iOS 7 is coming to iPhone 4 and up, but not all features will be available on all devices

This is where I find the fragmentation argument that Apple is so proud to make specious in my opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion but to a developer the Android fragmentation issue is a huge problem. It is virtually impossible to create an Android app that runs on all (or even most) Android devices. This is partly due to the various revisions of the software deployed and partly due to the hardware. One simple example - some devices don't support a touch screen, while some support touch but not multi-touch others do support multi-touch. On the IOS end, it's true that you limit your audience when you make use of features that have been added to newer devices, but most apps don't require that you do that. Also, Apple has maintained a consistent set of tools and interfaces for developing IOS apps. The Android program interfaces have had significant changes made to them that add to an already bad problem. Unlike you, Google understands this is a big problem - they're trying to fix it.

Last edited:
3rd gen iPad is just a year old yet won't have all of the features of iOS 7. Nice one apple...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing of interest for my wife's iPad3.

We'll continue to live without it. Not buying another iPad for many years.

You're entitled to your opinion but to a developer the Android fragmentation issue is a huge problem. It is virtually impossible to create an Android app that runs on all (or even most) Android devices. This is partly due to the various revisions of the software deployed and partly due to the hardware. One simple example - some devices don't support a touch screen, while some support touch but not multi-touch others do support multi-touch. On the IOS end, it's true that you limit your audience when you make use of features that have been added to newer devices, but most apps don't require that you do that. Also, Apple has maintained a consistent set of tools and interfaces for developing IOS apps. The Android program interfaces have had significant changes made to them that add to an already bad problem. Unlike you, Google understands this is a big problem - they're trying to fix it.

How many non-touch android devices have you actually seen? There are some resistive-touch devices that are single-touch only, but those are $30 devices from China. I don't believe you will be able to walk into any reputable store and find any Android devices that are not multi-touch.

Google is doing things to help developers. The latest versions of the development software use frames to create responsive design with apps. Larger screens show more information, smaller screens get split up into multiple screens, etc.

I take John's point to be poking fun at how far Apple and Apple fans have distorted the fragmentation argument. From your argument, it is almost impossible to create an app that will run on the majority of phones released in the last two years. However, there are many many apps that do run on virtually EVERY Android phone released in the last two years. I have programmed Android apps(albeit very small and limited ones), and know that there are many things that you can do that are agnostic to the hardware. The problems that many developers have had have been with screen resolutions(which frames and vector graphics help), and with different sensors and such.

With the extreme level that Apple fans have pushed the fact that you can't do everything on ALL Android devices does make it relevant to point out that now you cannot do everything on ALL IOS devices.

Last edited:
My point, which RonJohn gets, is that saying everybody is on X on apple but you can't actually run the entirety of X make it specious. That's being generous.

Which iOS devices will get multitasking? My guess is the 4s and 5. Maybe the 4 but I have reservations about RAM. But apple will count those that can't multitask in the ios7 bucket even though a big feature can't run on the hardware.

But woohoo, you can have flatland on your phone ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My point, which RonJohn gets, is that saying everybody is on X on apple but you can't actually run the entirety of X make it specious. That's being generous.

Which iOS devices will get multitasking? My guess is the 4s and 5. Maybe the 4 but I have reservations about RAM. But apple will count those that can't multitask in the ios7 bucket even though a big feature can't run on the hardware.

But woohoo, you can have flatland on your phone ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So the preferable model is to leave older devices on old outdated firmware that is no longer patched or supported? Sorry, but I'm not buying that argument. Does google provide software patches for old android versions that have issues, or are people running those old phones just SOL? I bet plenty of people in that boat would jump at taking any improvements they can get from the newest version of the software, even if their phone's hardware prevents them from being able to use everything.

Are there any 3 year old android phones that can run jelly bean?

