade to 8k. To me there simply is not much difference between 4k and 1080p on most smaller size tvs. I can only fit around 50" - 55" in my living room. You couldn't see a difference unless you sat right up on it using 4k in that same screen size.
Then there is no need to upgrade to an 8k either...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts