Iowa Roll Call?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glad to see you on here! How is your setup? Any questions or problems let me know!

I bought a DG-380 motor after I bought the 84E dish/ Classic NA receiver from you. Getting everything up was a bit of an adventure:

1. I used a DBS mount on the roof, which is probably not rated to the weight I put on it. It's not quite plumb (pretty good N-S but maybe a 2-4 degree angle to the west). I'll maybe try to figure out how to straighten it up after winter.

2. I didn't realize until after getting the motor that it is designed to be mounted shaft-down and the dish is built to go over the motor, not under. I had to remove the mounting hardware on the dish and turn it upside-down. I then bought some clear plastic tubing as a spacer since the shaft diameter is smaller than the dish hardware mount diameter.

3. After getting the motor and LNB mounted to the dish, I had to carry the whole somewhat heavy assembly up a ladder and slip it onto the DBS mount while standing on the ladder. About halfway through I realized that it was perhaps a really bad idea, but I somehow managed to do it without falling.

I started out with the Fortec Universal LNB, but a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to play with a circular LNB as well. I understand universal LNBs can be difficult to use with disecq switches, so I took the Fortec down and mounted the Primestar standard LNB with a DirecTV circular LNB zip-tied next to it. I have them going to a 4x1 switch (two inputs unused) and then to the motor.

On the receiver side, the Classic NA is the main receiver I use. I have an analog receiver (Pansat KR-400B) I bought at Goodwill for $5 a few years ago on a whim, and I have a computer with a Twinhan 102G card and DVBViewer. If I'm using either one of those, I generally slave it off the NA (the KR-400B has to be slaved, but sometimes I'll remove the DC block off the 102G and play with that with the NA turned off). I used the analog receiver for the first time for an Iowa State game a few weeks ago (found out the game was analog shortly after kickoff, dragged out the receiver, hooked it up, and figured out how to use it shortly before the second half started).

Because of the issue with the DBS mount, I have trouble with G18 (123 W) and anything west. I think I can get as far east as IS707 (53 W) before the rain gutter keeps me from rotating the dish any farther east. I tried adjusting the dish to get the west satellites in better, but then I couldn't get much in any further east than around 85 W or so. I'm now back to where I was before. I think I'll do more with that after winter is over, because I'd really like to get G18 in.

WOW! You have been busy! If you EVER need a hand, just let me know! I would be glad to help. I go to Marion a few times a month as my favorite gun store is there - Cedar Valley Outfitters. Glad you are having fun with the FTA!

Cedar Rapids

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the forum too well lately :p

In that case, I probably just got the two confused (diseqc vs 22kHz). I never did actually try the universal LNB with the diseqc switch. The standard lnb had slightly better reception when I installed it anyway, and I don't have much use for the universal frequencies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)