And you're missing a whole aspect of the fragmentation aspect that apple beats android hands down: when a new iOS version rolls out, everyone with a supported device has access to it right away. No waiting weeks or months for manufacturers and carriers to change their additional software and getting a rollout release schedule ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So the preferable model is to leave older devices on old outdated firmware that is no longer patched or supported? Sorry, but I'm not buying that argument. Does google provide software patches for old android versions that have issues, or are people running those old phones just SOL? I bet plenty of people in that boat would jump at taking any improvements they can get from the newest version of the software, even if their phone's hardware prevents them from being able to use everything.

And you're missing a whole aspect of the fragmentation aspect that apple beats android hands down: when a new iOS version rolls out, everyone with a supported device has access to it right away. No waiting weeks or months for manufacturers and carriers to change their additional software and getting a rollout release schedule ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Google only provides patches to the Nexus phones. All other devices receive patches from the manufacturers. Google does roll out OS updates to the Nexus devices in a similar fashion to Apple. The almost three year old Nexus S does in fact have Jelly Bean. I unfortunately have two phones, a Droid Razr and an HTC Incredible. The Razr has Jelly Bean. The Incredible is still on Gingerbread. To me personally, the fact that the three year old Incredible is not on the latest OS does not cause any issue.

I do admit that Apple getting the carriers to allow Apple to make OS changes directly is an advantage to IOS. However, that point is very different than the usual points such as suggesting that if you pick a random Android device it might not even support touch.

There are actual advantages to IOS, and there are actual advantages to Android. One of the advantages of IOS is that almost every device will get updated when a new version arrives. John is poking fun at the people who take that to an extreme and make it a point to say that every IOS device will operate exactly the same.

How many non-touch android devices have you actually seen? There are some resistive-touch devices that are single-touch only, but those are $30 devices from China. I don't believe you will be able to walk into any reputable store and find any Android devices that are not multi-touch.
Three with no touch and half a dozen with single touch. Admittedly, this was in the early days of Android but coupled with other compatibility problems it was enough to chase many developers away from the platform.

As I said, Google recognizes that there is a problem and is working to correct it. They still have a long way to go, but it is a situation that is improving.

Since the software is controlled by the phone manufacturer and the carrier (without rooting / bootloader unlocking) google doesn't directly provide them. That's the model and it's imperfect.

Are there 3 year old iPhones that run all of iOS 7? We're back to the specious argument, that part of X is better than all of X-1. We shall disagree on that. Look how cool that could be, if only my phone would run it...

As far as 3 year old phones running Jelly Bean, I'd have to see what phones are 3 years old. I know many 2 year old phones, like the Galaxy Nexus and S2 have jelly bean running.

Everybody gets acces to some of it. Only the newest stuff runs all of it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Google only provides patches to the Nexus phones. All other devices receive patches from the manufacturers. Google does roll out OS updates to the Nexus devices in a similar fashion to Apple. The almost three year old Nexus S does in fact have Jelly Bean. I unfortunately have two phones, a Droid Razr and an HTC Incredible. The Razr has Jelly Bean. The Incredible is still on Gingerbread. To me personally, the fact that the three year old Incredible is not on the latest OS does not cause any issue.

I do admit that Apple getting the carriers to allow Apple to make OS changes directly is an advantage to IOS. However, that point is very different than the usual points such as suggesting that if you pick a random Android device it might not even support touch.

There are actual advantages to IOS, and there are actual advantages to Android. One of the advantages of IOS is that almost every device will get updated when a new version arrives. John is poking fun at the people who take that to an extreme and make it a point to say that every IOS device will operate exactly the same.

my droid bionic is running jelly bean.

The original article and feature support in ios 7 is impressive, arguments in this thread much less so.

I have a plain-Jane iPhone 4, and feel well supported.
Not giving me Siri (and other features) is just a mild nudge to move up.
Since I run iOS 5 , not 6, I'm hard to incentivize. ;)

Note also, Apple is really just supporting 3 phones. (4, 4S, 5)
That's a lot less trouble than dozens of Android models sold in the same time frame. :)

I like the new iOS 7. I'm using it now and am impressed with what they've done. Finally Bluetooth and options are in reach with one swipe up. It's a cleaner look. Messages is easier to read. Safari is improved with navigation through it much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts